PDA

View Full Version : How do I fix the cap on my K90?

MasturB
03-19-2009, 07:05 PM
The bottom cap on the handle came off, my friend says there's supposed to be 4 staples but there was only 1. What do I need to keep it on there?

samster
03-19-2009, 07:08 PM
staple gun with staples

or

superglue

Bud
03-19-2009, 07:08 PM
The bottom cap on the handle came off, my friend says there's supposed to be 4 staples but there was only 1. What do I need to keep it on there?

3 additional staples? :lol:

Seriously, the butt cap needs at least 2 staples... (and/or) You can add some silicone to the pallet prior to reinstalling the butt cap... and that should hold it. Let the silicone dry for at least 24 hours, prior to using it, if you decide to go that route.

MasturB
03-19-2009, 07:11 PM
I don't have a staple gun, will superglue work alone?

Bud
03-19-2009, 07:13 PM
I don't have a staple gun, will superglue work alone?

You can try it... make sure you put enough on so it makes contact with the cap and the pallet.

I'd go the silicone route before the superglue route.

MasturB
03-19-2009, 07:15 PM
You can try it... make sure you put enough on so it makes contact with the cap and the pallet.

I'd go the silicone route before the superglue route.

Well I'll have access to a staple gun tomorrow (friend is comign through with it), how do I staple it to keep it still, and where should I look?

Will the staples work by themselves?

[d]ragon
03-19-2009, 07:19 PM
3 additional staples? :lol:

Seriously, the butt cap needs at least 2 staples... (and/or) You can add some silicone to the pallet prior to reinstalling the butt cap... and that should hold it. Let the silicone dry for at least 24 hours, prior to using it, if you decide to go that route.

I don't think silicone will be strong enough. Staples is best (I recommend 4 just to be on the safe side because sometimes 2 won't hold it). Never tried superglue

no_dark_things
03-19-2009, 07:25 PM
If you can get to a golf shop the five minute epoxy will keep your butt cap on until you decide to remove it yourself. I always take the staples out, and re-attach the buttcap using the five minute epoxy. You will never have another problem again.

MasturB
03-19-2009, 07:26 PM
If you can get to a golf shop the five minute epoxy will keep your butt cap on until you decide to remove it yourself. I always take the staples out, and re-attach the buttcap using the five minute epoxy. You will never have another problem again.

I know of a golf shop around here, I will look into it tomorrow absolutely. I've never heard of the five minute epoxy, what is that used for, on golf clubs?

no_dark_things
03-19-2009, 07:53 PM
It's a two part epoxy that when mixed together forms an incredibly strong bond which can be broken only with a heat gun or hair dryer. It's used to hold the clubhead to the shaft and can withstand repeated swings of over 130 mph making contact with the ball for years and years. I should mention that it is sold at golf shops which sell golf components like heads and shafts. Your typical golf shop won't sell it but they may epoxy the cap back on for you. I used to do this for our tennis customers.

Deuce
03-19-2009, 08:38 PM
ragon;3228647']I don't think silicone will be strong enough. Staples is best (I recommend 4 just to be on the safe side because sometimes 2 won't hold it). Never tried superglue
Silicone will hold it - I've done it myself.

If you re-staple it, you can seriously damage your handle if you screw up. That's why stapling is not a good idea.

If you use epoxy or super glue, etc., it will be extremely difficult or impossible to remove the butt cap thereafter - which is NOT a good thing. That's why strong glue is not a good idea.

Silicone is the only reasonable answer here.
The benefits of silicone over other methods described is that it is safer and the butt cap will be able to be removed later if needed.

no_dark_things
03-19-2009, 09:03 PM
In defense of the golf epoxy just a little bit is needed for a strong bond and heat will break the bond. Another cool thing about the epoxy is if you want to make a weight adjustment you can mix in lead or tungsten powder with the epoxy.

I've never tried silicone. Does it have any give? How do you break the bond?

I agree about not stapling.

defrule
03-19-2009, 09:08 PM
I put the same stables I took out back in on my rackets. You just need to fiddle around with them.