PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on the Head Extreme (w/o Teflon)

OliverSimon
03-18-2009, 03:05 PM
What are you opinions on this frame?

Fed Kennedy
03-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Totally solid racquet available dirt cheap if you look around. It will juice up your serves. Great return of serve racquet for swinging out. Nice if you like a lot of margin on groundstrokes. Cons are the head shape and beam width are a little cumbersome on slices and second serves. The pj is ugly but grows on you. Did not bother my arm at all.

The Macinator
03-18-2009, 04:40 PM
I have the head extreme and it served me well for a time. It is very lightweight and a good racquet. However, the lightweight has become to much of an issue and i do not seem to get the needed power out of this racquet. I am sticking with this racquet for now, but I am looking for a heaver racquet with more power and spin.

netman
03-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Totally solid racquet available dirt cheap if you look around. It will juice up your serves. Great return of serve racquet for swinging out. Nice if you like a lot of margin on groundstrokes. Cons are the head shape and beam width are a little cumbersome on slices and second serves. The pj is ugly but grows on you. Did not bother my arm at all.

Had to borrow one when I broke a string in my Yonex RDS001 MP. Took about 10 minutes to adjust and then everything Fed Kennedy said matches what I experienced, though I did like the PJ since it was similar to my Yonex. BTW, won my match with it.

Xtreme
03-18-2009, 08:07 PM
great racket. im currently using the pro w/o teflon grommets. great IMO. very solid and great spin potential.

Ripster
03-18-2009, 09:06 PM
I really liked the Extreme Pro version (no teflon). Hits with easy spin, stable, solid.

winks
03-19-2009, 06:29 AM
I noticed this racquet (Microgel Extreme Pro - discontinued version) when the price dropped down under $100 and thought I'd give it a shot. I was looking for something a bit more powerful than my current racquet, but not as powerful as Pure Drive, which I tried and could never quite tame my groundstrokes with.

When I first hit with it it did feel a bit too light and, for lack of a better word, flimsy? What is the opposite of "plow through"? Since then, however I've added quite a bit of lead and it plays much better now. My serve is more powerful and am getting used to it on groundstrokes as well. I've since decided to buy another as a backup.

I will agree with the other poster who mentioned the beam width as a con. I've always preferred thin-beam frames and seem to shank more shots with this racquet. On the other hand that's probably a preparation/technique issue that needs work on my part. :)

netman
03-19-2009, 07:09 AM
Had to borrow one when I broke a string in my Yonex RDS001 MP. Took about 10 minutes to adjust and then everything Fed Kennedy said matches what I experienced, though I did like the PJ since it was similar to my Yonex. BTW, won my match with it.

Meant to add that I used the Pro version.

betovanbuuren
03-19-2009, 11:26 AM
i've the extreme past edition, and it's a good raquet very arm friendly. I don't know how feels the newer frame