PDA

View Full Version : Frame Design Features -- What does what??

bladepdb
03-16-2009, 05:51 PM
For some reason I seem to be inclined towards thin, flat beams (e.g. my racquet I play with is K 6.1 Tour). I've tried several racquets and for some reason I always seem inclined to like thin flat beam bodied racquets as opposed to wide body/varying thickness frames. Any ideas as to why I might prefer these over the wider body frames?

As far as I know, wider bodies generate more power. But that's about all I know and I'm not even sure if that's accurate, haha.

What are the effects of a thin beam vs. a wide beam anyway?

PS: On a side note, I also have noticed a tendency to like smaller more compact throats vs. elongated throats. Again, the K6.1 Tour is the example of a compact throat, as opposed to say most other racquets on the market which have a more elongated/fuller throat. Any thoughts on this as well? Effects/pros/cons???

antgun007
03-16-2009, 09:32 PM
thin beams equals control. thick I believe are for power. If you can create your own power, judging by your racket choice, a thin beam would be better suited for you for more control. anyway, It might just be all in your mind. I always wondered, if I were to play with a 20 sports chalet racket and didnt know it, would I notice anything. probably, but who knows

defrule
03-16-2009, 09:36 PM
What makes me wonder are the two bumps at 3 and 9 o'clock on the 6.1/Prostaff etc...

Are they made so more mass is gathered at the sides of the racket head to give it more stability?

bladepdb
03-16-2009, 09:48 PM
thin beams equals control. thick I believe are for power. If you can create your own power, judging by your racket choice, a thin beam would be better suited for you for more control. anyway, It might just be all in your mind. I always wondered, if I were to play with a 20 sports chalet racket and didnt know it, would I notice anything. probably, but who knows

Well see that's the thing, I can't seem to think it is mental because this observation is retrospective from back when I was picking out a racquet last year, when I had very little insight on the effects of a racquet's design or let alone even realized the role of stiffness, balance, etc.... You probably are right about the control vs power since I like to take a fairly long swing.

What makes me wonder are the two bumps at 3 and 9 o'clock on the 6.1/Prostaff etc...

Are they made so more mass is gathered at the sides of the racket head to give it more stability?

Yeah the "bumps" @ 3 & 9 are the PWS (Perimeter Weighting System I believe). They are designed for, according to Wilson, torsional stability. I.e. it prevents the racquet from twisting easily during a fast shot. Nothing special (I haven't had much issue with twisting when I had a Liquidmetal Radical anyway); I've heard applying lead tape in that area gives most other racquets the same effect (as long as you counterbalance the weight there weight there with something else lower down in the racquet).

0d1n
03-17-2009, 03:50 AM

Some of the lowest powered rackets I've played are the RQIS Tour 95, and the Fischer Magnetic Pro no 1, both of which have 25 mm beam in the head.
All wilsons from the 6.1 series are thinner than that and are MUCH more powerful than both rackets I mentioned.
I don't believe beam width directly influences power, there are far more important factors when it comes to power (i.e swingweight, mass, stiffness).

GPB
03-17-2009, 08:21 AM
TW has a page on racquet features and what they are for... somewhere...

bladepdb
03-17-2009, 08:30 PM
TW has a page on racquet features and what they are for... somewhere...

Well yeah they'll give you the generic run-down that most people would already know if they are interested in racquet design. I'm looking more for rationale/correlation between form and function.

VGP
03-17-2009, 08:33 PM
I know at least that the octagonal stick part is where you hold it.....

antgun007
03-17-2009, 08:42 PM
0d1n...you are correct when it comes to power rackets. there are a lot of factors that come into play. I have used a k6.1 and found good power with control. the Kobra tour was all power, wide beam width on that one, it all comes down to the type of game you play and your mental game. always felt this way with any sport. if you are head strong, sky's the limit

bladepdb
03-18-2009, 01:50 PM
I know at least that the octagonal stick part is where you hold it.....

Oh. Damn I've been doing it wrong for all these years.