PDA

View Full Version : Pairing of players questions

michelle422
03-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Hi everyone, new here, I'm the Pro for a very successful 3.5 womens team, They will be moving up to 4.0 next year and are already concerned about pairing of players for next year. My questions is this-

I have one player that has excellent ground strokes, volleys and serve, however she is simply short, like 4foot 11 inches, and when the team steps up to the 4.0 level, i'm pretty sure that the other 4.0 teams will find it very easy to lob over her, so what type of player do you suggest I pair her with for 4.0 womens play, I have a variety of players that I can pair her with, but I have no clue(seeing as how i'm 5-11) who I could pair her with that will make for a successful team.... Any ideas of a style of player or physical type? Tall and very aggressive? or Consistent and quick? I have a number of players that I can pair her with that play a variety of styles, I just have no clue who to place her with! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

blakesq
03-20-2009, 02:06 PM
What sort of "pro" are you? You are pulling the cart before the horse. YOu do not know that her opponents are going to effectively lob her. Her groundstrokes may be good enough to prevent good offensive/defensive lobs. She may be extremely quick due to her small stature, and able to run back for the ball, thus negating the effectiveness of lobs. instead of worrying about future potential lobs, I would play her with someone she can WIN with, and worry about lobs only if it becomes a problem.

Hi everyone, new here, I'm the Pro for a very successful 3.5 womens team, They will be moving up to 4.0 next year and are already concerned about pairing of players for next year. My questions is this-

I have one player that has excellent ground strokes, volleys and serve, however she is simply short, like 4foot 11 inches, and when the team steps up to the 4.0 level, i'm pretty sure that the other 4.0 teams will find it very easy to lob over her, so what type of player do you suggest I pair her with for 4.0 womens play, I have a variety of players that I can pair her with, but I have no clue(seeing as how i'm 5-11) who I could pair her with that will make for a successful team.... Any ideas of a style of player or physical type? Tall and very aggressive? or Consistent and quick? I have a number of players that I can pair her with that play a variety of styles, I just have no clue who to place her with! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Geezer Guy
03-20-2009, 02:15 PM
We used to have a pro at our club that was probably around 5'3" or so. I know for a fact that this pro used to get lobbed a lot. Sure, sometimes the partner took the overhead - but more often than not the pro would just sidestep back and take the overhead himself. And, even though he was short, he would CRUSH that overhead.

Now, he was a pro and your gal isn't. Still, I'd just encourage her to not close too tight to the net unless she's sure she's going to hit a volley, and always watch out for lobs. Her 4.0 opponents will hit some fairly good lobs, but they'll leave a fair number short that she can handle with no problem - given a bit of practice.

If you're (or maybe she is) bound and determined for her partner to take the overheads, then just make sure you team her with someone who can take overheads well, and put that person with their dominant hand in the middle of the court.

JavierLW
03-20-2009, 02:41 PM

Wow, she's only one or two inches shorter then a guy on my team. Only it sounds like she probably volleys better then he does.

Despite that he's short I still blame any issues he has with getting lobbed with his techinique more then his height.

I just think it's like anything, if he does some things wrong (like stands too close to the net or doesnt track the ball well, etc...), it's just going to cause him a lot more issues then someone who's 5'11", but it can be done.

(so what Im saying is you should treat it like anyone else who is constantly getting lobbed at the net if that's what's actually happening, being short doesnt have that much to do with it. If it was then you should be afraid of people 6'3" or taller being at the net because you can hit low balls to them and give them problems)

Otherwise if it's a given that they are getting lobbed a lot, then picking someone who is fast as a partner is probably a necessity. If they are slow and they cant shag down a lob then there are going to be a lot of easily won points by the other team.

I think the more important qualitys probably have to do with the type of player they are more then that they happen to be short. Are they aggressive or are they passive? (the short guy on my team is a pusher in singles and he's even knocked off some lower 4.0ish players playing his game, but in doubles he needs someone who's aggressive and can put the ball away otherwise the other team will take care of the ball before he does)

hammer
03-20-2009, 02:42 PM
I would be surprised if she hadn't faced a lot of lobbers already at the 3.5 level. It seems like there are a lot of them at the 3.0 and 3.5 women levels, especially seniors. If she had no problem facing them, then she can probably handle it at the 4.0 level. You won't see as many lobbers at that level.

LuckyR
03-20-2009, 06:01 PM
As hammer stated, the difference between 3.5 and 4.0 women, in my experience is not lobbing effectiveness.