View Full Version : Scholarship

ajaxman
03-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Hi guys,

I'm ajaxman,

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
03-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Don't worry about a thing...
Send a DVD of yourself playing to every D1 school- As long as you are not an American, you are a shoe in.

Better yet- You should play professional european circuit until you are @ 23-24 years old, then no 18 year old American H.S. graduate will be able to beat you for a scholarship, and you get the best of both.

tennismom42
03-17-2009, 02:00 PM
this has been posted before, so you should go & research the forum. It's no different (theoretically) for you than for any American kid. There is a sticky in the top forum that explains it well. It was a senior report by a kid who went to Furman

Don't expect much help or sympathy from anyone here. There is a lot of acrimony in the states about our scholarships going to foreigners. Keep in mind that it's the US tax dollars that creat those schoarships that are going to foreigners.

ClarkC
03-17-2009, 06:01 PM
The University of Virginia has two Dutch players your age who are freshmen. They played some ITF tournaments and had ITF ratings, but they mostly played club tennis in the Netherlands. Their DVDs and club and ITF results all contributed to getting the coaches interested in them.

Their names are Steven Eelkman Rooda and Philippe Oudshoorn. If you know anything about them, you could compare yourself to them and get an idea of how much you would appeal to college coaches. Of course, Virginia is ranked #1 right now and you might not be shooting for that.

ajaxman
03-18-2009, 12:30 AM
These guys are top 50 in the Netherlands. I think I am top 200 in my country.
So the best I can do, is making a video and mail it to the coaches? What about firtpointusa?

jaggy
03-18-2009, 07:26 AM
These guys are top 50 in the Netherlands. I think I am top 200 in my country.
So the best I can do, is making a video and mail it to the coaches? What about firtpointusa?

I work in a university athletics department and firstpoint usa have a very good reputation, that may be a very wise move.

03-18-2009, 09:38 AM
^ After you sign up for a "scholarship headhunting" outfit, There is always the Male Modeling (if you send us money) opportunites.... or they will publish your novel at a vanity press, if that is your flavor of obsession.

Always remember these words my son (boiled down from Polonius to Hamlet, a Dane)
"Any idiot can spend money... and, a fool and his money are soon parted"

Learn that sometimes, some people have only two questions when you meet-
What does this person want from me? then What can I get from this person?

You will find the people of goodwill over here that you want to associate with only have two questions in life, as well-
When do I get paid? and Where's the beer?

Shessh.

Read up on what, exactly, you are wishing and hoping for-Understand men's minor sports and what you are trading for that partial ride-

THEN, like most nuetral, (uninterested in your money) posters have pointed out- Hit the ITF circuit, as it doesn't seem to matter how old you are when you apply for scholarships in the U.S.

Maybe write the two guys in Virginia- They may be homesick or willing to hear from (or help out) a fellow countryman- Maybe they will just have some observations for you, some suggestions.....

jaggy
03-18-2009, 02:09 PM
For what its worth firstpoint do not take a fee until you sign a letter of intent with a school, they arent typical they are run by a Scottish ex varsity soccer player and have many coaches recommendations.

AndrewD
03-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Keep in mind that it's the US tax dollars that creat those schoarships that are going to foreigners.

Prove it. .

ajaxman
03-19-2009, 10:38 AM
are there other ways to get a scholarship?

03-19-2009, 10:50 AM
^ Saying it's "U.S. tax dollars" has been hashed over and basically discarded- Far,far too many twists and turns to follow the money.

As far as the issue of "Is there other ways to get a scholarship"?

I'm assuming you have discarded the pay-for-help idea, AND now you don't really want to go to the trouble of cutting a DVD, writing letters, and all that other "bothersome" work to come over and hit a little yellow ball in exchange for a full ride at an institution of higher learning.....

May I suggest just sticking around a little while longer? Our current President has made a declaration about the importance of every young citizen to get a degree-Which in his case (so far) means the government will be printing the money out of thin air to pay for it;
Given the rate he is going and his real intentions, He may make the same promise to every human on the planet next.... Bingo, you are in.
- OR -
Following the same Democratic line-May I suggest the "Janet Napalitano plan"?
Take a plane to Mexico, then run like hell across the border while tossing aside your passport.. Wait a month and apply for every government program, including the one in the recent onimbus bill which allows and funds subsitities to illegals attempting to apply to post secondary school.

Dorfs
03-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Better yet- You should play professional european circuit until you are @ 23-24 years old, then no 18 year old American H.S. graduate will be able to beat you for a scholarship, and you get the best of both.

No that would not happen.You only have one year after finishing school to try the pro circuit.After that time you have to sit out one year for every year you are not playing college tennis.
When you are 24 nobody wants you as you are only avaiable until 25, or sth. like that.
And if you take 2 years of you will have to sit one year out in college tennis, not being allowed to play for the university.And nobody would pay you this year, except you are amazing I guess.
If you really want to go you should try straight after school.Check out some websites that help you a lot with recent e-mails and it is not so expensive.
Or go on collegetennis. C O M and look for some e-mails and contact them yourself and wait for response.

Good luck m8

AndrewD
03-19-2009, 04:04 PM
are there other ways to get a scholarship?

How about you tell us what you've done so far.

ajaxman
04-06-2009, 09:51 AM
oke, so contacted a company like firstpoint usa isn't a good idea?
Has anybody experience with a company like that?

Can anybody help me with finding a sholarschip? Please send me a PM.
I can also call you, if you can help me. email your number