PDA

View Full Version : The guy who's always late

Blask
03-22-2009, 02:18 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this but I wanted to get it out there.

I hate it when people are late to team tennis matches (USTA) or who show up late to team practices. The worst is also when we have an indoor court booked and the same person shows up for doubles about 5 mins late every time. We only get the courts in 90 minute blocks so it's hard to get a full best of 3 sets in even when everyone is on time.

This last time we were about 5-7 minutes in to our doubles warmups indoors when the person strolled in and finally got on the court (after changing shoes, taking off a few layers, having a few sips of water, etc). About 5 mins later I said "is everyone ready for serves" and this person was like "already?". I called him out and said we all here on time and had warmed up plenty already and I got a smug response back.

I don't really have a question for anyone but figured I would see if there are people out there with similar teammates or hitting partners. I'm pretty anal about being on time for everything, getting to the matches/courts early to do some stretching, so when it's time to go I'm fully ready. It's like going to work, if you are supposed to start work at 8AM then that means you are at your desk, computer on, ready to roll. It doesn't mean walk in the door at 8AM, go get coffee , chit chat with everyone, eat your yogurt and then boot up the computer so at 8:15 you're working.

I know the easy fix is to play with someone else or stop inviting them out, but am I wrong for wanting people to be on time for tennis?

gould2000
03-22-2009, 02:29 PM
I tend to be early, so I can take care of everything and hit the court when our booked time is set to begin. I agree with you 100%. I think you did the right thing calling him out. If people don't start to let him know, he will never change.

Bud
03-22-2009, 02:29 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this but I wanted to get it out there.

I hate it when people are late to team tennis matches (USTA) or who show up late to team practices. The worst is also when we have an indoor court booked and the same person shows up for doubles about 5 mins late every time. We only get the courts in 90 minute blocks so it's hard to get a full best of 3 sets in even when everyone is on time.

This last time we were about 5-7 minutes in to our doubles warmups indoors when the person strolled in and finally got on the court (after changing shoes, taking off a few layers, having a few sips of water, etc). About 5 mins later I said "is everyone ready for serves" and this person was like "already?". I called him out and said we all here on time and had warmed up plenty already and I got a smug response back.

I don't really have a question for anyone but figured I would see if there are people out there with similar teammates or hitting partners. I'm pretty anal about being on time for everything, getting to the matches/courts early to do some stretching, so when it's time to go I'm fully ready. It's like going to work, if you are supposed to start work at 8AM then that means you are at your desk, computer on, ready to roll. It doesn't mean walk in the door at 8AM, go get coffee , chit chat with everyone, eat your yogurt and then boot up the computer so at 8:15 you're working.

I know the easy fix is to play with someone else or stop inviting them out, but am I wrong for wanting people to be on time for tennis?

Sounds more appropriate for Rants and Raves :wink:

simi
03-23-2009, 08:27 AM
On our team and in our club...you don't show up on time, you don't play.

goober
03-23-2009, 09:09 AM
For USTA matches you have to show up on time or early. However sometimes there are legit reasons why somebody is a little late. We all have life outside of tennis and obviously that takes precedence (or it should). More important than a single incident is a pattern of behavior. If somebody is often late that is a problem. One or two occasional times with a legit reason is not.

For practice I guess things are ok if you are more lax. I probably would feel differently if I were paying a lot of $$$ for an indoor court, but since I don't it doesn't really bother me.

EasleyTennis
03-23-2009, 10:20 AM
stop putting him in the lineup imo.

Tarboro
03-24-2009, 10:40 AM
If your league has rules in place to allow a grace period for late players, some players will take until the last allowable minute to arrive. My non-USTA league allows up to 20 minutes after the established start time for players to arrive; at 21 minutes past the hour that line is automatically forfeit. Most teams are obliging and make every effort to arrive 15-20 minutes early. That allows everyone to get their trips to the bathroom, change clothes, drink water, eat a protein bar, etc before the match starts. We're usually warming up by 5 minutes before the start time and playing by 10 minutes after.

Other teams take advantage of the 20-minute grace period virtually every week. The courts are deserted at the appointed start time. People start filtering in by 5 minutes after the hour, and the matches rarely start until half an hour past the start time. It's human nature. You'll notice the same phenomenon at work. Some people arrive habitually early and stay late. Other people arrive habitually late and often make a big deal about staying 15 minutes late to "make up" for it.

heninfan99
03-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Since he's late to everything he must be a selfish person.

I don't agree with your work thing. Sometime computers can take 5 minutes to boot and I use that time to chomp down my breakfast.

Blask
03-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Since he's late to everything he must be a selfish person.

I don't agree with your work thing. Sometime computers can take 5 minutes to boot and I use that time to chomp down my breakfast.

Well, if your computer takes 5 mins to boot up that's a whole different issue. I leave mine on at night so it's ready to go. Regardless, you get my point about work... I want prefer to be ready to go when the time comes, not straggling in and messing around for 15 mins before settling in.

simi
03-25-2009, 10:05 AM
Well...

I'm curious...now that you know our thoughts and got some "advice", what are you going to do about the situation?

KOPT
03-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Most of the time im on time,but sometimes im late.So what?Maybe i was stuck in gridlock traffic,or had some other exuse.Life happens..............

EasleyTennis
03-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Most of the time im on time,but sometimes im late.So what?Maybe i was stuck in gridlock traffic,or had some other exuse.Life happens..............

So you're "that" guy huh..

Babo
03-27-2009, 10:01 AM
I understand that its annoying but be grateful that its only 5-7 minutes, in the southwest outdoor courts are plentiful and its not uncommon to have someone show up 30 minutes late...its harder to find people to play with than courts to play on

NE14Tennis?
04-12-2009, 09:01 AM
On our team and in our club...you don't show up on time, you don't play.

Had a partner who showed up late for dubs 3 or 4 times, so the next time, we just started without him. He showed up; I told him we had started on schedule and it was 0-2, 15-30 as I'd been playing against two by myself - he never showed up late again.

Jim A
04-12-2009, 10:17 AM
we've had someone consistently late by 15-20 minutes each week for doubles, and they don't call until they are already late...

a couple weeks ago I had a sub ready to go and put them out there, when the person called I just let them know that we were all set and someone had subbed in...they could check if they the sub would let them switch at the end of the first of 3 sets..

hasn't been an issue since