PDA

View Full Version : Where to find Head Classic Mid

iradical18
03-06-2005, 06:30 PM
I've been looking around for this racquet, now here's the deal, on one side of the throat it says "classic mid" all of the ones i've seen that look like thsi racquet are called classic 600 mid, and the racquet i've hit with doesnt have 600 anywhere on it. So is this just a different (older/newer) version of the PC 600? Thanks for any help.

hummer23
03-06-2005, 06:33 PM
i beleive th ones that say classic are from teh subsequent production runs, whereas the original made in austria frames are the head prestige mids.

ffrpg
03-06-2005, 07:04 PM
I've heard the "classic mid" referred to as the US version of the Prestige Classic. I have three classic mids, technically I don't even own the Prestige Classic (as stated in my sig), meh. Depends though, some people will say the Classic Mids are the Prestige Classic and some won't. I consider them to be the same.

Deuce
03-06-2005, 11:21 PM
The 'Classic Mid' name came about because Wilson was using the 'Prestige' name for a shoe, or some such, in North America at that particular time, and had bought the tennis rights to the name 'Prestige'. That's the only reason they were named 'Classic Mid' instead of 'Prestige Classic'. No doubt this was a dirty, calculated move on Wilson's part - designed to keep Head from using the 'Prestige' name, which they had used for years. Head was thus caught in the embarrassing situation where they could not use a name they'd been using for the better part of a decade on a racquet which had become very well known and respected under the 'Prestige' name. Obviously, the issue between Wilson, Head, and the 'Prestige' name has been settled, as Head went back to using the 'Prestige' name after about 2 years.

This affected only racquets in the North American market. Had this issue with Wilson using the 'Prestige' name not arisen, all of those 'Classic Mids' would have been 'Prestige Classics', and this discussion - as well as the many others on the subject of 'Is the Classic Mid the same as the Prestige Classic?'- would have never taken place.

iradical18
03-07-2005, 04:57 PM
Wow thanks for the info deuce, i never knew that situation had occurred.

tandayu
03-07-2005, 08:23 PM
- I have several used Classic mid purchased from United Kingdom and German
- You can also sometimes see Classic mid on european ****
- Not all Prestige Classic the same. The difference maybe small, but you can feel it. If you have one, you will like it. But if you happen to have several frames from different production period, you will notice some slight variance. It just like the Pro tour 280 which has some variance as noted by some posters on this board.

WIth all the talk about people wanting TW to sell the PC600 again which some posters are willing to pay up to $200??? The frames still out there if anybody wants to pay $159-$200. I saw several new PC600 listing on **** & nobody bid for it. There are also many people on these board owning multiple PC600, which I think they are willing to sell if those who says will pay $200 offer them.

Deuce
03-07-2005, 08:36 PM
The only difference between the Classic Mids designed in Austria and the Prestige Classics designed in Austria is the little 'collar' at the top of the grip, which does absolutely nothing to affect play. Other than that, it's the same racquet - came out of the same mold, with the same ingredients, in the same places and percentages.

If you found Classic Mids in the UK and Germany, I would strongly suspect that these were originally intended for the North American market. Sometimes circumstances arise, and/or mistakes in shipping are made... that's how I found a few 90 sq. in. Dunlop MW 200G frames in Canada when those frames were never officially on the North American market; like when TW gets a European or Asian market frame to sell here, which I believe has happened a few times.

tandayu
03-07-2005, 08:43 PM
OK, if you only comparing the Classic mid (designed in Austria) with PC 600 (designed in Austria). Not the oldest PC600 made in Austria. No big deal, but I feel the difference, & not only I.

bee
03-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Try Sun Tennis and Jade Tennis. You can find them via Google. May have only the 1/4" grips. I've purchased from both.

Alex
03-16-2005, 07:16 AM
I'm trying to locate the HEAD Classic Mid specification.
Does anyone know where can i find it? Thanks in advance.

TW have it but i couldn't locate the web page. Help Please.