PDA

View Full Version : Pure Storm LTD --> Microgel Radical MP

rxblitzrx
03-17-2009, 02:33 PM
I demoed a MG Radical MP and compared it to my Pure Storm LTD:

1. Swingweight: The Radical swings slightly heavier than the PSL but it's a lighter racquet. In my hands, this translated into a racquet that's just as maneuverable, but changes my timing a little. I noticed the extra swingweight after I got tired and it became a little more demanding. The added stiffness of the Radical was also not a welcome feeling when I got tired. A vibe dampener could probably help this during those times but isn't needed when you're fresh.

2. Stiffness and Power: The Radical has noticeably more punch than the PSL. This is one thing I like about the Radical. The PSL can be demanding if you don't hit the ball well... everytime. The Radical holds up well against heavy hitting. I noticed my shots requiring less effort per-say because of the added power. They end up deeper into the court, even if you happen to setup for the shot poorly. With the PSL, you have to have great form on every shot to make it sing. However, both of these racquets are rated for 4.5+ players. I agree with this rating since the Radical becomes demanding as you get tired.

3. All the others: Spin seems easier to access with the Radical, especially on serves. The added power translates into serious bombs, but it feels heavier to get through the contact zone. The Radical has an illusion of being longer than 27" compared to the PSL. I measured and the hoop starts a couple of millimeters higher than the PSL. I guess on paper it's really nothing. However, the point of contact that I anticipate in my mind, fits the contact point on the Radical better.

I played awesome with the Radical and I love the plush feeling on contact. The TW summary really hit it on the nail with the bolded statements: "a noticeable flex in the hoop and increased sense of dwell time". It's a great feeling and I'm really considering a purchase.

maartn
03-17-2009, 02:48 PM
What was the radical strung with? Because I have 2, and I find them rather
underpowered... Well actually the sweetspot seems really small.
I have one strung with BB alu power and one with VS touch.
The one with BB plays pretty nice, but ain't nice for my arm.
The one with VS is way more powerfull but makes it loose spin potential.

rxblitzrx
03-17-2009, 03:37 PM
It looks like the strings are the original factory install. They're pretty nasty. Chances are the tension is very low too.

What's your skill level? and what do you consider under-powered?

I'm coming from a PSL which is very under-powered (1600 rating) and the MG Radical MP can have too much at times (1830).

rxblitzrx
03-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Honestly, I'm really torn here. I really like the MG Radical, but it feels like something is missing. It's basically the PSL with more power, but with the wrong balance. I'd love to find a stick like the MG Radical with more head-light balance.

NovakWannabe
03-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Honestly, I'm really torn here. I really like the MG Radical, but it feels like something is missing. It's basically the PSL with more power, but with the wrong balance. I'd love to find a stick like the MG Radical with more head-light balance.

Prestige MP much?

reesespiecestennis
03-17-2009, 04:14 PM
I liked the microprestige but I don't think it was that amazing. I mean I really liked it but wished for a more open string pattern.

NovakWannabe
03-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Microgel Prestige Pro with a slight bit of lead? Seriously...

rxblitzrx
03-17-2009, 04:24 PM
Prestige MP much?

The specs look great on that racquet but the swingweight seems to be wrong. TW has the swingweight listed at 320! Tennis Express quotes 304 and tennis[dot]website quotes 304 too. If it's really 304 then I think the Prestige might have huge potential.

I'm going to demo one tomorrow.

reesespiecestennis
03-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Microgel Prestige Pro with a slight bit of lead? Seriously...

nah too much weight for too low of swiingweight seriously lol..

reesespiecestennis
03-17-2009, 04:41 PM
TW has the swingweight listed at 320! Tennis Express quotes 304 and tennis[dot]website quotes 304 too. If it's really 304 t
I'm going to demo one tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's defintely not 304 it's right around 320 it was really nice i'm just not sure it's that great at anything. I really like to serve with it, but the power was lacking on the fiirst serve I think and it kinda felt weak if there was a term for it. Nice volleying frame fo sho.

maartn
03-17-2009, 05:12 PM
When playing with the one strung with BB I have to take big cuts to get good pace.
ok you can get some nice powerful shots, but when pushed to the defensive end it could use some extra pop and some more forgiveness would be nice..
Frame gives a lot of shock to the arm specially with the BB, causes me elbow pains.

I feel that the frame would indeed be nicer with a more headlight balance and some extra weight.

I have no idea what my ntrp rating would be.. I've been playing for 3years now but I've played before when I was a kid for about 4 years.
I've used the APD before the radicals.

reesespiecestennis
03-17-2009, 05:27 PM
yep it does need some weight. It also hurt my elbow too. Dang lol. It was strung with luxilon alu i think but anyway it messed up my arm serving. It swung too light for my arm to take swinging too hard to get pace.

I'm going to probably buy a fischer mpro sl tonight hopefully. I'm just hoping it isn't that low powered and I lose mph on serve since that is my strongest point.

JediMindTrick
03-17-2009, 05:40 PM

Try the MG Prestige MP. Far better than the Radical, more power, more stable, more solid, more head-light.

NovakWannabe
03-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Try the MG Prestige MP. Far better than the Radical, more power, more stable, more solid, more head-light.

I beg to differ on those two. I believe those are dependent on technique and style of play. I get a ton of power and I feel the Radical is more solid. I feel that the Prestige was good, but not as good as the Radical. The more even-balance for the Radical creates a more spin friendly racquet IMO. Though I guess strings, technique, and style of play could be factors as well.

rxblitzrx
03-17-2009, 08:32 PM
The Prestige has a higher power rating on the tennis[dot]com racquet finder utility. In my experience it has been the most reliable source of specs. Comparing my PSL with the two racquets I demoed these numbers played true:

1. Babolat Pure Storm LTD
Power: 1631
SW: 296
Flex: 58
Balance: 31.45

2. MG Radical Oversize
Power: 1870
SW: 312
Flex: 56
Balance: 33.20

3. MG Radical MP
Power: 1811
SW: 308
Flex: 60
Balance: 33.50

I played with all three racquets last night. I had high hopes for the Oversize but it fell way short. I can't hit with open string patterns. The ball tends to just fly all over the place and people use the term "lively stringbed" a lot to describe this. I didn't think the midplus would perform so well, but I couldn't put it down. It was like the big brother to my PSL. Almost perfect for me. I just need something that's more headlight or lower swingweight.

rxblitzrx
03-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Yeah it's defintely not 304 it's right around 320 it was really nice i'm just not sure it's that great at anything. I really like to serve with it, but the power was lacking on the fiirst serve I think and it kinda felt weak if there was a term for it. Nice volleying frame fo sho.

That just ruined it. 320 is way too high for my liking and gives it the same negative point as the Radical.

1hbhBUX
03-18-2009, 07:27 AM
You could cinsider adding weight under the grip of the Radical. It would add static weight without increasing the swingweight much (and fix the "balance" issue).

BTW, some swingweights are listed as unstrung. Maybe the Tennis Express numbers were without strings.

bad_call
03-18-2009, 08:30 AM
as i recall the MG Rad MP hits really sick angles w/o even trying. if u play an opponent using one and knows this, be ready to sprint. :shock:

G-Man
03-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Sorry to see you lost patience with the PSL after all. Remember you can lower string tension to get more power. My problem with all Head sticks is the very rectangular grip shape. Can't stand it.

mental midget
03-18-2009, 12:18 PM
have you tried the dunlop ag100?

with just a touch of lead at 3 and 9, i'm not sure if i've ever hit with a racket that suits be better.

maartn
03-18-2009, 01:11 PM
A suggestion worth considering if you like low swingweights might be the wilson kpro tour..
It's heavier then the radical, way more headlight, slightly smaller head, but still a low swingweight.
Maybe one that I should consider demoing again, didn't liked it when I demoed it last year (before I played with the rads),
but might like it now.. :)

rxblitzrx
03-18-2009, 08:09 PM
A suggestion worth considering if you like low swingweights might be the wilson kpro tour..
It's heavier then the radical, way more headlight, slightly smaller head, but still a low swingweight.
Maybe one that I should consider demoing again, didn't liked it when I demoed it last year (before I played with the rads),
but might like it now.. :)

That was the first racquet I ever demoed and it was with the PSL. I chose the PSL over the K Pro Tour because I didn't like the trampoline action coming off the 16x20 stringbed. The ball seemed to launch too much off the stringbed and I liked the angles I was getting with the PSL better.

I'm still looking for:

18x20
95 or 98 sq in
swingweight = 295-305
power rating = 1800-2000
balance = 5-9 pts HL

the MG radical fit all of those except the balance. putting weight in the handle might not be a bad idea. that would make it the same weight as my PSL with the extra power i'm looking for.

is there a way to figure out how much weight i need to add to the handle to make it 8pts HL?

klementine79
03-18-2009, 09:04 PM
I recently purchased the MG radical mid+. Have not hit with it yet, so cannot advise.

But, what I did is, buy one grip size smaller 4 1/4--- I'll toss on a leather grip and two overgrips. The leather grip adds about 8-10grams and raises the HL balance by 2pts., each overgrip is 4-5grams and raises the HL balance by 1pt.

So in the end I will have added between 16-20grams around the handle and bring the Rad Mid+ to 6pts. HL. Also ordered a MG Prestige Mid+ CAP grommet set from TW today-- will slap that puppy on as well.

In total, I will add about an ounce to the frame (without lead), but the CAP grommets will negate the weight I placed in the handle and the end result will be 3pts. headlight.

The MG Rad Mid+ will end up around 12oz., 3pts.HL and a SW of the mid to high 320's.

Currently play with a MG prestige mid with 4grams at 3+9 o'clock and an overgrip. 12.2oz.,6-7pts. headlight, and 335sw. Looking forward to my Radical Mid+ mod, should be just as punchy as the Prestige Mid- with less sw , less static weight and .3-.2oz. lighter.

rxblitzrx
03-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Is it common practice to buy 4 1/4 so that you can add more grips, effectively making a racquet more HL?

It makes sense, but I'm worried I would lose the shape of the handle under so many grips. I love the feel of a leather with one or two over-wraps. You can still feel the bevels very well.

I think I'll try adding fishing weights in the handle.

bertrevert
03-18-2009, 10:19 PM
I think an overwrapped handle is the worst feeling thing imaginable - it totally rounds out the bevels and makes a nonsense of your grip changes, which you have to admit are done semi-unconsciously.

I think ticking off the spec boxes is ONE way to proceed in assessing a racquet.

Obviously DEMO is prolly the best.

However there are untold things you might find in a racquet that just don't come under specs. Of course we have to decide some way however I just caution against specs alone.

I think such a headlight MG Rad MP might rack up being a disaster... it's a fairly underpowered frame and going more HL may rob it off what little puff it has... just a thought...

Il Mostro
03-19-2009, 07:41 AM
I think an overwrapped handle is the worst feeling thing imaginable - it totally rounds out the bevels and makes a nonsense of your grip changes, which you have to admit are done semi-unconsciously.

+1 I am amazed at how many of the racquets I string suffer from this giant blob of cushion syndrome. Unplayable IMO.

tennisfreak15347
05-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Prestige MP much?

that statement only works on paper. the MG prestige MP and the MG radical MP play like two totally different worlds. the prestige requires so much more energy to use and is a lot lower powered.

Orion
05-23-2009, 09:22 PM
that statement only works on paper. the MG prestige MP and the MG radical MP play like two totally different worlds. the prestige requires so much more energy to use and is a lot lower powered.

Finally someone who feels the same about the Prestige. It just feels really underpowered. I ended up going with the MG Rad Pro because of the higher swingweight. I just wish it had the 18x19 pattern of the MG Rad Mid. I leaded it at 3 & 9 o'clock and have been ball machining it 16x20 and it's starting to come on.

I demo'd the Pure Storm LTD. I thought it played really solid but lacked the feel that the Rad has. It lacked the pop the Rad has putting short balls away.