PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on "head light" racquets...

Chris De Tone
03-17-2009, 11:08 AM
I would appreciate any/all opinions on this subject. I have always found that I play best/feel best when my racquet is customized to a very head light balance. In my case, I use the KBlade Tour at 12-15 pts head light. I have 3 of them and the static weight is 370g each. Unfortunately, I am still learning about customizing and I have 1 at 12pts HL, 1 at 13pts HL and 1 at 15 pts HL. Just wondering if that's too extreme or is it basically "if you like it, who cares what it is"? Thanks.

Jaewonnie
03-17-2009, 11:15 AM
I would appreciate any/all opinions on this subject. I have always found that I play best/feel best when my racquet is customized to a very head light balance. In my case, I use the KBlade Tour at 12-15 pts head light. I have 3 of them and the static weight is 370g each. Unfortunately, I am still learning about customizing and I have 1 at 12pts HL, 1 at 13pts HL and 1 at 15 pts HL. Just wondering if that's too extreme or is it basically "if you like it, who cares what it is"? Thanks.

Some pros have head lighter racquets than urs. As long as it feels comfortable for you its fine.

GPB
03-17-2009, 11:15 AM
If you like it, who cares what it is? I'm in the same boat you are -- you're not crazy.

Kevo
03-17-2009, 02:11 PM
The heavier the frame, the more HL you can make it without significantly impacting it's playability. So if you have yours at 370g, I don't see any reason why you couldn't go as HL as you want.

Also, I agree with the general principle that has already been stated. If you like it, then it's fine for you.

Tennis_dude ^_^
03-17-2009, 02:12 PM
damn sounds weird not going to lie lol
but im cool with it if your with it
it just feels kinda weird to me though
how does it play
do you even have a head

Chris De Tone
03-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks to all who wrote in on this topic. I appreciate it very much. For what it's worth, it does feel very normal to me. I realize that my way is not the norm, but I have become used to it. I primarily play a serve/volley style and I love being at net. I don't engage in lots of baseline rallies. I also feel that I get sufficient power from the racquet. I have been tempted to add more lead to the hoop and remove some from the handle, but it just doesn't feel right to me. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, but I am sure that you will agree when something is working for you it's hard to change. Take care.

fuzz nation
03-18-2009, 09:25 AM
I do a lot of business up at the net myself and I've made a pretty significant effort to work with different types of frames. A few years back when I went to work on solidifying my strokes, I was initially under the impression that I needed to lighten up so that I could "whup" across the ball more effectively at the baseline.

As it turned out for me, I just couldn't function with less mass in my racquets, but I had better control over my strokes with extra flex in my frames. One pair of sticks that I've enjoyed working out with are LM Prestige mids which I needed to customize so that, like you, I could effectively maneuver them. I didn't do a conversion to grams, but they weigh 13.4 oz. and balance around 12 pts. HL with a good dose of lead tape under their grips.

Even if a frame is down near 12 oz., I can have a really tough time making that racquet do what I want with the right timing if it doesn't have a balance of at least 8-9 pts. HL. I'll bet that once most of us become familiar with a range of balance, it becomes home-sweet-home unless we go through a painstaking process to eventually unlearn it and change to something else.

Chris De Tone
03-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Thank you, Fuzz Nation. Yes, I agree and will keep your info in mind as well.

anirut
03-18-2009, 10:33 AM
As long as you play fine with your preferred specs, go ahead. There's nothing wrong. My BlackAce 93 weights in at 386 grams and about 12 pts HL.

I think the key when you mod a racket is to make it "feel right", and not by relying on some "numbers". One model at 12 pts HL may or may not feel or play the same as another model at the same HL value. You know what I mean.

bad_call
03-18-2009, 10:37 AM
looking at current racquets, specs are 6 - 8 pts HL...be it midsize or mid+. like them around 12 oz + or so. but then again i'm old school.

louis netman
03-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks to all who wrote in on this topic. I appreciate it very much. For what it's worth, it does feel very normal to me. I realize that my way is not the norm, but I have become used to it. I primarily play a serve/volley style and I love being at net. I don't engage in lots of baseline rallies. I also feel that I get sufficient power from the racquet. I have been tempted to add more lead to the hoop and remove some from the handle, but it just doesn't feel right to me. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, but I am sure that you will agree when something is working for you it's hard to change. Take care.

I've experimented with the static weight/balance equation for a long time. I am also S/V and my frames are currently 365g and 14 pts HL. I began using this extreme HL balance during the rehab from my rotator-cuff injury and slowly, but surely began adding more static weight in the handle while retaining the extreme HL balance. I have compared frames with the same SW, but with markedly different HL balances and always gravitate to the heavier/more HL frame. With my old Volkl Tour 10 (I) MPs, I even removed weight from the hoop (grommet material), added leather and 6g to the butt as this frame had alot of inherent mass up top. What I lost in "punch" from mass I made up for in swingspeed...It's whatever floats your boat!

Chris De Tone
03-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks again! Great input. I like reading everyone's take on it. Interesting!

raygo
03-18-2009, 03:04 PM
I used to like my racquets as HL as possible. Then after an enlightening experience hitting with some wooden racquets, I found that a more even balance (from 310mm to 330mm) was a better fit for my game. My experience taught me that HL is more maneuverable, but even/HH is more solid through the shot. HL is easier to swing fast, but even/HH allows me to swing more controlled and still get a heavy ball--it's harder to time, but that's up to the player to fix, anyway.

The tradeoff is that the rest of my game (anticipation, footwork, stamina) needs to be on point or I'll never get the racquet head to the ball. But that's also what it's about for me. :)

Chris De Tone
03-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks, Raygo!

Teo829
03-18-2009, 11:55 PM
If it's too headlight, when the ball impacts your strings, the racket will be unstable and spin towards one direction or the other.

I had an n90, no lead tape, full poly set up and the racket was spinning after ball impact. Slapped on some tape at the 9 and 3 position, 5 grams each and viola, problem solved with an increase in sweet spot!

If your comfortable with your ball placement and hits now, then your fine.

If not, lead tape that *******! At the end of the day, it's personal preference since your neither wrong or right all the way.