PDA

View Full Version : Purestorm Tour Buttcap

thenjimmysaid
03-17-2009, 06:12 PM
What is the sound that everyone is annoyed of when the buttcap is "loose?"

Also, today I picked up a ball with my racquet(where you bounce it off the ground) and I accidentally tapped the ground with my racquet, and for some reason it sort of felt like the racquet is detached from the handle. Or is my mind playing tricks on me?

Kirko
03-17-2009, 06:15 PM
What is the sound that everyone is annoyed of when the buttcap is "loose?"

Also, today I picked up a ball with my racquet(where you bounce it off the ground) and I accidentally tapped the ground with my racquet, and for some reason it sort of felt like the racquet is detached from the handle. Or is my mind playing tricks on me?

only you & your "doctor" would know that ; so with that being said its time to get a frame.

thenjimmysaid
03-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Oh I forgot to say I tapped it with my PST, and with all the hubbub going around about how there's handle cracking problems, I figured I'd just ask.

rscottdds
03-18-2009, 06:54 AM
It's not a cracked butt cap problem but a loose butt cap problem. The symptom is a squeaky noise in the handle. Easy fix by removing the butt cap and gluing with epoxy. They might have fixed this issue because the last few we've bought didn't have this problem.
-Robert

Kevo
03-18-2009, 08:06 AM
I had the same problem with my Pure Storm Limiteds. I called Babolat and they basically said that they probably couldn't do anything about it, but I could send my sticks in through a dealer if I wanted to have them look at it.

Since I am fairly good at fixing things I decided to come up with my own solution instead of going through the hassle of sending them in.

I first removed the leather grip. Under the leather grip there was a thin clear plastic sleeve that was shrunk onto the handle. This sleeve was over the butt cap. I pulled everything off the handle down to the bare foam and wrapped the handle with electrical tape as precisely as possible. The tape didn't stick to the foam all that well, so I was able to slide it a little and get the wrap perfectly smooth and even.

I put the butt cap back on over the tape and put the existing staples back in and rewrapped the leather grip. I used less overlap with the grip around the butt cap area to eliminate a bit of a bulge on one side as well.

Once everything was finished I weighed the frames, and it turned out that the weight of the electrical tape was pretty much exactly the same as the original plastic sleeve. My scale only is accurate to a gram, and there was no difference in weight after the change.

I have not had a squeak since, and I like the feel of the grip around the butt cap better as well, so I am happy with the result.

aeu10
03-23-2009, 06:14 PM
I had the same problem with my Pure Storm Limiteds. I called Babolat and they basically said that they probably couldn't do anything about it, but I could send my sticks in through a dealer if I wanted to have them look at it.

Since I am fairly good at fixing things I decided to come up with my own solution instead of going through the hassle of sending them in.

I first removed the leather grip. Under the leather grip there was a thin clear plastic sleeve that was shrunk onto the handle. This sleeve was over the butt cap. I pulled everything off the handle down to the bare foam and wrapped the handle with electrical tape as precisely as possible. The tape didn't stick to the foam all that well, so I was able to slide it a little and get the wrap perfectly smooth and even.

I put the butt cap back on over the tape and put the existing staples back in and rewrapped the leather grip. I used less overlap with the grip around the butt cap area to eliminate a bit of a bulge on one side as well.

Once everything was finished I weighed the frames, and it turned out that the weight of the electrical tape was pretty much exactly the same as the original plastic sleeve. My scale only is accurate to a gram, and there was no difference in weight after the change.

I have not had a squeak since, and I like the feel of the grip around the butt cap better as well, so I am happy with the result.

yeah i think she should give that a try.. so then the squeaking will stop =)