PDA

View Full Version : Does this win have any merit?

cknobman
03-17-2009, 07:01 AM
Last night I was playing a local tennis center league as a substitute for a friend who could not make it.

This league is not USTA sanctioned and has a format where you play singles and then doubles with your singles opponent. You play 14 total games of singles and 14 total games of doubles. Winner is determined by player with most games won.

Well I am a USTA rated 3.5 player and my singles opponent plays USTA as well and is rated 4.0 (I asked him).

I ended up beating him in singles 11-3 and gave him 1 of those games because I could see he was getting very discouraged and frustrated.

The catch is that my singles opponent is an older gentleman probably in his late 50's and could not move very well and I am under 30 an move just fine. He was great at hitting my medium paced shots that were not too far off center of court but if I amped up the tempo or went corner to corner he just could not move fast enough to get the ball (or make a very weak floating return).

I would like to take pride in beating a 4.0 since Im a 3.5 but somehow I just dont feel that great about it.

What do you guys think?

Caloi
03-17-2009, 07:10 AM
I played a older gentleman last summer that had very bad knees. He literally limped from his car to the court. He had knee braces on both knees as well. We talked for a bit then warmed up. He hit the hell out of the ball! Very hard, deep, heavy shots.

I played my butt off and ended up winning after a 4-6, 7-5, then a tie break to settle the third. I was very proud of my win since I didn't hit a single drop shot. I probably could have beaten him much easier had i gone to a drop shot/lob game. Instead I just grinded it out with a few volleys in there.

I'd say you should be proud of your victory. Heck, I'd have bought the first round!

His 4.0 standing is there because he obviously has beaten enough of those "young 3.5's" in the past. Do you think he felt badly for beating those young, not as experienced 3.5's to get to where he is? I don't think so.

Congrats on the win!

LeeD
03-17-2009, 07:18 AM
Take any win or loss with a grain of salt !!
One match means nothing, especially if it's not an important tournament.
Practice matches mean less.
Coming from an old fart at 60, playing competitive sports since 13.
I can sometimes play even with 5.5's. Means they're not serious, but I was and was also lucky.
Playing lesser players, I sometimes don't hit ANY groundstrokes....and still can win. Trying new stuff against lesser players keeps the match interesting for a the better player.

Caloi
03-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Take any win or loss with a grain of salt !!
One match means nothing, especially if it's not an important tournament.
Practice matches mean less.
Coming from an old fart at 60, playing competitive sports since 13.
I can sometimes play even with 5.5's. Means they're not serious, but I was and was also lucky.
Playing lesser players, I sometimes don't hit ANY groundstrokes....and still can win. Trying new stuff against lesser players keeps the match interesting for a the better player.

Meh, 3.5 to 4.0 isn't THAT big of a jump in levels. I seriously doubt the 4.0 guy was holding back.

Vik
03-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Was he really 4.0? Did you look him up?

If he normally loses at 4.0, then no I wouldn't take pride in beating him. Besides, you were playing him in singles. He probably has a 4.0 rating due to doubles play.

cknobman
03-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Vik: He really is a 4.0 and yes your correct he only plays doubles most of the time.

LeeD: For the record it was not a practice match. Even though it was not a USTA match it was still a local league match where the winner of the league gets a free pass on the next season and runner up gets 50% off. So its not like people are out there with a "I dont care" attitude.

Caloi: I know how you feel. My second 3.5 match over a year ago I came up against an old fart who wore knee braces on both knees and elbow braces on both elbows. I thought to myself "this guy is toast make him move and its all over". Well he proceeded to spank my butt 6-0,6-0. I never had a chance to make him move because he had me moving on the defense the whole time!!! LOL

Vik
03-17-2009, 12:25 PM
I would like to take pride in beating a 4.0 since Im a 3.5 but somehow I just dont feel that great about it.

What do you guys think?

Sounds like you don't feel good about it b/c you don't really feel like he was 4.0 quality.
IMO, you should take pride in how you play versus how your opponent plays. If you played well, then take pride in beating the 4.0 (or a 3.5, whatever). But if you just played so-so then don't be happy with it.

But I bet your friend appreciated the beating you handed out for him :)

goober
03-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Vik: He really is a 4.0 and yes your correct he only plays doubles most of the time.

So he is 4.0 doubles and probably weak 3.5 singles because of limited mobility. I would not really focus on his rating too much thinking "ooh I beat a 4.0". To be realistic you would never meet this guy in a USTA singles tournament or league.

cknobman
03-19-2009, 05:22 AM
So he is 4.0 doubles and probably weak 3.5 singles because of limited mobility. I would not really focus on his rating too much thinking "ooh I beat a 4.0". To be realistic you would never meet this guy in a USTA singles tournament or league.

Yeah thats what I was thinking too. Ive played some good 4.0 singles players and it was a drastically different experience from this.