PDA

View Full Version : rettro tennis

Kirko
03-06-2005, 06:47 PM
I was thinking about buying some new running shoes and I always buy the most basic shoe . The companies that produce shoes make older designs eg. addias country & my current fav. the puma sloan. Why couldn't racket companies make a retro line of frames. You know a "classic" line. The ones we really like !

hummer23
03-06-2005, 06:49 PM
wanna play with a woodie? or by classic you mean like ps 85 and prestige classic? if you wanna hit the court with a maxply, i dont think it'll improve your odds of winning, and if you dont win, you dont buy another, and companies dont lose money. that being said, i'd love if they did that too.

Steve Huff
03-06-2005, 08:32 PM
If you want a woodie, even a new one, you can probably still find them. I have several brand new wood rackets that I've bought over the last 3 or 4 years.

LafayetteHitter
03-06-2005, 10:26 PM
Well there Mcenroe's new Dunlop, it's very retro. And the PK Laver Heritage Type C is pretty sweet in my opinion.

Scott

Deuce
03-06-2005, 11:05 PM
The only thing 'retro' about the new McEnroe frame is the paint.

I was thinking about this the other day. I was thinking that it would be neat if someone started a racquet company which produced only the 'classic' frames from the graphite era. Of course, they'd likely have to buy the rights - and the molds - from the original companies - but that may not be quite as difficult as it would at first appear. The company could sell directly to the public - kind of like Vantage does.

I think the market would be big enough to be able to make a significant profit. Of course, such a company could only last a certain number of years, as we old farts who remember the classics won't live forever, and there's been no such thing as a classic racquet introduced in the past 10 years - because they all have such a short lifespan, before being discontinued.

Think of it - a one-stop shop where we could find the Graphite Edge, Prestige Classic, Black Ace, Black Max, Max 200G, Pro Staff 85, Vac Pro 90, etc., etc...

Of course, they'd have to offer the Prince Mag 90, as well...

LafayetteHitter
03-06-2005, 11:47 PM
Well I assumed he mean't retro "looking" not actually Classic molds. I never claimed the McEnroe racquet was a classic mold, I could care less actually, just mean't that it would go with retro styled shoes.