PDA

View Full Version : Am I just weird?

Syfo-Dias
03-18-2009, 08:57 AM
Recently I hit with both the RQiS 1 Tour and the RDiS 100 MP. Out of the two, I enjoyed hitting with the RQiS much more than the RDiS. I frequently try newer racquets, but I always find myself gravitating towards heavier and more flexible ones for some reason. They just seem to feel more natural to me. I feel like I can take bigger, freer swings and impart spin more easily when using a flexible stick. Yet, at the same time, the industry seems to be moving more towards stiffer and lighter racquets for the most part. Am I pretty much in the minority on this or am I not alone here?

Steve Huff
03-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Well, the title to this thread is weird.

LeeD
03-18-2009, 09:07 AM
"the industry" is making new rackets so new buyers will buy more new rackets so they make MONEY.
Some players have short slow strokes...they need 120's super stiff and 9 oz.
Some players have real strokes...they prefer 12oz 95's that are soft and headlight.
"the industry" is trying to make rackets for everyone, so NOT every racket is right for you.

Syfo-Dias
03-18-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm not trying to start any static, I was just stating my feelings on the matter. I'm sure stiff racquets suit a lot of people well, they're just not my cup of tea. The one area where I do find stiff racquets to be superior is in serving. I guess you really can't have it all in one racquet though.

LeeD
03-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Like buying a Ferrari and expecting to tool around in heavy traffic....
Stiff rackets serve faster, but only by about 5mph maximum difference.
Soft rackets you can play with all day, and not damage your arm.
What's more important?

no_dark_things
03-18-2009, 10:46 AM
Rest assured you're not the only one who gives the new racquets a shot then retreats to the racquet type you're most familiar with. Intrigued by the Babolats I gave the PDC and APDC a shot and while they both had their strengths I ended up with the Head MG Prestige MP. Very rarely do I deviate from the 19-22 mm, 12 oz, flexible, head light, 18 main racquets anymore.

Tennis Dunce
03-18-2009, 11:15 AM
"the industry" is making new rackets so new buyers will buy more new rackets so they make MONEY.
Some players have short slow strokes...they need 120's super stiff and 9 oz.
Some players have real strokes...they prefer 12oz 95's that are soft and headlight.
"the industry" is trying to make rackets for everyone, so NOT every racket is right for you.

I can't believe I'm gonna say this but...I agree with you Lee.:)

sureshs
03-18-2009, 01:03 PM
OP is right that manufacturers are slowly dropping flexy frames. When I demoed the RQIS1 Tour, it felt fantastic but I had to hit the ball much harder and the serves were slower. I once played against a high school kid who uses a Fisher - and for the same effort as others his age, his balls were not penetrating at all.

This is true all the way from the juniors to the pros. Competitive players are going for stiffer frames. It is not just those who poke at the ball. Just like midplus frames are favored by the pros as well as club pokers. The equipment changes the game and is changed by it. Bab changed the landscape with the stiff PD (plus poly strings came along then) and tennis has never been the same since then.

JediMindTrick
03-18-2009, 01:13 PM
OP is right that manufacturers are slowly dropping flexy frames. When I demoed the RQIS1 Tour, it felt fantastic but I had to hit the ball much harder and the serves were slower. I once played against a high school kid who uses a Fisher - and for the same effort as others his age, his balls were not penetrating at all.

This is true all the way from the juniors to the pros. Competitive players are going for stiffer frames. It is not just those who poke at the ball. Just like midplus frames are favored by the pros as well as club pokers. The equipment changes the game and is changed by it. Bab changed the landscape with the stiff PD (plus poly strings came along then) and tennis has never been the same since then.

6 out of the top 10 players use soft racquets so the numbers don't really support your theory.

Syfo-Dias
03-18-2009, 01:42 PM

Yes, it seems stiff is the way of the future. But stiff doesn't always equal powerful, right? The RDS 001 MP was pretty stiff, but didn't seem that powerful to me. When I was testing out the RDiS 100 MP and RQiS 1 the other night, it actually seemed easier to achieve depth and spin with the more flexible RQiS. Maybe my swing path could be the reason, but I'm not sure. Personally, I find the feeling of a flexy stick like the RQiS combined with softer strings at lower tensions to feel the best. Stiff racquets plus full poly string jobs just seem horrible to me.

Automatix
03-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Yes, it seems stiff is the way of the future.

If that's the future then I don't want one...

Steve Huff
03-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Did you see the rackets reviewed in TENNIS this month. If you read the text, you'd see that nearly all of the "PRO" spec models were stiffer than the lighter version of the same racket. That struck me as odd.

Automatix
03-19-2009, 12:25 AM
Did you see the rackets reviewed in TENNIS this month. If you read the text, you'd see that nearly all of the "PRO" spec models were stiffer than the lighter version of the same racket. That struck me as odd.

Yeah Pro models which in vast majority aren't used by pros... funny thing :)
All comes down to variety of tastes... some like flexible frames and some like stiff... we should all have the chance to choose what we like... it's hard enough that tennis companies come out with worse junk every year...

Teo829
03-19-2009, 12:45 AM
So you like heavier rackets since you find them to be more flexible and maneuverable? I think your developing muscles or something and finding the lighter rackets too light and the heavier ones more suitable to your preference.

Your not weird, your just changing racket swing weights.

Syfo-Dias
03-19-2009, 10:31 AM
So you like heavier rackets since you find them to be more flexible and maneuverable? I think your developing muscles or something and finding the lighter rackets too light and the heavier ones more suitable to your preference.

Your not weird, your just changing racket swing weights.

I believe I am developing more strength and better technique which is probably why I can't use racquets under 12 oz. anymore. I've really noticed a difference since I started seriously working out again a few months ago. Better fitness really makes a big difference, especially when you get over 30. I think we could all learn a lesson from Agassi on that point.

sureshs
03-19-2009, 10:39 AM
6 out of the top 10 players use soft racquets so the numbers don't really support your theory.

I classify flexible as RA < 63. Who are these players?