PDA

View Full Version : Storing a racket ... cut out strings?

Revman
03-05-2005, 06:49 PM
My apologies if this question has already been addressed elsewhere, but when putting away a racket for a long period of time (a year or even longer, say), is it best to cut out the strings? Is it possible that any structural damage will occur if strings are left intact indefinitely, during a period of non-use? Thanks so much for any advice.

gmlasam
03-05-2005, 06:54 PM
For me, I cut out the strings if I decided to put away a racquet or some racquets for storage. I believe it will help prolong the life of the racquet, no stress on the frame without the strings. I would also store the racquets in a sealed plastic bag.

Morpheus
03-05-2005, 07:41 PM
I usually cut out the strings if I'm really trying to save the racket. If I retire a racket, I just leave it as is.

NoBadMojo
03-05-2005, 07:54 PM
i think it's fine to store the racquet strung as long as there are no broken strings. good idea to keep it out of a hostile environment like a hot attic or a damp basement...i have some Snauwearts that were last strung probably in the late 70's and we hit them once in a while and they still hit fine.

Morpheus
03-05-2005, 07:57 PM
Mojo, that's a good point. How you store the racket is more important than whether it is strung. Keep it dry and at room temp.

Flatspin
03-06-2005, 04:28 AM
NoBadMojo, those racquets strung in the 70's, your older than dirt! I remember those though! lol!

NoBadMojo
03-06-2005, 05:23 AM
ya man..i'm an oldie....the ranked Babbleot juniors just hate it when they get dusted by an old man as they leave the court dragging their Babbleot team bags behind them ...;)

ibemadskillzz
03-06-2005, 06:35 AM
does anyone still have the pictures showing how to cut out the strings proper way?
Post it or post the link please.

gmlasam
03-06-2005, 06:50 AM
does anyone still have the pictures showing how to cut out the strings proper way?
Post it or post the link please.
CLiCK HERE!!! (http://www.sptennis.com/stringer.asp#Ready)