PDA

View Full Version : is the prestige pro 600 the same as a prestige classic?

Young Pete
03-05-2005, 08:47 PM
anyone want to comment?

thanks.

tandayu
03-05-2005, 09:27 PM
If you are referring to the "prestige pro 600" on ****, actually that one is Prestige 600 (grey with lime green bumper guard). I could be wrong, but the prestige 600 feels different than PC600. It is lighter to swing the racket, and it could be due to the absence of the cap grommet. I have not hit much with my prestige 600 with all the rain in Socal, and it also has cheap string on it.

The earlier original prestige pro is the first version of the prestige line which was still made in USA which is rare as of now. I like it very much, but not better than PC 600.

Colpo
03-07-2005, 03:30 PM
I tell people that they're the same because it seems to calm their concerns that Head monkeyed around with the formula over the years. Many posters with an opinion on this board will tell you there is a difference, specifically a more deadened and less lively feel as time has passed. Fact is, you'd probably have a very, very hard time now finding anyone at Head who could authoritatively comment on this, since the earliest Prestige Pros go back to about 1986. In short, it's flat-out imposible to know.

tandayu
03-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Colpo, there are several people on this board that has played with various version of the Prestige. Maybe nobody at Head knows, but not on this board.
They can't all be the same, and not all different also. Maybe you mean the differences is too small to be noticed?

Colpo
03-08-2005, 11:44 AM
tandayu, I myself would fall into the category of posters who've played with several generations of the Prestige mid over the years. I go back to the US-made Prestige Pro, which I first bought and played with in 1990. I've played with regularity the Prestige 600, Prestige Pro 600 and Prestige Classic 600. I can't tell any difference that I can't attribute to strings, tension, grip, etc. - long story short, I think they're pretty close to identical. I've never had all of them strung up with the same string at the same tension with the same grip wrapped the same way, etc. Why can't it be the case that it's the same frame?

tandayu
03-08-2005, 09:11 PM
Colpo, read the current thread on the "racket section". Well, everybody has different feels on it.

What is the color of you Prestige pro 600? I just want to make sure I am talking about the right racket.

Colpo
03-09-2005, 07:19 AM
The Prestige Pro 600 was a Euro frame whose cosmetics were very similar to, but not identical to, the US-made Prestige Pro. The 600 featured a dark brown hoop (matching the full CAP grommet and bumper), fading to a deep flame red throat. The US-made Prestige Pro had the same colorway, but the fade to deep flame red started higher up on the racquet (towards the bottom of the hoop, above where the CAP finished). Great, great looking frame (either version, but especially the 600 because the entire hoop's dark brown color invisibles the CAP bumper).

Pro_Tour_630
03-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Why can't it be the case that it's the same frame?"

colpo, if the PC600 from lets say end of 90's to intelli prestige old then new to Lm prestige to the new and coming flex and soon to be nano prestige of tomorrow play different, why is it hard to believe that the 1/2 dozen prestige line from the mid 80''s to mid 90's also play different ?

Colpo
03-09-2005, 12:09 PM
michael, the difference in your comparison is that from '86 to the late '90s, Head never claimed to make any changes to the composition of the Prestige mid. Any difference there would be unintentional by Head. In your second example, from the PC 600 to the i.Prestige, to the LM Prestige, Head is actually marketing those three frames as being subtlely different from each other. Each newer version is supposed to be an improvement over the last, so it would make sense that they'd feel different.

Think about it, the whole point of the PC 600 was that Head was returning to a non-Suspension Grip version of the Prestige mid, just like the original versions of the frame. Head, on paper at least, was trying to make the various models feel the same in that example. Not true anymore.

Pro_Tour_630
03-09-2005, 06:44 PM
I understand, also would like to add that there is a difference between the "rubber" old iprestige and the newer non ruber paint of the iprestige which goes beyond manufacture tolerance, USRSA also claims this discrepancy which is possible from just the type of paint used ?!?!

anyway IMO and from my tests, the lime neon green Prestige 600 was tinny and stiffer than the prestige pros (US or austrian made, I have both), it swong lighter even though it was just as heavy because it did not have CAP, I hated it, also the beam width appeared to be thinner than norm of the prestige line, flat non metallic paint could have played a role

tandayu
03-09-2005, 08:07 PM
How about the prestige 600 with lime green full cap grommet? Is this only for Muster or also marketed to the public in Europe? I think the full cap grommet can make the racket more stable & head heavier.

The Prestige 600 is the least I like among the Prestiges models. I might try put the cap grommet on this frame, to see if any improvement can be made.

Colpo, your Prestige pro 600 (brown/red) is the last version of the Prestige Pro. I am still looking for the one you have. I never see this one other than on pictures. I like the brown one that I have, which I think came before yours.

PrestigeClassic
03-09-2005, 08:47 PM
I understand, also would like to add that there is a difference between the "rubber" old iprestige and the newer non ruber paint of the iprestige which goes beyond manufacture tolerance, USRSA also claims this discrepancy which is possible from just the type of paint used ?!?!

anyway IMO and from my tests, the lime neon green Prestige 600 was tinny and stiffer than the prestige pros (US or austrian made, I have both), it swong lighter even though it was just as heavy because it did not have CAP, I hated it, also the beam width appeared to be thinner than norm of the prestige line, flat non metallic paint could have played a role

Well, I didn't think there was never any matte Prestige 600/Pro/Classic frames. The silver/black Prestige 600 with lime green grommets sure looked to have metallic paint; I've seen multiple frames with paint in various conditions with either of two slightly different cosmetics. When the paint wears down around the throat (how does that happen on rackets?), you can more clearly see the silver metallic flakes. Perhaps the black mixed in makes it appear less shiny, but I don't know.

Among i.prestige frames, and anything else, I've been told that matte paint makes frames play stiffer than glossy paint. Not sure about the matte i.prestige version, it is sure matte, but also rubbery. Weird. And a half-ounce difference in weight? Is that with both frames strung/unstrung?

Pro_Tour_630
03-10-2005, 05:08 AM
"Perhaps the black mixed in makes it appear less shiny"

could be, but

"the silver metallic flakes"

when I said "Metallic" I was refering to the needle point tiny "pearls" with high gloss polish giving it that glitter look which I did not see on the lime green/gray Prestige 600

Colpo
03-10-2005, 06:54 AM
How about the prestige 600 with lime green full cap grommet? Is this only for Muster or also marketed to the public in Europe? I think the full cap grommet can make the racket more stable & head heavier.

The Prestige 600 is the least I like among the Prestiges models. I might try put the cap grommet on this frame, to see if any improvement can be made.

Colpo, your Prestige pro 600 (brown/red) is the last version of the Prestige Pro. I am still looking for the one you have. I never see this one other than on pictures. I like the brown one that I have, which I think came before yours.

Tandayu, in response:

1. There was only one version of the silver/gray/lime green Prestige 600, '92 model year. It was sold off-the-shelf around the world with a traditional grommet/bumper. However, the frame was made using the same mould as the Prestige Pro/Pro 600. This mould placed notches, one on each side, at the base of the racquethead to accomodate the full CAP bumper. At some point, for this frame, Head began to manufacture a lime green full CAP grommet/bumper. Muster was the highest-profile user of this set-up, through 1994. Head made these lime green CAPs available for purchase to the general public, too, for a while. The important point: there's only one Prestige 600 frame, but two kinds of lime green grommet/bumpers available for use with it.

2. You're right, the all-brown Prestige Pro was the first version of the Prestige Pro in Europe, circa 1986. It was followed by the brown/red set-up, then the silver/gray/lime green (although almost all Head pros continued to use the brown/red set-up until the mid-90s).

tandayu
03-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Colpo, I remember back in January 1986, I saw the turquise graphite pro was just released together with Graphite Master. Later I saw Tim Mayotte & David Wheaton play with graphite pro. The red US prestige pro must be released later than 1986.

This is the story I heard from a friend which could be true or not. The original prestige in the USA was the red Prestige Pro, then it was followed by the Prestige 600 (grey/lime green). It seems people did not like it, because it feels lighter, unstable, etc. Then Head back to the spec of Prestige Pro, and have the name "Classic" to refer back to the original Prestige Pro. What do you think? Is this true?

Colpo
03-11-2005, 06:54 AM
Colpo, I remember back in January 1986, I saw the turquise graphite pro was just released together with Graphite Master. Later I saw Tim Mayotte & David Wheaton play with graphite pro. The red US prestige pro must be released later than 1986.

This is the story I heard from a friend which could be true or not. The original prestige in the USA was the red Prestige Pro, then it was followed by the Prestige 600 (grey/lime green). It seems people did not like it, because it feels lighter, unstable, etc. Then Head back to the spec of Prestige Pro, and have the name "Classic" to refer back to the original Prestige Pro. What do you think? Is this true?

In response,

The US-made Prestige Pro was released as part of Head's 1988 model year. It had no legs due to Head's poor marketing of the frame (and the Elite and Elektra Pros), but mostly because folks were buying up the new widebodies. By 1990, the Prestige Pro was available for closeout prices. In short, Head DID NOT continue the Prestige Pro beyond the 1989 model year, at most, and maybe made it only for the '88 model year.

I've never heard of any complaints with the Prestige 600 frame. The only differences in playability were due to the stock bumper strip - the composition was reportedly the same as the Pro. Head repackaged it as the Trysis 300 for '93 (w/ a Suspension Grip), and as the Prestige Tour for '94 (SG grip). The Classic was just a marketing response/effort to bring back the old Pro/600 model with a regular grip and with cosmetics that resembled the old Pro/Pro 600.