PDA

View Full Version : I love my PDc, but...

the need
03-18-2009, 04:14 PM
it "drives" me crazy sometimes.

Hitting with the PDc with LUX-R at 62, 12g of lead added to handle. No, my arm hasn't fallen off... yet. With this set-up I feel somewhat content, but still find myself praying the ball lands in. In addition, I don't like that my margin to tweak the racquet has resorted to a tension of 62 with the stiffest string. Just need a little bit more control - just a little...

I'm looking at the PST. The playing characteristics that I have read all tell me its the one. Don't they all say that... Just not sure if I will become more frustrated with it being I may not be at a level to swing it.

I would probably rate myself as a 3.25 - 3.5 with some strokes appearing to be that of a 4.5 player. Love to hit that first flat and second kicker, and love to bash from the base. I move around the court very fast and approach only when the opponent dinks a lifeless ball at the service line - I do ok up at the net. Topspin and flat grounds are both utilized. My 1hbh, barely exists. When the 1 hander does work, its a nasty slice. I swing with all sorts of grips depending on the situation I put myself in - usually a SW.

The question: Would the PST require to much "correct" technique to get the job done. Let me make it clear, that I do not mind putting extra effort into my strokes - this is the goal. I do not mind putting my natural power behind the ball - I just want more controllable power. Let's face it, I'm a fast progressing low level player, but need a racquet I can play with and not worry about. My readings have found that it does spin, hit hard (if you swing fast, which I do most of the time) and have excellent control.

Any of you gone from a PDc to a PST?

I've searched the forum, but failed to see if this racquet would be subtle for me at this playing level. Or could one grow into it?

I have demoed it. It was nice for the few swings I had with it despite the terrible, old strings.

Thanks - just another dude that's asking for knowledge...

JediMindTrick
03-18-2009, 06:02 PM
If you're worried that the Pure Storm Tour doesn't have enough power, don't be, it's a rocket launcher, almost as much as the Pure Drive.

miniRafa386
03-18-2009, 06:07 PM
If you're worried that the Pure Storm Tour doesn't have enough power, don't be, it's a rocket launcher, almost as much as the Pure Drive.

thats just wrong. the pure storm tour doesnt have NEARLY the power that the pure drive has. however, it does have a substantial amount of pop, but you will have to swing harder for the ball to get closer to the baseline

JediMindTrick
03-18-2009, 06:10 PM
thats just wrong. the pure storm tour doesnt have NEARLY the power that the pure drive has. however, it does have a substantial amount of pop, but you will have to swing harder for the ball to get closer to the baseline

If he hits long with his Pure Drive strung with poly at 62 lbs, then he won't have to swing harder, he could swing just the same and the ball will land in.

Infl8edEg0
03-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Definitely PST>PD. I don't like the PST, but the PD is horrible, imo. No control, and it has a weird, dinky feeling to me. The PST is strange to play with, but much better than the PD. As always, you should demo first. In the end, it's always personal opinion, but I would say the PST is better.

One thing, level of tennis play doesn't really matter imo, for picking a racket. My friend is a low 3.0 and he plays a million times better with a PS88 than an APDC. That's his stick of choice right now.

dgoran
03-18-2009, 08:37 PM
Hey man I find myself in the same exact predicament...I bought PST and will do a really long extensive demo, I have a long history going between PST and APDC which is very very similar to Pure Drive.

Freshly strung APDC is magic everything goes in or on the line, as soon as I loose tension there it goes everthing is out 5-10 in and my game suffers.

Nanshiki
03-18-2009, 08:45 PM
String it higher and add more weight.

If you have to pray that it stays in with a poly strung that high, and a topspin stroke, well... it's probably a user error.

That is, unless you find that you play great when the string is fresh and poorly a short time afterwards. In that case it might just be that you need to restring more often.

klementine79
03-18-2009, 08:55 PM
The determining factor for control is flex and beam width--not head size--because if you are consistent--it doesn't matter if you play with 85sq.in. or 107sq.in.-- the middle is the middle.

The reason why the PDC is so powerful is because it is very stiff and has a very thick beam.

If you're looking for more control, try a thin beam 19-21mm and more flex 60-64rdc.

Also, weight distribution is a factor, but one can always manipulate balance satic and swing weight. The one aspect of a racquet we cannot manipulate is... yep.. flex and beam width.

the need
03-19-2009, 05:40 AM
dgoran & Nanshiki

I can reply to both of your comments... Newly strung, the thing is great for about 8 hours max. Topspin is in abundance making the ball oval as my opponent would say with almost everything going in unless I make an error. Once those 8 hours have been caught up to - forget about it. String it higher? Yikes! I guess I could try. Just seems I would be playing with fire. By adding even more weight, it would either make me swing slower or make the racquet more stable and crush the ball even more... correct?

I wouldn't mind adapting to have to change the strings often, but in the back of my mind I know there is a better solution. In addition, it gets pricey. I have two PDc's - figure each one will last a week of play. Thus need to have them restrung. Not sure if that is a normal time-line.

Also, I don't want to test my chances with the stiffness all around. As mentioned I "think" the PST will allow for more string variations. If I find its not powerful enough, I can solve that with lower tension and different material. From what I read, it acts similar to the PD but with more controlled results.

I think in this thread I found some of the answers I was looking for. I have demoed it before briefly, and it seemed pretty good despite the old strings it had. Think I'll get it and slowly introduce it to my game and see what happens.

Thanks all...

the need
03-19-2009, 05:42 AM
dgoran - this is directed to you...

how are you liking it so far?
eye opening change from your APDC?
what strings and tension?
are you still switching back and forth between the to sticks?

thanks!

dgoran
03-19-2009, 06:30 AM
I love the racket and I had it before so I am somewhat use to what to expect, see my pure storm tour thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=202959&highlight=storm), that was created for my questions and support back when I switched for the first time.

The problem is switching rackets is not easy it is different enough that you might need to change your strokes (grip) due to smaller head size, (don't know about you but I had to change from full western to semi western when playing with PST). The head size is deceiving it might say 2in on the paper but I suspect is a lot smaller than pure drive/APDC 100in, maybe hoop shape contributes to the feeling of being smaller but I really feel it going back and forth between APDC and PST.

Strings are a whole new topic. I tried many different setups and in APDC I usually like poly (Cyberflash) but...after I bought my stringer it came with Silent Partner original Syn string / synth gut reel so I tried that once since it was free and have beein using it ever since in my apdc but at very high tension 70lb. I feel that at soon as it drops to 60's I loose control and I have to restring (once a week) with topspin i did not have to restring that often but it was just a lot cheaper for me to use up reel of free synt gut and string it myself.

Which brings us to today where up until I asked on babolat alliance thread for advice http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=121480&page=32&highlight=storm
I was using pretty much too much lead. After taking off lead on apdc handle and just leaving it in the 12 o'clock serves really improved on APDC like one of the guys suggested.

To add I am in the middle of the league so I do not trust my new PST since I have dialed in my APDC exactly how I need it. that being said as soon as I have some time I will begin to hit/practice with PST to begin my transition and eventually use PST exclusively since in my experience with PST it really does provide more control better accuracy on serves and strokes and most importantly less power than APDC. The tricky part is to find perfect string setup that will hold tension well and play good in PST so I will revisit PST setups that I have tried/enjoyed the most in the past Full Red Code, Big Ace, and I will also try it with BBO, Blue Gear, Premiere Ace, Topspin which were great in my APDC

Regarding lead in PD I played with PD before APD and now APDC and it really is very similar stick so reason I am saying that is that I have tried lead on both of those and I really enjoy lead on 12 o clock for improved serving the trouble is lead ALWAY ALWAYS makes a racket more powerful no matter what people tell you so you will have to string it tighter or adjust your strokes with even more spin so if you add lead besides the fact that you have to relearn timing especially on your bhand you will have even more issues over hitting. That being said it is really great on serves and heavy top spin...

Sorry for the novel...

the need
03-20-2009, 10:34 AM
thanks dgoran - you've been helpful... think I'm going to be purchasing the PST over the weekend...