PDA

View Full Version : Dear Prince, about your Ozone Tour

louis netman
03-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Dear Prince:

I just demoed your Ozone Tour and I must say that everything is right about this frame except the O-port holes. I like the roundish head-shape because for some reason, I center the ball well with it. I like the 100 sq. inch size because I need a bit more margin for error these days. I like the 16 x 18 pattern because it’s lively and very spin friendly. I like the thin, 18mm beam because it just feels so right in may hands. I like the swing weight because it’s maneuverable and has a bit of margin for customization. I like the flex because it’s comfortable and lets me take big cuts and I like the standard length because I rely on its quickness at the net.

Can you please make this frame with regular, traditional string holes like your classic graphite series. I promise I will purchase and cherish them for the rest of my playing days.

Sincerely,
Pierre Teeyigh

The_Question
03-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Have you looked into the new EXO3 Graphite by any chance?

Or perhaps the Speedport Tour w/pin hole grommets? Or even the EXO3 Rebel?

louis netman
03-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Have you looked into the new EXO3 Graphite by any chance?

Or perhaps the Speedport Tour w/pin hole grommets? Or even the EXO3 Rebel?

Thanx for the suggestion....EX03 Graphite, 11.7oz unstrung, 2 pts HL sounds like a club..., I'm not into pin-hole grommets on the Speedport tour and it's 64RA...Rebel is 18x20 and 95"....

I want everything the ozone has with traditional holes. Same beam, same paint...Don't want no Diablo MP either...

AR15
03-18-2009, 05:06 AM
So, just put a drop of Super Glue on each string where it passes through the O-port. This will effectively keep the string from moving within the O-Port, and give you the traditional feel you are searching for.:razz:

ollinger
03-18-2009, 07:57 AM
netman
Are you married? Divorced? If you can name six things, as you did, that you really like about something, you should probably stick with it.

kalic
03-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Diabolo midplus is something like this...

louis netman
03-18-2009, 10:29 AM
netman
Are you married? Divorced? If you can name six things, as you did, that you really like about something, you should probably stick with it.

Good point, but if it feels lousy, I can't go there...

Racer41c
03-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Hello Mr. Netman,

I have a couple of these racquets, but having a huge challenge with string setup, can you recommend a setup for us?

Thanks in advance.:confused:

louis netman
03-18-2009, 05:05 PM
Hello Mr. Netman,

I have a couple of these racquets, but having a huge challenge with string setup, can you recommend a setup for us?

Thanks in advance.:confused:

I'm actually pondering that very issue at the moment. I'm wondering if I will be wasting 20 feet of VS gut in a hybrid to try and get some feel out ot the frame... Anyone out there experimented with gut to add feel. I did it with the 03 White a few years back and was let down. You would think since the string is actually touching the frame that it would allow for more feel, like Prince tried to claim in the line that came prior (that btw, IMO was terrible). Anyone remember the grommetless "Mmore" frames in the early 2000s? Their earliest 1980's POGs were grommetless, but they had great feel. I'm thinking the new frames are made of hardened plastic or something...

jmverdugo
03-18-2009, 05:23 PM
I am in the same situation but with the Speedport Tour, the orange one. I really liked it but I just cant stand the holes.

The_Question
03-18-2009, 05:29 PM
I am in the same situation but with the Speedport Tour, the orange one. I really liked it but I just cant stand the holes.

What kind of grommet kit are you using? The port or hole insert?

jmverdugo
03-18-2009, 05:32 PM
What kind of grommet kit are you using? The port or hole insert?

I am not currently using them, I frined of mine allowed me to play with them one time both my racket's strings broke. I really liked, I think he is using them with the big holes, port?, not the regular grommets.

mg.dc
03-18-2009, 06:25 PM
You know what, you just made me realize why I like the roundish head of the Ozone Tour (Pro Tour, for me) -- it helps me to center the ball! You put it perfectly!

Really, I couldn't put the two together till you mentioned it. I always thought there something peculiar about the head shape, something I especially liked about it more than others; and, at the same time, I also always thought I could visualize the ball hitting the center of the racket. Thanks again, because I just couldn't connect these two dots.

The_Question
03-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Try the hole grommet, it's a world different from port...

louis netman
03-18-2009, 08:50 PM
You know what, you just made me realize why I like the roundish head of the Ozone Tour (Pro Tour, for me) -- it helps me to center the ball! You put it perfectly!

Really, I couldn't put the two together till you mentioned it. I always thought there something peculiar about the head shape, something I especially liked about it more than others; and, at the same time, I also always thought I could visualize the ball hitting the center of the racket. Thanks again, because I just couldn't connect these two dots.

Glad to enlighten you. When I examine my Prince frames, the string wear is all dead center. I look at my other, more oval-shaped frames and the wear is slightly above center...The roundness seems to be a good fit for me, but I still haven't found the feel I desire in Prince... Oh well, you can't have it all...

playhard
03-19-2009, 05:46 AM
you're all experts talking.

Fuzzy
03-19-2009, 05:50 AM
Buy a POG Longbody, Cut down to 27 or 27.25...add weight to handle to get desired strung weight....hit...enjoy

Regards,
-Prince

fantom
03-19-2009, 06:04 AM
Glad to enlighten you. When I examine my Prince frames, the string wear is all dead center. I look at my other, more oval-shaped frames and the wear is slightly above center...The roundness seems to be a good fit for me, but I still haven't found the feel I desire in Prince... Oh well, you can't have it all...

So you're saying that the shape of the racquet head affects how accurate you are when striking the ball? HMMMMMM.....

louis netman
03-19-2009, 09:29 AM
So you're saying that the shape of the racquet head affects how accurate you are when striking the ball? HMMMMMM.....

My stroke stays the same, that is the distance of contact from my shoulder is constant. This distance typically centers the rounder (also shorter) stringbed, whereas with more oval (more elongated) heads, the ball ends up a bit higher at contact...

Fuzzy
03-19-2009, 12:34 PM
to further prove my point

POG LB Ozone Tour
11.6 oz strung 11.5 oz strung
13 pts HL 6pts HL
321 SW 321 SW
63 RA 60 RA
16x18 16x18

cut the POG to 27 inches....add weight to match the 11.5 oz and to make it "less headlight" you've almost got the exact same racquet..........but without the o-ports

snoopy
03-19-2009, 02:39 PM
I agree with netman. I like Prince frames, the head shape and grip shape just feel right to me. I tried the ozone tour and thought it was pretty good. Nice weight and balance, its just what I look for. But those dam ports, holes, whatever they are, destroy any feel. I also tried the O3 white a while back. That was another racquet I thought was decent but would never buy bc of the holes.

I won't demo anymore Prince racquets that don't at least have the option for regular string hole grommets. I know I hate the feel of the O ports.

louis netman
03-20-2009, 01:17 PM
to further prove my point

POG LB Ozone Tour
11.6 oz strung 11.5 oz strung
13 pts HL 6pts HL
321 SW 321 SW
63 RA 60 RA
16x18 16x18

cut the POG to 27 inches....add weight to match the 11.5 oz and to make it "less headlight" you've almost got the exact same racquet..........but without the o-ports

Brilliant and thanx for the info. I thought of experimenting with the POG LB awhile back. Does it have the feel of the old black & green POG...very raw and nice?

lefty10spro
03-20-2009, 08:42 PM
EXO3 Graphite 100 is one amazing stick. Dropped my Ozone ProTour like a hot potato!

louis netman
03-20-2009, 09:09 PM
EXO3 Graphite 100 is one amazing stick. Dropped my Ozone ProTour like a hot potato!

11.6 and 2pts HL? I'll need to add at least an ounce in the butt. I saw one in person and boy, that thing got hit with the ugly stik... Do these guys do any focus group research before committing to their terrible paint jobs like that one and the Diablo...?

kashgotmoney
03-20-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm actually pondering that very issue at the moment. I'm wondering if I will be wasting 20 feet of VS gut in a hybrid to try and get some feel out ot the frame... Anyone out there experimented with gut to add feel. I did it with the 03 White a few years back and was let down. You would think since the string is actually touching the frame that it would allow for more feel, like Prince tried to claim in the line that came prior (that btw, IMO was terrible). Anyone remember the grommetless "Mmore" frames in the early 2000s? Their earliest 1980's POGs were grommetless, but they had great feel. I'm thinking the new frames are made of hardened plastic or something...

i like the feel in my signature