PDA

View Full Version : Attention: LM Instinct users

samoca
03-06-2005, 10:23 PM
Just bought an LM instinct from someone here. The string on it currently is Head Fibergel. The ball just flies. I am used to a heavier head light racquet (PK 5g). When I demoed my friend's Instinct, the ball stayed in better, but still had a control issue, but I played so well with the racquet (he was missing half my shots--must be my lefty spin) in ways that I can't with the 5g, that I decided to buy one.

I have had arm soreness (not particularly elbow--more like shoulder and hand) so I don't want a harsh string. I did post on the string board but didn't get many responses so I thought I'd try here.

How do you make this a more control-oriented racquet so you don't have to hold back on your swings? What string/tension do you use? (I'm a 4.0 mostly doubles player, female).

hungry
03-07-2005, 12:04 AM
IMO arm-sourness is mostly the result of a too large gripsize. With the instinct you are lucky. Gripsize can easily be ajusted with Head racquets. (Under the grip are pallets with you can take off; there are pallets available for all gripsizes).

ALSO:

I know a lot of girls/women at about that level. They can all handle quite a lot of pace. They hit te ball back at that same pace. BUT quite a few times they can do that without making enough space to make a proper stroke. So they make a really fast but short stoke which they can make because the raquet isn't so heavy... This can cause pain.

I don't know if this applies to you (but be aware..)

If you need a string that has a lot of control witch isn't too stiff:
Try Luxilon Supersense

counterpuncher
03-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Some may disagree with me, but a good control string which is fairly soft feeling for a poly and which I currently play in my Instinct is Luxilon Big Banger Ace. IMO this is way softer than Timo, Alu & BB Original and almost as soft as Supersense but has better control and bite than Supersense.

As soon as I switched to BB Ace (57 lbs) from Head Fibregel (60 lbs) I could swing out and with good topspin to keep the ball in the court without fear of it going long as the string has good pocketing and spin capability.

hungry
03-08-2005, 12:04 AM
counterpuncher is right... ACE is also a good option.

but it's a little faster than Supersense (not a huge difference)

deflori
03-08-2005, 02:05 PM
I play with an alu power on my Instinct at 26kg and have no Arm Problems....
Great Control with the Alu,on low tensions too..
I only got LITTLE probs when its too often played,you must try all out and then see whats good for you..
Maybe you played too much the last days/weeks - because normally the Instinct is very very armfriendly..

Ace or a Head intellistring or something is a good option..
When you got Problems with your arm,took up some,but no Polyester..or you play Polyester at the Mains as a Hybrid String.....

wao
03-08-2005, 02:31 PM
I used to play with Super spikey 17 at 57 and no problems.
Wayne

iscottius
03-08-2005, 04:04 PM
The LM instinct is a soft frame and utilizes twin tube technology to dampen vibration, and is actually an arm friendly racquet. The poly strings may make it less comfortable, but should not cause pain.

samoca
03-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Actually, I see that what I posted about arm soreness was misleading. I meant in the past with other racquets (actually--specifically, Volkl Cat 4, which is just way too light). Recently I've been using a PK 5g, which is the racquet always recommended for arm problems, and my arm has been pretty good. I have only borrowed the Instinct from a friend and played so startlingly better with it that I thought I had to buy one. I just got mine used from somebody off the classified board. It needed restringing (had Head Fibergel but was totally shot). My friend uses NXT 16 in his Instinct at 58, but the ball tends to fly with that too, that's why I thought I'd ask around. I had some Volkl Powerfiber in my bag, it turns out, that I liked in my Volkls and so I'm gonna use it it, try 60 pounds for the first trial. I'm really glad to hear that the Instinct is supposed to be arm friendly, because it's not very head light, closer to even balance, and I have always sort of bought into the head light, heavier racquet as being better for your arm. Plus it's lighter than my PK 5g in static weight but higher in swing weight, so it feels really different. It's a really unusual racquet.

Does anybody use lead on theirs to weight it up a little?

samoca
03-08-2005, 05:37 PM
P.S. Forgot to thank everybody for your input! I'm going to go back to this thread for the next time I need strings (altho' unlike all you men, I almost never break strings--I guess I need string breaking lessons LOL).

framer
03-24-2005, 08:25 AM
I string my LM Instinct with Lux Alu Power at 62lbs. I have tried a variety of string setups with this racquet - VS Touch gut, Gammer Livewire Pro and various Lux strings at 55-58lbs. Right now, my game is dialed into Alu power at 62lbs and it is just right for me - lots of pinpoint control.

sm-2004
03-24-2005, 03:30 PM
I put Sensation at 56lb. on my wife's Instinct . I think, she is ok with it. Balls fly only on insane shots... I know one guy, who hated Instinct, strung with Rip Control...
So, just try to increase the tension of nice multifilament strings.

deflori
03-24-2005, 03:48 PM
Yeah,how i see,there are a few instinct users here..
Think its a little underrated by many,but its one of the greatest Sticks out there.
Youzhny,Gasquet,Myskina and many others speaks for himself;)

billyboybeacon
03-25-2005, 10:18 PM
I play w/ the xl tour model and it is awesome but I never see any threads.. have you guys tried the longer version..I switched from the volkl tour 10 mp..a little stiffer but the serve weww