PDA

View Full Version : Looks like we have yet another PT280/630 CLONE, Dunlop 4D 300 TOUR

Pro_Tour_630
03-20-2009, 03:01 AM
my my for such a non desirable and unpopular spec range they keep popping up, the latest is the 4D 300 Tour from Dunlop used by Melzer. Anyone play with this frame? and compare it to the Legend :) I have tested the 4D 200 and did not like it, it was stiff but better than Prince on crack EXO3 Rebel :oops:

anyway,

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCDUNLOP-DAG3HT.html

no_dark_things
03-20-2009, 04:04 AM
I held an unstrung frame and it sure felt like it was already 11.3 oz.

Pro_Tour_630
03-20-2009, 05:03 AM
and soon to be the new radical PRO TOUR :)( which is 16X19) might come up with an 18X20 soon.
And the new speed pro which has 18mm beam:)

we have lots of demoing to do this spring :)

jayserinos99
03-20-2009, 05:05 AM
^ Seriously. The specs on the Speed Pro look intriguing. I have a 4D 300 Tour that I got a good deal on. In stock form it wasn't for me; I added a leather grip and it's now 11.8oz, 9pt HL strung (with Gosen 17). I haven't hit with it yet since I added the leather grip but I hope to take it out for a spin soon.

vsbabolat
03-20-2009, 06:56 AM
my my for such a non desirable and unpopular spec range they keep popping up, the latest is the 4D 300 Tour from Dunlop used by Melzer. Anyone play with this frame? and compare it to the Legend :) I have tested the 4D 200 and did not like it, it was stiff but better than Prince on crack EXO3 Rebel :oops:

anyway,

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCDUNLOP-DAG3HT.html

The 4D 300 Tour mold is also the same mold that Haas, Blake, and Berdych have been using.

Pro_Tour_630
03-20-2009, 07:04 AM
The 4D 300 Tour mold is also the same mold that Haas, Blake, and Berdych have been using.

melzer, hass, blake, berdych and and etc...... why are all these pros using a mold so similar to the pro tour 280/630 mold or variants PT57E etc....? surely this spec range type of mold is the most popular? more popular than K90's/Prestige mids mold/spec range, OS's for sure. do you agree with my assessment :confused:

tarie
03-20-2009, 07:25 AM
If materials and feel are good,this is one of the most interesting new frame out there for me.
For sure it needs some lead add,sw is quite low and the mass is not enough to generate a heavy ball,imho.

vsbabolat
03-20-2009, 02:46 PM
melzer, hass, blake, berdych and and etc...... why are all these pros using a mold so similar to the pro tour 280/630 mold or variants PT57E etc....? surely this spec range type of mold is the most popular? more popular than K90's/Prestige mids mold/spec range, OS's for sure. do you agree with my assessment :confused:

I think it is pretty popular configuration.

If materials and feel are good,this is one of the most interesting new frame out there for me.
For sure it needs some lead add,sw is quite low and the mass is not enough to generate a heavy ball,imho.

I totally agree with you. I thought the 4D 300 Tour had nice feel but way to light with too low of a swing weight. I thought it did not hit a heavy ball at all. I am going to add some weight when I have the time and see how it plays after that.

Pro_Tour_630
03-20-2009, 03:44 PM

I totally agree with you. I thought the 4D 300 Tour had nice feel but way to light with too low of a swing weight. I thought it did not hit a heavy ball at all. I am going to add some weight when I have the time and see how it plays after that.
I just got one in 1/4, put is up on RDC machine with 16g synthetic it came in at 307, yes SW is low but there is mucho room for customizing

Nobadmojo would love this start up light and low SW

I am playing mixed doubles all night long tomorrow night from 6-12. might be the perfect frame, not sure I can handle a KPS88 for 6 hours

tarie
03-21-2009, 02:03 AM

Yea,please post your thoughts after that.
It reminds me my pro room wilson (do you remember the pics i've posted near the Djokovic's one?)..specs are quite similar,mine are 304gr unstrung, 303 sw, 60 RA and 18x20. Even if sw is high for such a light frame,when strung it does not generate a heavy ball at all,so I think it could be the same with the 4D 300 Tour.
I've found my setup with a leather grip,5gr in the butt cap and 4.4gr at 3&9,now it plays really great.
Let us know!

Pro_Tour_630
03-21-2009, 02:20 AM
I am a little confused, in this sentence you say it needs lead because it does not generate a heavy ball but then.....

It reminds me my pro room wilson (do you remember the pics i've posted near the Djokovic's one?)..specs are quite similar,mine are 304gr unstrung, 303 sw, 60 RA and 18x20. Even if sw is high for such a light frame,when strung it does not generate a heavy ball at all,so I think it could be the same with the 4D 300 Tour.
I've found my setup with a leather grip,5gr in the butt cap and 4.4gr at 3&9,now it plays really great.
Let us know!
are you saying even if you add lead and Increase the SW it will still not produce a heavy ball:confused:

tarie
03-21-2009, 02:25 AM
No no,I was saying that in stock form (303gr,303sw,60RA) it does not produce a heavy ball.(I think a sw over 300 for a 300gr unstrung frame is high,isn't it?)
Now with leather,lead in the butt cap and at 3&9 it does,and plays really better.
I think that there's still room for other lead at 3&9 but first i want to get used with this configuration.

Pro_Tour_630
03-21-2009, 02:37 AM
No no,I was saying that in stock form (303gr,303sw,60RA) it does not produce a heavy ball.(I think a sw over 300 for a 300gr unstrung frame is high,isn't it?).

I see,

strung, mine came is at 32.5cm balance at 324g with 307 SW strung with 16g synthetic. the reason it is a bit high SW because it is 32.5cm not 32 and because I am using a thicker string, when i cut out the string I will measure mine unstrung and see, I think it should be below 300, but you are right if it is still 303 then yes it is high

If you add leather (+10g) 5g at buttcap and 6g at 3/9 for a total of over 20g you will get more heavy balls for sure,

tarie
03-21-2009, 02:44 AM
I see,

strung, mine came is a 32.5cm balance at 324g with 307 SW strung with 16g synthetic. the reason it is a bit high SW because it is 32.5cm not 32 and because I am using a thicker string, when i cut out the string I will measure mine unstrung and see, I think it should be below 300, but you are right if it is still 303 then yes it is high

If you add leather (+10g) 5g at buttcap and 6g at 3/9 for a total of over 20g you will get more heavy balls for sure,
Ok.
Balance point of my Wilson in stock form is at 32.8,now with leather lead and strings is 32.7
I'm very curious on this Dunlop because I'm playing really fine with my current Wilson but they won't last for ever and it's impossible to find others,so as this 4D 300 looks similar,if it's really good I could stock some for the future.

Pro_Tour_630
03-21-2009, 02:48 AM
^ Seriously. The specs on the Speed Pro look intriguing. I have a 4D 300 Tour that I got a good deal on. In stock form it wasn't for me; I added a leather grip and it's now 11.8oz, 9pt HL strung (with Gosen 17). I haven't hit with it yet since I added the leather grip but I hope to take it out for a spin soon.

let us know how it plays, sound like a good setup there J, let us know if it produces a heavy ball, have your usual hitting partner who you have hit with is the past using KPS88 and PT630 for example compare the heaviness of this frame.

Pro_Tour_630
03-21-2009, 02:52 AM
Ok.
Balance point of my Wilson in stock form is at 32.8,now with leather lead and strings is 32.7
I'm very curious on this Dunlop because I'm playing really fine with my current Wilson but they won't last for ever and it's impossible to find others,so as this 4D 300 looks similar,if it's really good I could stock some for the future.
which wilson pro room? Kblade? In general wilson head shape and Dunlop head shape/bridge are different, Dunlop is closer to HEAD than they are to Wilson. You might like the grip shape more square since Dunlop is closer to Wilson.

tarie
03-21-2009, 03:07 AM
which wilson pro room? Kblade? In general wilson head shape and Dunlop head shape/bridge are different, Dunlop is closer to HEAD than they are to Wilson. You might like the grip shape more square since Dunlop is closer to Wilson.
Yes Kblade.

Pro_Tour_630
03-21-2009, 07:15 AM
tried the 4D 300 tour for a little bit this morning and it is more stable than a stock off the shelf Kblade which is a bit heavier, they are very close in terms of overlapping only the beam of the Kblade is more round at the head but more square at the throat.

on the side the 4D 300 tour it says 305g unstrung with 32cm balance, and 320g strung, mine came in strung at 324g ( 2g for dampener) it might be off by 2g or my string weigh 2grams more, not sure since on the side it says frame strung with Mfil tour which is what is on my frame.

I am playing it stock for a longer session tonight then add lead

jayserinos99
03-21-2009, 10:52 AM
let us know how it plays, sound like a good setup there J, let us know if it produces a heavy ball, have your usual hitting partner who you have hit with is the past using KPS88 and PT630 for example compare the heaviness of this frame.

I have to admit, I just finished playing and I am on crack. I haven't pulled out the AG 4d 300 Tour because I was using the Rebel with Klip18/Isospeed17. I wouldn't say the feel off the stringbed is the best I've ever used (the PT630 and trek PC600 get that distinction) but I'm playing well with it. I promise to take it out for a spin tomorrow provided the weather cooperates; I hope it hits a heavy ball (nasty spin with just enough of that forward momentum...).

Pro_Tour_630
03-22-2009, 05:44 AM
I have to admit, I just finished playing and I am on crack. I haven't pulled out the AG 4d 300 Tour because I was using the Rebel with Klip18/Isospeed17. I wouldn't say the feel off the stringbed is the best I've ever used (the PT630 and trek PC600 get that distinction) but I'm playing well with it. I promise to take it out for a spin tomorrow provided the weather cooperates; I hope it hits a heavy ball (nasty spin with just enough of that forward momentum...).
Just got back from Doubles, frame needs lead. It is a toy compared to the KPS88. I did not like it that much mostly because it had 16g tour more so than the low SW.
The hoop shape (elongated) reminds me when John Cuathen strung my PT630, now I know why Dunlop is making this shape, to give it more stability.

fantom
03-24-2009, 05:00 AM
I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of the AG 4D 300 after adding some weight. Any results yet?

jayserinos99
04-10-2009, 03:10 AM

I played with the frame a bit more and I have it strung up with Red Code 17 Mains, Spiral Flex 17 Crosses at 55 lbs; the only mod so far is the leather grip so it comes out to 11.8oz, 9pt HL. It's a nice hit, good feel but I think the racquet head comes through a bit too quick and so it does hit a light ball. I may add some lead at 3/9 to give it a more heftier feel but I don't think I'll be selling these any time soon.

ty slothrop
04-23-2009, 10:46 AM
I just got one in 1/4, put is up on RDC machine with 16g synthetic it came in at 307, yes SW is low but there is mucho room for customizing

swingweight of 307? The TW specs list the sw at 318. Anyone else experience such a variance?

jayserinos99
04-23-2009, 11:13 AM
I added 5g to the 3/9 position. I haven't hit with it yet but swinging it around it has a lot of promise.

ty slothrop
04-23-2009, 11:16 AM
did you measure the swingweight before adding the lead? 307 vs. a listed spec of 318 is quite a wide variance...

jayserinos99
04-23-2009, 11:18 AM
i didn't measure swingweight unfortunately; i don't have access to a rdc. i just go on feel and what my scale and balance board have.