PDA

View Full Version : Sanding down the grip of Ksix-one Tour 90

bababoo
03-18-2009, 07:21 AM
Hi, everyone.

I decide to sand down the grip of my Ksix-one Tour 90 (L3), because I have tried all the thin replacement grips and even overgrip but still find it too large to be comfortable.

I am not sure about the material of the handle underneath the original leather grip. It looks like wood or kind of foam. Does anybody know if it is sand-able?

Thanks

Steve Huff
03-18-2009, 08:07 AM
You are most likely going to really mess up a nice frame. I'd sell your racket and try to buy another one of the same kind with a smaller grip. I'm sure Wilson would want you to sand it down as that will probably mean 1 more sale, but trust me, it's not as easy to get the bevels right as it looks like it would be. Or, you could send it to one of the companies that have the equipment to do it correctly.

LeeD
03-18-2009, 08:12 AM
Everyone is on this wierd mission to downsize their grip size lately.
Unless you are 4'10" tall, and hit only at the 3.0 level, I recommend BIGGER grips than what you now use.
Better players hit fast hard balls with lots of spin AT you, and that small grip just twists in your hand.
You are not Nadal or Federer, who can hit back using the kinetic chain and overpower the incoming ball.
Comfort is the DUMBEST criteria ever for handle size. What does "comfort" have to do with hitting a tennis ball? How about anti twisting in your hand, how about locking out the wrist to get firmer shots?
Small grips help you wrist our shot, like racketball, badminton, and squash.
Are you playing those sports?

jmoreno1
03-18-2009, 08:19 AM
You can reduce the grip size buy putting a Laserfibre reducer grip.
It will reduce it by one size. I went through the same thing and it
works without having to wreck the handle. Its a synthetic grip but,
holds the stick like leather. Once you start playing it will adhere or
compress a little more and feel smaller. I use mine with a yonex or
wilson overgrip and its perfect. Good Luck

Blade0324
03-18-2009, 08:44 AM
I have sanded down handles on numerous frames from Yonex to wilson to head with no problems. I use a dremmel with the frame in a vice. measure the width of each bevel in mm and also the distance around the bare handle in mm before you start. I then use the dremmel on low speed with a guide brace to SLOWLY take each side down. I have neve had any problem. Just take your time and don't overdue it.

Blade0324
03-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Everyone is on this wierd mission to downsize their grip size lately.
Unless you are 4'10" tall, and hit only at the 3.0 level, I recommend BIGGER grips than what you now use.
Better players hit fast hard balls with lots of spin AT you, and that small grip just twists in your hand.
You are not Nadal or Federer, who can hit back using the kinetic chain and overpower the incoming ball.
Comfort is the DUMBEST criteria ever for handle size. What does "comfort" have to do with hitting a tennis ball? How about anti twisting in your hand, how about locking out the wrist to get firmer shots?
Small grips help you wrist our shot, like racketball, badminton, and squash.
Are you playing those sports?

I would completely disagree with you. I have used bigger grips and they twist in my hand. Harder to hold on to something that is too big. It is also harder to produce spin on groundies and serves with a big grip. The only thing I would like a slightly bigger grip for is volley's, and since I play very little doubles and rarely come to net it's no big deal. I am 5'11" with average size hands and am using a grip that is between 1/4 and 3/8. I sand down the top and bottom bevel on head pallets to make them more round.
And comfort is one of the BEST criteria for handle size. If it is not comfortable in your hand you are not going to play well with it.
Fast balls with a lot of spin are no harder to return with a small grip or a large grip it has everything to do with timing and technique.

Geoff
03-18-2009, 08:49 AM
Hi, everyone.

I decide to sand down the grip of my Ksix-one Tour 90 (L3), because I have tried all the thin replacement grips and even overgrip but still find it too large to be comfortable.

I am not sure about the material of the handle underneath the original leather grip. It looks like wood or kind of foam. Does anybody know if it is sand-able?

Thanks

I would suggest that you go through Roman Prokes of RPNY Tennis. The racket will be an exact match to a 1/4. If there are any air bubbles in the foam you will not be able to reduce the grip. I have personally had work done by Roman after the recommendation of fellow board member, Craig Clark.

drake
03-18-2009, 09:42 AM
I would first recommend trying 2 (or even 3) overgrips without the original grip. I use this and many pro's use this. You can really feel the bevels which helps with the quick exchanges.

As Geoff says, Prokes is the way to go for a safe professional job. If you can't wait and/or can't afford it, here's what I recommend:

1. Obtain a Sharpie, flat file rasp (med/fine), small level or tri-ruler and micrometer (option).

2. Using the sharpie, mark top, bottom and both sides with long x patterns.

3. Using the rasp; file with slow flat strokes just until the marks are gone on all four sides. Next, lightly file the bevels of the butt cap at the corners (you can skip this step, although the butt cap bevels may be a hinder against the palm of your hand since they will be a bit larger after filing just the grip).

4. Check for level, a small uneven tolerance is ok, youl'll never feel it plus you don't want to keep filing thus reducing the overall size.

5. Check using ruler or micrometer and record readings for future notes and minor adjustments.

This method is very easy to do and takes 15 minutes however I do recommend practicing with a spare racquet. Good Luck!

BTW, I completely agree with Blade0324 above.

bababoo
03-20-2009, 07:07 AM
I have successfully sanded down the grip. However, the butt cap remains too big. I have to sand that down as well.

Blade0324
03-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Or you could order a new buttcap in a smaller size from TW. Not much money if the size of the buttcap bothers you. I actually like the feel of the smaller grip with the larger buttcap but to each their own.

morten
03-20-2009, 11:49 AM
i went by feel and sanded 2 ps85s.. ruined both of them... :(

kimbahpnam
03-20-2009, 12:08 PM

ouch. that should be warning enough!

Geoff
03-20-2009, 12:09 PM

Roman Prokes can rebuild the pallets for you. All of his top tier clentele has custom pallets that he builds. He takes all of the new frames and removes the pallets from the manufacturer. He then can rebuild a pallet to a variety of specifications.

morten
03-21-2009, 03:04 AM
Sounds expensive.... and i live in europe..

BounceHitBounceHit
03-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Sounds expensive.... and i live in europe..

$90 per frame, plus shipping to Europe, I suppose. ;) Cheaper than two new PS 6.0 85's, given the prices they are currently fetching. Best, CC

quest01
03-21-2009, 03:20 PM
I sanded down a Microgel Prestige Pro and it turned out fine.