PDA

View Full Version : ???That's the commercial problem..

Dorfs
03-17-2009, 05:31 AM
Hey,
I just talked with a guy who owns a shop and is a official wilson dealer (don't know if you can say it like this)
The thing is, I just talked with him about the wilson racquets and I said: If I want to buy 4 wilson racquets, let's say 4 K Blade 98, with the exact weight of 304 gr and the balance of 32.5 cm, would I be able to get 4 same racquets?

He said: Maybe yes, maybe no.The thing is, that they don't do 1000000 K Blade 98 (for example) in a row.The do maybe 3000 K blades, then some other racquets, then some more and then other racquets and so on.
He said, that the weight can be inclusive 308 gr if it's gone pretty wrong and that the balance can also move up or down.
And as there were many people who wanted to exchange the racquet because it wasn't as they wished wilson now doesn't exchange them anymore, as it was to extreme.
They say you have also to be tolerant until some limit...

I heard about it, but never thought it would be that extreme.I mean 4 gr +- can make a big difference.Pros do not have the same problem as they can say how they want the racquet to be and they would have to do a special production.I guess that's the commercial problem :(
--->THIS IS NOT ONLY ABOUT WILSON RACQUETS AS HE SAID THIS IS FOR ALL COMPANYS.

What do you guys think?

Gottabekin
03-17-2009, 05:35 AM
I have 2 Dunlop AG100 bought from 2 very different places, one in Asia, and one in the States. Specs are exactly the same and on the spot.

Rabbit
03-17-2009, 05:37 AM
I have 3 Dunlop AG 100s, all purchased at TW and all have exactly the same specs.

Dorfs
03-17-2009, 05:39 AM
wow, that's good.Yeah normally it is not much problem, but I remember when I was 15 I got this Tecnifibre racquets.3 were identical but one was ab****ely different.It felt much heavier than the others and was head heavier.I played the racquet twice and then selled it to a friend who liked it after demoing it

jrod
03-17-2009, 05:41 AM
+/- 4 grams is typical of commercially produced racquets. I believe only Fischer guarantees consistency on their racquets specs. You have to inquire about matching. If you request it, TW will attempt to match the static weight of the frames, to the extent possible. They have done this for me in the past. They also will customize frames for you for a fee. Suggest you call and ask them.

origmarm
03-17-2009, 06:48 AM
Essentially this is a QC discussion again. The short answer is that all manufacturers have stated tolerances. Wilson has a larger stated tolerance than say Yonex or Fischer (these are the only three I know the official position on). Most manufacturers I have come across have variance and yes you have to be tolerant of this. What I have found is that some tend to exceed their stated tolerances more than others. It's the subject of some heated debate on this board. I refuse to buy Wilson racquets anymore because of this, primarily due to balance point and stiffness variations. Incidentally no manufacturer specifies their RA (stiffness) tolerance, I would be interested to see this.

The three I had confirmed by the manufacturer:
Wilson: +/- 3 pts on balance and +/- 2.5% on static weight
Yonex: +/- 1pt on balance and +/- 5g on static weight
Fischer: +/- 0.5cm (about 1.5pts) on balance and "zero tolerance" on the static weight

I will pay the extra for matching from TW or will match them myself with lead tape and time if they are close enough. Currently I play Vantages so it's a non issue for me now.

I find I'm pretty tolerant of weight differences (I can't really tell within 5-10g) if the balance is good. If the balance is off by more than a point or so I can tell straight away even if the weights are the same. As long as they balance right within reason I don't care.

Orig

jmverdugo
03-17-2009, 06:51 AM
I bought 1 RDS001MP in Brazil, and 3 in USA. They all are pretty much identical.

adidasman
03-17-2009, 06:55 AM
Whern I played the Kneissl Toms Reach Machine, I had six of them - and every one was substantially different. I had to spend hours matching them up. And the worst part was that it wasn't just a gram or two high or low - it was several, and never in the same place. One frame needed weight in the head, another in the handle... Still not as bad as my old Donnay Pro One Internationals; I bought one and went to put the string stencil on, and the stencil didn't want to go inside the head. I was baffled until I put two frames side by side and saw that one's head was significantly smaller than the other. Talk about a lack of QC...!

Nellie
03-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Funny - I have 3 Head radicals racquets, each with a different shaped head, but I thought that it was due to stringing errors.

origmarm
03-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Funny - I have 3 Head radicals racquets, each with a different shaped head, but I thought that it was due to stringing errors.

With the Radical it's possible, with the Trisys and LM series anyhow. I had some LMs for a while and they have very flexible heads that distort a lot when stringing if not mounted well.

Their QC was ok, for the ones I had anyhow.

Dorfs
03-17-2009, 09:31 AM
I agree.One of my friends had this problem with the LM radical aswell.
He was very angry about that.That's why he strings his racquets on his own now :twisted: