PDA

View Full Version : Weird sound in my MG Prestige MP

no_dark_things
03-19-2009, 04:46 PM
I was playing yesterday with one of my new Prestige MPs and it made a weird buzzing sound whenever I hit full shot but not when I hit a slice. I was concerned it was a flaw in the frame but I had a rubber band in my bag so I tied it around the two main strings and the buzz was completely eliminated. It wasn't the usual pinging sound without a dampener that the other two racquets make but something different. Any idea what it could be since it was quieted by a rubber band around the two mains? I'm assuming the frame is fine but I'm still curious about it.

Thanks in advance.

jcstennis
03-19-2009, 05:46 PM
what kind of strings are in it?

klementine
03-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Hey JC?

I read a while back that you customized a MG rad Mid+ with CAP's, leather and lead (if i'm not mistaken)--how did that play? Any feedback?

sorry for hi-jacking the thread--I too play with a MG prestige mid-- that sound went away after I put 4grams of lead tape at 3+9 and an dampener-- though the lead was not placed specifically for that reason.

himynameisNIKE
03-19-2009, 06:05 PM
I had this problem as well i think...

try taking the butt cap off and tap the butt of the racket on the floor. If it is the same noise your are referring too little pieces of stuff should fall out. i had this problem in all my rackets

ronalditop
03-19-2009, 06:24 PM
hey no_dark_things, what are you current strings and tension you have in your mgpmp? im very frustated right now cause i have tried two setups, poly mains and syngut crosses, and these two make the racquet feel so hard, it feels very stiff, and im getting pain in my elbow because of this. i dont know if its because of the racquet being too stiff.

no_dark_things
03-19-2009, 08:09 PM
I'm using Gamma TNT 17 at 62 lbs and it has been causing some arm pain. Previously I used the Dunlop 200 AG with TNT 17 at 65 lbs and the Fischer Pro One with the same at 67 lbs with no problems ever. I'm thinking of going with Technifibre NRG 17 at 58 next. I'm hoping the arm pain is due to a four month lay off while my knee recovered.

The pain seems to subside over the course of a match but then is pretty sore the following day. But the racquet plays fantastic with a leather grip, Yonex Supergrap and a bit of lead at the 10 and 2 positions.

I thought the noise was loose graphite but then i questioned why would the noise stop with a string dampener? I don't see any structural damage and the racquet plays fine so I'm probably getting worked up over nothing.

On a side note it is AMAZING how the sound of your racquet can affect play. I usually play heavy spin and with the dampener and the sound change I felt like I could not spin the ball at all. It was weird and and kinda cool to see how much of a basket case I can be all over a tiny rubber band.

no_dark_things
03-19-2009, 08:10 PM
hey no_dark_things, what are you current strings and tension you have in your mgpmp? im very frustated right now cause i have tried two setups, poly mains and syngut crosses, and these two make the racquet feel so hard, it feels very stiff, and im getting pain in my elbow because of this. i dont know if its because of the racquet being too stiff.

I know other people don't think so but I found the Prestige to be much stiffer than the Aerogel 200 even with a lower string tension.

I'm going to try a multifilament at a slightly lower tension myself.

jcstennis
03-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Hey JC?

I read a while back that you customized a MG rad Mid+ with CAP's, leather and lead (if i'm not mistaken)--how did that play? Any feedback?

sorry for hi-jacking the thread--I too play with a MG prestige mid-- that sound went away after I put 4grams of lead tape at 3+9 and an dampener-- though the lead was not placed specifically for that reason.

sorry OP for the HJ also...

klem... you are correct, i leaded up a MGRMP with a CAP from a MGPMP. It played A LOT different! Like an old school heavy, soft version of a Radical. Plow through was sick... but the Prestige won out for me. i sold the Radical, maybe i can find out what the new owner thinks of it... btw, i strung it with a nice multi, full job... really helped with the power... on a side note, the day i finished customizing it, i played a round robin that night, i couldn't find my range with it, but my opponent wanted to try it (he just popped his strings in an AG200)... he fell in love with it! his groundies were coming back flatter with more pace! and he actually started to play better! he is starting his high school season now, i may have to make one up for him!:)