PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever buy 2 different racquets?

poncho
03-18-2009, 10:07 AM
I am thinking about buying the BB11 SE racquet and the Boris Becker 11 Mid Racquet. I liked the plow through and the power of the BB11 SE and the control of the BB 1 Mid.

Do any of you buy totally different racquets and use one or the other depending on who you are playing, doubles vs singles, weather conditions etc.

Your comments and what different racquets you use on a regular basis and why

Rabbit
03-18-2009, 10:13 AM
I never have.

The_Question
03-18-2009, 10:31 AM
I do, I bought the K six-one Tour for general play, while I also bought a Kinetic 5G Classic when my arm starts to hurt...

matkimi
03-18-2009, 10:34 AM
i never buy the same rackets
but i always keep to the babolat brand

OliverSimon
03-18-2009, 10:35 AM
no it messes up your game

bad_call
03-18-2009, 10:38 AM
I am thinking about buying the BB11 SE racquet and the Boris Becker 11 Mid Racquet. I liked the plow through and the power of the BB11 SE and the control of the BB 1 Mid.

Do any of you buy totally different racquets and use one or the other depending on who you are playing, doubles vs singles, weather conditions etc.

Your comments and what different racquets you use on a regular basis and why

yeah...but if i told u then have to kill ya. :) seriously tho, i do and just for those reasons.

Tombhoneb
03-18-2009, 10:54 AM
I use a K90 for coaching and a APDC for competitive play.

Automatix
03-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Nie... Nein... No... Niet...

antgun007
03-18-2009, 03:29 PM
i did buy/demo different rackets just to try them out, then once I found which I liked, I bought a few of them.

betovanbuuren
03-18-2009, 03:54 PM
APDC and PDC

Jchurch
03-18-2009, 07:33 PM
I bought a K 90 and a K Blade Tour. I like the 90 because I get a better pace on the and a bit more control, but the K Blade is much easier to play with.

Storm_Kyori
03-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Nope, I do have different strings in some, but that's cuz I'm experimenting at teh moment.

saram
03-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Nie... Nein... No... Niet...

ditto, ditto, ditto.

ayuname
03-18-2009, 08:52 PM
I play with 3 different racquets. That's mostly why I have no progress in my techniques.
:(

NoNameZ
03-18-2009, 09:14 PM
i do, i love the feel of many different frames and their unique aspects

antgun007
03-18-2009, 10:10 PM
now that we have discussed about different rackets, do you guys have the same identical racket. I have 2 k6.1 95 but with different string patterns. same goes for my N6.1. what about you guys?

Teo829
03-19-2009, 12:00 AM
Yes sir I always do have several rackets available in my arsenals. You need options, different rackets provide that necessary access.

Staying with one racket is like having a one-way insurance policy. Once it snaps your done for.

Having two or more rackets will save your strings if you use different ones on and off. It is wise. :cool:

breadstick
03-19-2009, 12:56 AM
Check out the sameness thread. It explains it.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=248680&highlight=sameness

ace-nelis
03-19-2009, 12:59 AM
Never buy 2 different kind of racket,,

can only do you wrong,, have you ever seen a pro switch between different rackets. don't think so

Tempest344
03-19-2009, 04:39 AM
I use a K90 for coaching and a APDC for competitive play.

thats me too....cept I use a APDC for coaching and a LM Radical MP for serious matches

MCN
03-19-2009, 05:25 AM
I tend to stick to one raquet if i can but lately have been alternating between two sticks (Pro Kennex Ki5 and Yonex RDS002 Tour). I have bad TE anyway and cant play as often as I used to. Both racquets are kind on the arm and I mostly start off with the Yonex, but at times switch to the Ki5 as its a bit lighter and easier to swing. For some reason I prefer the Yonex on slower (outdoor) courts as it has better plough-through and hits a heavier shot. The Ki5 seems good for quicker (indoor) courts and more frantic games (eg good doubles). In reality I'll need to make a choice and stick to it to develop my game more.

jrod
03-19-2009, 05:39 AM
I used to use different frames for singles and doubles, but I felt this was hampering my game/progress. I eventually switched to a single frame (BB11 mid). I believe jumping between frames can impair your progress, particularly as you move beyond the 4.0 level since the value of consistency becomes more pronounced. Removing variables helps one develop better consistency and using with a single frame eliminates several variables. Just my $0.02.

SmAsH999
03-19-2009, 09:53 AM
I need to start. I have a KBT, APDC, and a ktour. I want to get another KBT, even though I want to try an EXO3 Rebel. I'M CONFUSED!

vndesu
03-19-2009, 09:54 AM
I need to start. I have a KBT, APDC, and a ktour. I want to get another KBT, even though I want to try an EXO3 Rebel. I'M CONFUSED!

i feel you.
its like sometimes my 335 gets too demanding then i go to the 320 or pure storm.
i recently just obtained a mg presitge pro from rpny so im just giving that a try

bad_call
03-19-2009, 10:20 AM
i feel you.
its like sometimes my 335 gets too demanding then i go to the 320 or pure storm.
i recently just obtained a mg presitge pro from rpny so im just giving that a try

know the feeling. reminds me of a commercial from way back. goes like this..."some days you feel like a nut...some days you don't".

ChuDat
03-19-2009, 10:48 AM
I have 2 hyper prostaffs and an nsix-one, all 16x18

SmAsH999
03-19-2009, 05:54 PM
i feel you.

exactly. I wish I didn't want to try so many rackets! lol :-)

Donny0627
03-04-2010, 05:54 PM
I suggest that youstick to buying 2 of the same racket incase you break a string. Having a different racket can kill you in that situation. Plus, it will probably mess with your game.

movdqa
03-04-2010, 05:58 PM
I have three KPS88s and they are 12.7, 12.9 and 13.1 oz stock. I go lighter if I feel a little slower.

ManuGinobili
03-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Never bought the same racket... there are many of us who can't resist the idea of getting a new racket... a search for a constant honeymoon period should I say.

But just like as above stated, if you plan to get beyond the 4.0 level, stick with one racket! What you could also do is have 2,3 rackets of similar specs and minor differences in feel. Say stiff and comfy, one with more power and one with more control...

KenC
03-04-2010, 10:58 PM
You can have as many different types of racquets as you can afford, the only reason to have two or more of the same racquet is in tournament play. There is nothing like having a string break during a great groove in a match, and then have to switch to another racquet with a completely different feel, string tension, flex, balance, etc. If you play matches competitively you should always have two of the same racquet strung identically just for when a string breaks.

The other reason is that at some point you begin to know very well how a racquet feels and responds. It becomes an extension of your arm, not a racquet. You can then forget about the racquet and concentrate on other things, like strategy, at that point.

PrinceMoron
03-05-2010, 02:21 AM
I always used to buy rackets that were miles apart in weight, swingweight, balance even length.

But now I have stopped buying Wilsons!!!

How do you tell a fake Wilson racket? They have quality control written under the grip. Real Wilsons don't have quality control.

fuzz nation
03-05-2010, 04:39 AM
And let's not forget that rule in section umtee-hoozy about playing with only one racquet...

...except that it doesn't exist and I'm not playing for my lunch money like the pros.

I've got a half-dozen different racquets that I honestly enjoy, plus there's that issue of how "on my game" I'm playing on a given day. If I'm sleep deprived, tired from working much of the day outdoors in the elements, or riding a hot streak, my abilities on the court can vary a bunch.

My regular Volkl C10's may feel great, too slow, too light, or generally too foreign from one day to the next. It's nice to have options in the bag, but I'm not so delusional that I don't blame myself when my shots go bad. It's never "the racquet's fault", but some days I feel way more comfortable with one racquet over another. That's just me.

poncho - if you truly like both racquets, hey, it's a free country, right? Maybe you'll enjoy one for singles and the other for doubles down the road or something like that. I think that the healthiest approach to gear is that you can enjoy it just so long as it doesn't become a nasty distraction. If it does, then stick with one frame for a stretch and focus on your technique.

grass_hopper
03-05-2010, 04:40 AM
four different brand, same weight and flex.
new prince white
new yonex S-fit 1
Babolat pure drive GT
new BLX pro open.

tarasb22
03-05-2010, 06:12 AM
Buy - yes, use - no. Bought K90, didnt like it, then bought vantage and pure drive gt. Using PD while waiting for vantage and I actually like it... a bit too light tho.

kimguroo
03-05-2010, 06:26 AM
I suggest that you stick to buying 2 of the same racket in case you break a string. Having a different racket can kill you in that situation. Plus, it will probably mess with your game.

Buy - yes, use - no.

Agree. I learned the lesson from my match.
I played with my main racket and won 6-1 in the first set then I want to have a different game and used completely different racket. lost 6-0 then go back to main racket and lost close game 5-7.

you can buy different rackets but not recommend to use different rackets for the single game (double's game might work though).

retlod
03-05-2010, 06:35 AM
have you ever seen a pro switch between different rackets. don't think so

Have you ever seen a pro playing recreational tennis for fun? Didn't think so either.

I have multiple different sticks and make an effort to play with all of them. I consider it an extended demo program with my bag as the vendor. Maybe someday I'll definitively decide which one I play best with and trade in the others, but for now, I find switching fun and refreshing. Factors that determine my frame choice include wind, opponent's pace and spin, and the kind of ball I'm playing with. If I'm playing a competitive match I'll choose one frame to start and stick with it.

Those who can't easily switch frames must either have excellent, super-consistent form that blends perfectly with only one frame or an inability to adjust their game to match the racquet.

ChevyTennis
03-05-2010, 06:38 AM
Nope- never. I don't think I've ever even bought just one racquet. I always buy 2 at a time and always the same racquet.

pshulam
03-05-2010, 07:23 AM

I have a collection of racquets and therefore rotate them. It's fun to switch even though it may not be good (in terms of winning). I play for fun only. Winning is not that important.

mel
03-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Have you ever seen a pro playing recreational tennis for fun? Didn't think so either.

I have multiple different sticks and make an effort to play with all of them. I consider it an extended demo program with my bag as the vendor. Maybe someday I'll definitively decide which one I play best with and trade in the others, but for now, I find switching fun and refreshing. Factors that determine my frame choice include wind, opponent's pace and spin, and the kind of ball I'm playing with. If I'm playing a competitive match I'll choose one frame to start and stick with it.

Those who can't easily switch frames must either have excellent, super-consistent form that blends perfectly with only one frame or an inability to adjust their game to match the racquet.

I couldn't agree with this poster more. I keep 2 different pairs of frames I consider to be my main frames to pull out on any given day based upon who I'm playing and how I feel that day. I think the one variant that affects my play moreso than the actual frame is the string. I normally don't have trouble adjusting between the 2 different frames, but if I'm testing out a new string setup or if it's a poly that's on its way out, those factors can make or break me. So, keeping at least 2 of one frame that I play well with and sticking with that pair for match play is usually how I roll. But when I'm out there messing around, it's fun to switch up between the 2 different racquets every now and then.