PDA

View Full Version : Speedport Tour....Ive just about had it.

cknobman
03-19-2009, 06:02 AM
I just dont think this racquet is going to cut it.

Ive had the racquet for about 3 months now and just have not been able to hit a comfort level I would like with it. It feels way too soft and mushy almost like its a dead racquet. Maybe its to flexy for my tastes but I was really hoping it would work out.

I came from a speedport black which was an awesome racquet but I wanted a little more control and I was hoping the speedport tour would give me that. While the control is there the racquet just feels like a dead fish with little to no feedback.

Ive always played the port inserts but this weekend im ripping the strings out and trying the string inserts. Hopefully this will improve things.

Anyone with speedport tour experience is there any hope for me or should I just give up and move on to a different racquet?

Bud
03-19-2009, 06:44 AM
I just dont think this racquet is going to cut it.

Ive had the racquet for about 3 months now and just have not been able to hit a comfort level I would like with it. It feels way too soft and mushy almost like its a dead racquet. Maybe its to flexy for my tastes but I was really hoping it would work out.

I came from a speedport black which was an awesome racquet but I wanted a little more control and I was hoping the speedport tour would give me that. While the control is there the racquet just feels like a dead fish with little to no feedback.

Ive always played the port inserts but this weekend im ripping the strings out and trying the string inserts. Hopefully this will improve things.

Anyone with speedport tour experience is there any hope for me or should I just give up and move on to a different racquet?

I think you'll see an improvement with the string inserts. You may still not care for it... but It will remove some of the 'springiness' from the stringbed.

Karma_struggle
03-19-2009, 06:50 AM
A good buddy of mine whom I play with often uses a Speedport Tour. I'd say that I've had the same experience with it that the TC had. It feels incredibly mushy, and the ball seems to either rocket off the stringbed, or flop into the net. It's impossible to feel the ball at all, or play with any measure of control, off the ground, on volleys, or serves. Fortunately, I have my K 6.1s. I'd recommend that racquet to switch to, as it pretty much represents the exact opposite feel of the SPT.

Bud
03-19-2009, 07:02 AM
A good buddy of mine whom I play with often uses a Speedport Tour. I'd say that I've had the same experience with it that the TC had. It feels incredibly mushy, and the ball seems to either rocket off the stringbed, or flop into the net. It's impossible to feel the ball at all, or play with any measure of control, off the ground, on volleys, or serves. Fortunately, I have my K 6.1s. I'd recommend that racquet to switch to, as it pretty much represents the exact opposite feel of the SPT.

The string inserts are supposed to eliminate the springiness.

The_Question
03-19-2009, 08:04 AM
I have been playing with the Speedport Tour for about 4 months now. It's a good racquet, no complain what-so-ever. Then again, I use the hole insert grommet. That's the whole reason I bought this stick...

cknobman
03-19-2009, 09:45 AM
I have been playing with the Speedport Tour for about 4 months now. It's a good racquet, no complain what-so-ever. Then again, I use the hole insert grommet. That's the whole reason I bought this stick...

May I ask what racquet you played with before the SPT?

cknobman
03-19-2009, 09:46 AM
I think you'll see an improvement with the string inserts. You may still not care for it... but It will remove some of the 'springiness' from the stringbed.

Ill definitely post back once the string inserts are there and let you know what I think.

Jim A
03-19-2009, 11:06 AM
I had to move to a stiffer string than Sensation in my SPT, always have used it with the String Hole inserts

had a little racquet envy lately but after hitting with a APDC, PDC, Rebel 95, Extreme, Radical and a couple others realized I was happy with the SPT..

good luck with the inserts, but maybe the Black is more your style and speed

fuzz nation
03-19-2009, 11:11 AM
One of the guys that I coach on my high school crew just had me restring one of his SP Tours after trying a poly hybrid that he just hated. He thought that it had zero feel and went back to a full set of 16 ga. syn. gut. - I use LaserFibre Classic which is nothing too exotic. Not sure whether he had the insert or not, since I haven't specifically identified those yet.

Anyway, if you haven't tried out some other string types, you might sample one or two before you bail on these. I don't want to get hooked on playing with nat'l gut because of its cost, but I've tried other stuff and have always liked 17 syn. gut for the combo of performance and extra feel that I get with it. While it's sort of basic, it works better for me in my different frames than anything else.

cknobman
03-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the tips on string I may try something different.

For about 2 years now Ive been using a poly/syn hybrid of Enduro Pro/Sensation and have loved it.

I just assumed that since I liked it in my other racquets it would be fine in the SPT. Maybe I should try a full syn string job and see how it feels.

Racer41c
03-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Hey C-man,

I'm having a similiar experience with the Ozone Tour. As it relates to the experience of taking a known string setup and putting it in another racquet with completely different results, I have that experience as well.

So far I've tried:

PSGD 16 at 60, it was terrible
Hybrid, poly mains, syn gut x's. A bunch better but nowhere near where I want to be.
NXT 17 at mid tension. Haven't really worked this out yet.

Next experiment will be Gut mains with maybe a poly cross.