PDA

View Full Version : best tennis coaches in your area

travisv
03-06-2005, 10:26 AM
I was writing to ask if there is a list of the top tennis teaching pros in each area of the united states. I know one of the golf publications comes out once a year with a listing of the top teachers in each state but I have not found one for tennis. I get Tennis Magazine and know about the notable tennis teachers such as Macci, Bollettieri, Van de Meer, Braden and Lansdorp etc.

I have tried the USPTA and asking my USTA section in my area but have not had any luck. It seems there are a lot of teachers in my area who are good at teaching beginners below 3.0 but seem uneasy about teaching servce mechanics. I would be looking for a tennis pro who is good at teaching serve mechanics such as hip stretch etc and the more advanced movements who is based in the southeastern part of the united states. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

NoBadMojo
03-06-2005, 03:19 PM
there should be a list of 'master teaching professionals'..whether these are all 'good' teaching pros isnt' guaranteed, but the master teaching pros have been at it usually for 10 years or more. tell us where you live and maybe i, or someone else may have suggestions.

travisv
03-07-2005, 02:18 AM
Thanks for the message. I live in Winston Salem, NC which is between Greensboro and Charlotte so I could go either way if I could find the right person.

JackD
03-07-2005, 07:31 AM
If your serious about finding a pro interview them. Ask them questions like if they know the difference between a palm up and a palm down serve (waiters wrist see threads). Find out what grip they teach on the serve. Ask them if they video strokes. If they can't answer these questions go somewhere else. I highly recommend if they don't video that you have someone film your serve. After taking some lessons with the pro film yourself again and compare the results. If your serve is mechanically the same then they didn't do there job. Bad strokes get better with practice. A pro should not rely on that fact to improve your game. Otherwise its much cheaper to hit on your own. If you get a good pro they should be able to explain what you need to do better and break down the stroke and give your instruction and drills that help you improve your technique. After each lesson ask yourself what did I LEARN today or do I understand the serve better having taken that lesson. If not the teacher failed not the student. Nobadmojo is probably right that the higher the level of instructer in theory the better they will be. Also try asking other top level players in your area with big serves if they took lessons from local pros...if so ask for their name. Good luck