PDA

View Full Version : Racket for 11 year old son..Help!

Honeychild
03-06-2005, 08:39 AM
My 11 year old son has been playing tennis for a year and he recently made our local middle school tennis team. He has asked for a new tennis racquet for his birthday. (The racquet he is using was very inexpensive and came from Wal-Mart.) I have been reading about power, control, head size, etc. I have no idea where to start. I would like to purchase a good racquet that will last through middle school. My price limit would be $150.00. Can someone please help me?

andfor
03-06-2005, 08:46 AM
You're going to get a wide range of opinions here. Do a search here for previous conversations about the same topic. There's plenty.

Personally I like this stick for my son for his next racquet. He's 10 going on 11.

You could almost get two with your budget. ;) Good luck in your search.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCBAB-BPDJUN105.html

NoBadMojo
03-06-2005, 08:53 AM
Much of this would depend on your sons size and abilities to swing a racquet fast. You could spend 50 bucks on a lesson (perhaps) and a good teaching would be able to recommend something appropriate and also help your son play better tennis..that would leave 100 bucks and enough for you to find something really good for him if you shop around..it's just hard to advise, especially for a youngster...if he can handle a full length frame that would be terrific and you wouldnt have to worry about uprading to a full length frame later..i frame that is nice and light and easy on the arm is the Vokl Tour8SE and i dont think it's very expensive..that;s the only one amongst the full length frames i can think of as a posible..there are many many junior length frames..good luck.

kv581
03-06-2005, 09:11 AM
I wonder if a racquet like 300g would be too heavy for your son? I agree that a full length racquet would be great but only if he has the strength/endurance to use it effectively (meaning able to swing the racquet fast for 3 sets). In any case, 11oz would probably be a good top limit for the weight of the racquet, something say like one of the Radicals. The aforementioned Volkl Tour8SE could be a good choice too. The only unfortunate thing about Volkls, at least in my area, is that they could be less commercially available than the Wilsons, Princes, or Heads, making them harder to demo if that's the route you want to take.

Oh, I've also seen Head Liquidmetal 4 used to good effect by a couple of youngsters (though they were 13y/o). It's something to think about.

Power Game
03-06-2005, 09:22 AM
You may want to consider the Head LM Fire racquets. They are very light, which is good for youngsters. In fact my teammate (college) plays with Fires, which shows that they are great for older stronger players as well.

andfor
03-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Good advise as always NoBad. If you click on the link I provided you'll see the Vokl Tour 8SE and Tour 5 as options to the Babolat PD 26.5 in length. Not that I promote Babolat by any means but the Babolat's specs look great for a younger or smaller player to me. Of course there's the variables, size, strength, skill level etc. and a good pros help with the selection would help and should be considered.

The Babolat is only 80 bucks. Plenty left over for lessons. Unless you want two of them.......

Honeychild
03-06-2005, 10:06 AM
Thanks for your assistance. Here is a little more info:

My son is 5'3" tall, he's a big boy :) He is in the sixth grade.

I have been driving him 50 miles one way two nights a week for lessons for about 8 weeks. The tennis pro he has been taking lessons from has helped him a great deal. That being said, he is not a big talker. I have asked for recommendations on a racquet, but I never get much assistance.

I've never played tennis and everything I've learned is through reading.

I'm not sure what his skill level is, but he was one of only two 6th graders to make the local team (about 25 boys tried out). This may not be saying much as we are a small community and not many parents are able to drive the 50 miles for lessons. The only tennis courts available here in town are the school's and there is no one available for local lessons.

Thanks for your suggestions!

mutt
03-06-2005, 10:08 AM
You can also check the Head iExtreme racquet (59,99$), but when you buy a new racquet, you don't have the string included... think to spend 20$ to buy string...

Exile
03-06-2005, 11:07 AM
To start off you cant go wrong with the i.radical OS or MP (depending on his style of course).
But I really think he should learn how to pick his own stick, and based on his needs as a player and personal comfort, look at the fine selection at TW for specs info and get a demo from a local dealer(I know the ones in my area tend to demo for maybe 3 dollars a day) and try it out.
A stick may feel nice in the shop, but after 3 sets in a tiebreak, it might feel like an aluminum bat.

Power Game
03-06-2005, 02:20 PM
My son is 5'3" tall, he's a big boy :) He is in the sixth grade.

Definetly get him a regular lenght racquet then. Since he is still in the 6th grade, have him get any racquet that his favorite player uses that is around 10.5-11 oz in weight or less. This kind of thing can really be a confidence booster for kids, it gets them to look at the pros and improve doing so.

NoBadMojo
03-06-2005, 02:39 PM
since he has had lessons, i would still ask who ever has been giving him the lessons..he/she would know alot more than we would, having seen him play, know his abilities, etc. anything we suggest is pretty wild guessing, as you can see by the responses that are all over the place..at least no one suggested a Prestige Classic yet ;O