PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me buy a new racquet?

Nooji
03-20-2009, 06:45 AM
Hello,

This site seems like a great place. I wish I found this place sooner. Anyways, I am a decent tennis player looking for a new racquet. I have played for 3 summers and will be trying to play the whole year this year and forward. I have two racquets at the moment (Prince Morph Beam and Prince Air Flash).

I am not sure how I can explain my tennis skill. I am inconsistent with my first serves (accurate but may go into net). I am inconsistent of having control. I usually hit the balls rather far and out if they take a high bounce on me. I struggle with a backhand and forehand slice. However, I can return my backhand very well and with my forehand, my hits occasionally go far out if I put a lot of power on it. >_<

Anyways, I have been looking for a racquet that will last me longer than a year. I have been looking into some racquets and was wondering if they would be good for me. The racquets I've been looking at are the babolat aero storm and the K factor Kzen team.

What are your thoughts? I really don't want to spend nearly 200 dollars for one.

klementine79
03-20-2009, 06:55 AM
I would rather have someone help ME buy a new racquet..$$$$.. :)

Seriously though.. Aero strom? after all is said and done, you will spend about $200 for that one... KZen team.. a little less.

I would just go with the Head liquidmetal Radical Midplus-- a great racquet at an even greater price-- just string it up with some more responsive strings than the ones that it comes strung with. ( own and higly recommend)

Also-- Dunlop has an Mfil (some number)-- that is also on sale in the clearance and liquidation section on TW. Same thing with the re-stringing comment here as this one is also pre-strung. (never played so can't recommend)

Then, with the money you save... you can help me in buying a new racquet...$$$$$.. :)

Good luck and goodnight.

GPB
03-20-2009, 06:57 AM
I agree with the LM Radical - it's a solid, all-around racket that can be had for a very nice price right now.

klementine79
03-20-2009, 07:06 AM
Hey!!! Woah. The Kzen is only $89.95 on TW right now. Did not know that....

If you think that you need a slightly larger head-size.. Go for it.

I played with this one briefly a long time ago and enjoyed the 'comfort' of the frame. It definately has more 'power' than the LM Radical. Don't know how developed your strokes are... but as you progress.. you might find the stiffness and beam width a little too powerful.

So, still, the LM radical is a great stick to progress with..nice beam width and stiffness... a versatile frame.

Pro_Tour_630
03-20-2009, 07:11 AM
just get a KPS88 and add lead at 3/9, you will be fine...... jk:)

Nooji
03-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Well, my first racquet was the Head Liquid Metal 4 and I wasn't much of a fan of it and strayed away from Head and went to Prince. But the LM Radical seems to be very appealing and has positive feedback from numerous people. But does anyone know if its anything like LM4?

Note: I don't generate a lot of power from myself. Would the LM radical still be a good decision for me? Sorry for all these questions; I just never have bought a racquet online and also fear of messing up ordering the grip size. -_-

akoni
03-20-2009, 03:27 PM
What didn't you like about the LM4? The LM Radical is a great racquet for a beginner who can handle the specs, as they can use it as the continue to improve. However, it is definitely not as powerful as the LM4.

Nooji
03-20-2009, 03:32 PM
I was very inconsistent with all of my shots. My first serves were mostly off. However, when I think about it now, that was when I first started playing tennis. I may give it a 2nd chance now (when its not cold = / ). Also, I am not sure who to blame for this issue with the LM4, I broke 2 stings on it within 6 months. Was that normal?

DjordjeRosic
03-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Ya if your not a big hitter than thats fine i guess but I would get it restrung every couple of months or so. I break strings at least once a week minimum, but I play 6 days a week for roughly 5-6+ hours at a time depends on how often you play actually, what kind of string pattern you have on your racket, and what type of shots you hit. I apologize if I might have confused you, if you have questions just ask :)

D.R.

NovakWannabe
03-20-2009, 06:10 PM
If you're not a flat hitter, I don't recommend the LM Radical. You should try an open string patterned racquet with some heft.

Dunlop Aerogel 300 (16x18)
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/DunlopRacquets.html

Dunlop Aerogel 200 (16x19)
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCDUNLOP-AG20019.html

Both are solid racquets (like the LM Radical) with more access to spin. Now, I use the Microgel Radical, the updated LM Radical. With the right strings, the Microgel Radical can be a spin machine as well. See my signature for my setup.

DjordjeRosic
03-20-2009, 06:22 PM
OMGZORZ, lol I want to find a Ti Radical like the one I used to use when I was around 8 but its either overpriced or not the right grip size. :(
IMO Radicals that were twin tube were the best rackets I ever used... well now I have some money and have to go hunting for some TiRad's RAWR!

Nooji
03-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Eh well, I just bought the LM radical. Ill tell everyone how I feel about it once i use and receive it.

I am not sure what string pattern I have on my racquet. Sorry, I am sort of tennis noob when it comes to tennis terms. But I definitely do remember breaking the strings with a hard forehand in the middle of the racquet.

Infl8edEg0
03-20-2009, 08:13 PM
u have never heard of "demoing"?

Nooji
03-22-2009, 08:07 PM
I have heard of demoing. However, shipping is pricey from where I live and also, there are no nearby UPS stores for me to drop it off on the day its due. = /