PDA

View Full Version : Arm friendly racket -- Need your advice!!!

alexlit
03-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Hello all,
After using Wilson Kfactor k95 for about a year, I have been experiencing pain in my elbow. I have been experimenting with everything: strings, over grips, string tension and so on. However, the pain is still there. So, i have been playing with this racket for a year, I started experiencing pain for about 3 month. I am playing tennis 2 time a week.
What would be your recommendations, based on you experience?

Thanks

dunno
03-17-2009, 10:17 AM
Usually tennis/golf elbow comes from your technique or practicing too much/or being a weekend warrior.

The APDC is a pretty soft racket for me, but most rackets are soft if you hit them in the sweet spot.

Strings also play a huge role, lay off the poly if you are using it and switch to either synthetic gut or real gut at a low tension like 50 lbs. And don't forget to work on your technique making sure you have a long stroke and are not muscling the ball.

And once you find something that works don't switch the type of strings or anything because the adjustments you have to make when switching to a new racket or strings can hurt your arm.

alexlit
03-17-2009, 10:42 AM
thanks.
I talked to my coach, he said that my technique is fine.
I checked APDC stats, it has a "stiffness" level at 70. I have been told that the higher stiffness level that can cause, arm/elbow problems.

no_dark_things
03-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Most of the Fischer frames are very soft and easy on the arm. They provide great control, excellent spin and very strict tolerances so if you get multiple racquets they should be the same. They're just not a pretty as they used to be. I played with the Pro One racquets for three years and had never experienced arm pain until switching to different frames after they were stolen. And they were strung at 67 with TNT and they never hurt.

The prices here at TW are really good for the FIscher racquets as well.

abrahavt
03-17-2009, 10:53 AM
I would lay off till the pain goes away and also use a fitness gizmo that you squeeze to strengthen your wrist/elbow/forearm tendons. I would try a softer string like gut and if that doesnt work I would swtich to a less stiff racquet. I would also work on technique making sure you dont hit the ball late.

amx13
03-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Ive never played with the K95, but considering its 69 RDC rating, I would say you need to look for a softer frame. From my own experience, I would say that the Dunlop AG 200 would fit the bill. Its very sotf, and yet heavy and stable, that would be a good choice if you dont mind the tight string pattern. The Head Microgel Radical MP would also be a good choice, but some lead tape would be needed.

Some other ones that I havent tried, but that seems that could help, are the Pro Kennex Redondo and the Boris Becker 11

GPB
03-17-2009, 11:00 AM
If you can pick up a used Vantage (or new, depending on your price range) even their "70" stiffness frames are very comfortable. I have a "63 stiffness" frame that feels like butter!

Before this, I played with a Wilson PSC 6.1, the direct precursor to your K95 (and I demoed the K95 thinking about switching) so I know what you're trying to deal with now. There are many good frames out there that you'll find comfortable -- I liked the Babolat Pure Storm Tour, the Head Microgel Prestige Pro, and the ProKennex Redondo. Next I'll demo the Volkl PB10, and if I don't like it, I'll probably go with the PST.

Good luck in your search!

shirsen
03-17-2009, 11:15 AM
I had the same issues as you with the K6.1. Switching to gut or a soft multi makes a big difference, and to a lesser degree so does lowering tension. My experience with the APDC is very much the same, a bit harsh unless using Gut or soft multi. You can't go wrong with a PK 5g, but there are many good flexible racquets out there to try. I found the Prince 03 Speedport Tour to be a very comfortable and similar feeling alternative to the K6.1. Fairly cheap if you shop around. Volkl C10 is also in the same class as 6.1 and very comfortable that many view as a classic. And there are thousand of posts about "arm friendly racquets" here on the boards. Good luck.

Rexking
03-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Hello all,
After using Wilson Kfactor k95 for about a year, I have been experiencing pain in my elbow. I have been experimenting with everything: strings, over grips, string tension and so on. However, the pain is still there. So, i have been playing with this racket for a year, I started experiencing pain for about 3 month. I am playing tennis 2 time a week.
What would be your recommendations, based on you experience?

Thanks

I'd highly recommend YONEX RQiS 1 Tour. The most arm friendly racquet in the weight range (12oz +-.02oz). You can stick on a full poly job and still find it soft!

alexlit
03-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks!
What about Tecnifibre? Is that 'arm friendly" or NOT?

abrahavt
03-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Yonex Racquets tend to be arm friendly. The Yonex RQiS Tour 1 is like hitting with a pillow.

alexlit
03-17-2009, 01:23 PM
What about control of Yonex RQiS Tour 1?
I don't wanna hit with a pillow, I want to have some control as well!?

abrahavt
03-17-2009, 01:27 PM
I think it has good control but it would be low powered compared to your Wilson. It has very good spin. You will have to try it out to see if you like it or not.

GPB
03-17-2009, 01:30 PM
What about control of Yonex RQiS Tour 1?
I don't wanna hit with a pillow, I want to have some control as well!?

I didn't care for this racket when I demoed it. It was really nice when I hit slow, relaxed strokes. When I tried to amp it up, though, it sprayed the ball all over the place - I found it very hard to aim.

I have a friend who had the same results with it. Try it out - there seems to be many people here who like it - but don't just get it blindly.

alexlit
03-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Did you ever try Tecnifiber?

dunno
03-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Yonex RDS001 mid was one of the softest rackets I have used, but is also very low powered.

Try out the Donnay Pro One International, and the Prokennex Rendondo C, they don't dissapoint.

zdepth
03-17-2009, 05:29 PM
PK Redondo forever

reesespiecestennis
03-17-2009, 05:41 PM
I know a very good college player who switched from a nsixone to the fischer mpro no1. I'm looking to get this.

basil J
03-17-2009, 05:55 PM
PK KI5, PK Redondo, Yonex RDS002 tour, are all comfortable ,arm friendly and players frames. If you use poly, you will firm up the frame regradless of the flex rating. Good luck and take it slow. I used the ncode and K6.1 18 x 20 and loved the performance of the frames but they were too unforgiving on my shoulder so I eventually setteled on the redondo Mp for quite a while and now switch between the Yonex TI 80 , redondo Mp & KI5 without issue.KI5 has the most pop. All have excellent control and comfort.

The_Question
03-17-2009, 06:09 PM
I just picked up a Pro Kennex Kinetic Pro 5G Classic...

It's very easy on the arms...

naylor
03-17-2009, 06:18 PM
... but it makes me watch the stiffness of the frame I use.

About 2 years ago, I was using n90s (and I also had a k90 to try out) - heavy, head-light, 66/67 stiff - but I felt the weight of the racket absorbed / compensated for the stiffness (I would not consider 66 too high in any case). However, I decided to change because I started playing more singles, and both these rackets have a relatively high swingweight - I figured the more I was late for shots (because of the high swingweight), the more I would be muscling the ball, and the greater the ultimate impact on weak areas such as shoulder or elbow.

After a stint with Microgel Prestige mids, I settled with the Redondo mid (93). I can endorse everything other people have posted here about this frame, reasonably low swingweight for a "heavy" frame, very soft (56 stiffness), this is an early graphite mould as comfy to use as a pair of slippers. I even started using poly on it, with no impact whatsoever on shoulder or arm.

What I'm now using is AG100s - 10g lighter than the Redondo, but even lower swingweight, although a fraction stiffer at 62. The reason I switched to these is that the more open pattern (16x19) is a bit more conducive to spin - and I now string it all-poly (MSV hex) for that reason also, but still with no arm problems. The AG200 (which someone else has mentioned) is heavier but otherwise similar to the AG100.

Overall, I'd say the secret is a heavy racket (so you use its mass, rather than your arm), with a reasonably low swingweight (so you can get it moving early, rather than late which makes you "arm" the shot to catch up) and low stiffness. And then you can play around with strings and tensions.

Other frames that I had in my "shopping list" were Fisher MPro-no1 and MComp, Volkl PB10 and C10Pro, and the Pure Storm Ltd.

AJK1
03-17-2009, 07:38 PM
The racquet is one of the best in the world, but only top level players can use it with success.
My coach uses them and he says it is the most comfortable racquet he's ever used. So go figure......
I'd say you are not able to handle it and therefore your arm is suffering because of it.
Buy something in the Dunlop range, you won't go wrong.

dunno
03-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Yeah basically any rackets I use are very comfortable, as long as it's not one of those 8 ouncers.

NoNameZ
03-17-2009, 07:56 PM
Pro Kennex 5g, Ki5 (PSE or non). great soft rackets, nice weight, and terrific feel.

furyoku_tennis
03-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Thanks!
What about Tecnifibre? Is that 'arm friendly" or NOT?

It depends on which one you're talking about. I've hit with the Tfight 325 VO2 regular and XL. They're pretty stiff, but definitely solid. I don't know if that would be a good idea for you though since you're going from the K95. Personally, the Tfights felt stiffer than the K95.

ratm355
03-17-2009, 08:07 PM
I used to have shoulder and wrist problems...not elbow problems though. First, be sure to take a month off or so to let the elbow heal. If you're serious about getting rid of the problem, I'd recommend doing some physical therapy to strengthen the muscles around the tendons in the elbow. You could use this link as a guideline, but seeing a physical therapist would be even better:

http://rehabworks.ksc.nasa.gov/education/protocols/basicwristelbow.php

And, of course, as everyone else has been saying, your gear is an important consideration too. I can speak from experience, that lighter rackets were easier on my shoulder, but heavier rackets were easier on my wrist. Assuming you're using proper technique, I think that you would NOT want to go to a light racket for your elbow. The Head Microgel Radical OS and Pro Kennex Redondo would be good choices and there plenty of other good ones. Natural gut is well worth trying too. I've got a classic Prince Graphite Comp I could sell you if you're interested. It would be more arm friendly than anything currently out. Just shoot me an e-mail at ratm355@gmail.com. Good luck.

alexlit
03-17-2009, 08:42 PM
thanks for your comments

Goyo
03-17-2009, 11:09 PM
tecnifibre t flash 315 61 stiffness great arm friendly raquet.

specially with bi-phase strings

strike
03-18-2009, 10:56 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-K61T.html

demo the KSix.One Team...very similar to what you are already using, just easier to wield

Stiffness rating of 59 vs 69 for the K95

alexlit
03-18-2009, 12:09 PM
I have tried KSix.One Team. I did not like it at all. Completly different from KSIXONE95. Absolutly, different racket.

HappyLefty
03-18-2009, 12:34 PM
My advise:

Power Bridge 10: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCVOLKL-VPB10.html

PK Kinetic Pro 5G: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCVOLKL-VPB10.html

strike
03-18-2009, 12:43 PM
I have tried KSix.One Team. I did not like it at all. Completly different from KSIXONE95. Absolutly, different racket.

I expect you'll find any other racquet you try is also different than the K95. Not trying to be smart, but any other racquet will in fact be different. Since your having pain, I would think you want something different...

I've hit with the K95 too, I think it is the closest to the K95 you'll find though...a lot closer than other brands, etc. My point is it is the same family and is similar to what your already used to.

Another arm friendly racquet I considered, I had issues as well with a PDR...., was the Becker Pro. Easy on the arm and good power...I also liked the Microgel Radical Mid+. Both seemed rather arm friendly to me.

netman
03-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Pro Kennex 5g or Ki 5. Hands down the most arm-friendly racquets you can buy. Plus they are great all court frames.

BTW, if you have a sensitive arm/elbow/shoulder, any racquet will kill your arm if you put poly strings in it. Maybe not at first, but eventually the poly will bring the pain.

Bud
03-18-2009, 06:00 PM
Pro Kennex 5g, Ki5 (PSE or non). great soft rackets, nice weight, and terrific feel.

My advise:

Power Bridge 10: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCVOLKL-VPB10.html

PK Kinetic Pro 5G: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCVOLKL-VPB10.html

Pro Kennex 5g or Ki 5. Hands down the most arm-friendly racquets you can buy. Plus they are great all court frames.

BTW, if you have a sensitive arm/elbow/shoulder, any racquet will kill your arm if you put poly strings in it. Maybe not at first, but eventually the poly will bring the pain.

Agreed! PK 5G ;-)

Craig8592505
03-18-2009, 09:00 PM
I too have fallen in love with the K95 only to have it make my arm scream for mercy. I played with all natural gut at 58 and that wasn't enough to help my arm.

I've played with the Redondo and the Aerogel 200. Certainly arm-friendly enough, but they just weren't my cup of tea.

I've settled on a Prestige Pro Midplus. The stiffness rating of 63 isn't as low as other recommended arm-friendly racquets, but it feels forgiving and it has more of the pop that I loved about the K95.

Point being, I think you can go to far in the other direction sometimes with arm-friendliness. You end up with a racquet you don't enjoy, thinking you are stuck with it because it is super arm-friendly.

I use Babolat Addiction at 62 lbs. in the Prestige Pro. It is a nice soft multi that isn't that pricey. Even at 62 lbs. my arm isn't bothered anymore.

There are some things I don't like about the Prestige Pro. It doesn't slice as well as the K95. It is a great serving racquet, with a lot of pop, but the K95 is a sledgehammer. And it is missing a little of the K95's stability. But for me it is a good arm-friendly compromise to the K95.

Just be patient, demo a lot of racquets and be very aware of what string and tension they are using. It is really tedious searching for the racquet that keeps your arm happy while still having other traits you want. But it is a nice feeling when you finally settle on something that works for you.

tmlp
03-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Prince o3 black,Head radical team microgel,Kennex 5g.All recently recommended to me for arm problems.

fuzz nation
03-19-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm with the nat'l gut option - it solved the elbow issues for a pal of mine who plays with PD Roddicks and lit up his arm when he tried switching to some poly. No issues now that he has healed and switched to gut.

Any frame that you can swing naturally and find the sweetspot with is a good thing - trying different frames can be revealing, but can also make for a little elbow-aggravation at least until you get more familiar with it. I also agree that the Volkl C10 and PB 10 are good potential softer alternatives to the Wilson 6.1 line, but there are others.

If you sample the Yonex RQiS 1 Tour, be prepared to put some lead on the hoop since it doesn't seem to bring the same inertia to the ball. Nice frame though, along with Yonex's RDS 002 Tour.

alexlit
03-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Hello,
I have read review about Yonex RQiS 1 Tour and Yonex's RDS 002 Tour and people are not very happy about. I guess the best way to find out is to try them out.

alexlit
03-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Hi,
Based, on people suggestions, I have compiled a small list of rackets which are considered to be "arm friendly". Here it is:
-- Head MIcroGel Prestige Pro
-- Yonex RQ iS 1
-- Yonex RDS 002 Tour
-- Volkl C10 Pro
-- Dunlop Aerogel 200

So, what do you think? Should I add anything or delete?
Thanks a lot!