PDA

View Full Version : Racquets like the NXG Mid...

Winners or Errors
03-18-2009, 06:18 AM
Sadly, I cannot find any more new NXG Mids and am not interested in purchasing used sticks, but I like them. They have proven quite useful for their comfort, solid "non-boingy" feel (with a dampener), and heft. When I shift to them they immediately alleviate any arm pain I'm having with my Volkl Tour 9 VE's, slow down my swing with their weight, and allow me to more easily turn over the racquet on groundstrokes.

Those of you in the know on this... what racquets compare favorably with the NXG Mid? The only one on my short list that this point is the Donnay Pro One International (I've never liked Kennex, or the Redondo would be there). Looking for something with similar weight, balance, and flex, in a 95in or less head-size. I really like the beam width too, because it reminds me of my old Dunlop Black Max. One last thing - I don't like lead tape - the racquet needs to be stock.

Rorsach
03-18-2009, 06:50 AM
Sadly, I cannot find any more new NXG Mids.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPRINCE-NXGMD.html

Winners or Errors
03-18-2009, 07:03 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPRINCE-NXGMD.html

Nice, but they only have size 1 grips left. I went that route to get my first one.

fuzz nation
03-18-2009, 07:41 AM
We just might have to appeal to Prince to put out a few more of these frames. I've relied on the NXG's in the mid and midplus versions for a while and I really don't know of anything else in stock layout that compares with the mid.

The Donnay mp has already been thrown in and while it's not the same frame, it's not a bad alternative. Even though you don't care for lead (I prefer to avoid it myself), you might consider a Donnay with some weight added to the handle to get it balanced more like the NXG. I'm curious to try the MG Prestige mid as well as the B-Becker 11 mid since they both have the smaller heads as well as some flex. In terms of stiffness and stock weight, the Special Edition of the BB 11 might deserve some research, too.

Bud
03-18-2009, 07:52 AM
We just might have to appeal to Prince to put out a few more of these frames. I've relied on the NXG's in the mid and midplus versions for a while and I really don't know of anything else in stock layout that compares with the mid.

The Donnay mp has already been thrown in and while it's not the same frame, it's not a bad alternative. Even though you don't care for lead (I prefer to avoid it myself), you might consider a Donnay with some weight added to the handle to get it balanced more like the NXG. I'm curious to try the MG Prestige mid as well as the B-Becker 11 mid since they both have the smaller heads as well as some flex. In terms of stiffness and stock weight, the Special Edition of the BB 11 might deserve some research, too.

Check fleabay... you can find them new and gently used, fairly cheap. I don't see Prince making another production run of these since it took retailers forever to get rid of their old stock (even with deep discounts).

I agree though... both the mid and mid+ are excellent frames and not sure why this frame never caught on.

pswami
03-18-2009, 08:20 AM
I demoed it, and while it wasn't my favorite frame of those I demoed, I definitely enjoyed playing with it. Very flexy, which might be turning some people off. I feel like a lot of the target market would go more for the POG, just for purity...

Winners or Errors
03-18-2009, 11:54 AM

Thanks. The Donnay caught my eye, and the BB 11 Mid looks like a good fit spec-wise. I suspect the BB 11 is more my speed, and though I have a love-hate relationship with my Tour 9 VE's, Volkl players' mids are a different story. Perhaps it's time to demo those two racquets, which I'll have to do through TW because the only dealer I'd work with in town handles Prince (hate their new lines), Wilson (still batting the KPro Tour around, but it's pretty stiff and I'm not sure I like the Wilson feel), and Babolat (not in love with any of their frames and don't want an 18x20 underweighted 95 that I have to put lead on...).

Winners or Errors
03-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Check fleabay...

Just too many horror stories from the Bay for me to look there, even for new. I'm sticking with authorized dealers.

Winners or Errors
03-19-2009, 06:14 AM
Have any of you familiar with the Redondo/BB11/NXG Mid kind of racquet hit with the Aerogel 200? The specs on that one make it look like it might fit, though the reviews seem to indicate it feel stiffer than its 61 flex rating indicates.