PDA

View Full Version : Any idea what Pancho Gonzales used in his prime?

dataseviltwin
03-22-2009, 08:39 PM
I looked at Google trying to determine which of the Spalding's Pancho *really* used, and really couldn't determine it from the not-so-good quality of the photos. Anyone got an idea? :confused: I've got really old (1905=>1930's) rackets, then 80's, so that's an era I'm a little light on in the collection... Would like to fill the void with the "real deal" - many thanks!

Kirko
03-22-2009, 09:02 PM
I looked at Google trying to determine which of the Spalding's Pancho *really* used, and really couldn't determine it from the not-so-good quality of the photos. Anyone got an idea? :confused: I've got really old (1905=>1930's) rackets, then 80's, so that's an era I'm a little light on in the collection... Would like to fill the void with the "real deal" - many thanks!

the racket that really lived up to having his name on it was made in australia by splading it was white , natural wood with white trim & had his photo. on both sides of the shaft in black & white. my brother used this raacket when we were kids ; kinda pricey. when i lived in nevada I mentioned this frame to a paly of Gonzales whitney reed and he corroborated what I thought it was the "one & only" wood racket that he used. last time I saw gonzales hit tennis balls he was using a frame made by a texas company called Antelope he used the oversize model (Mars).

joe sch
03-23-2009, 07:16 AM
the racket that really lived up to having his name on it was made in australia by splading it was white , natural wood with white trim & had his photo. on both sides of the shaft in black & white. my brother used this raacket when we were kids ; kinda pricey. when i lived in nevada I mentioned this frame to a paly of Gonzales whitney reed and he corroborated what I thought it was the "one & only" wood racket that he used. last time I saw gonzales hit tennis balls he was using a frame made by a texas company called Antelope he used the oversize model (Mars).

It is difficult to know which of the many woody's that Pancho endorsed that he actually used at various times, especially since the video quality is soo poor for any available video showing Gonzales. Im sure Kirko is correct especially since Whitney confirmed. If you watch that recent special documentary at Ceasars where Pancho was to retire but basically changed his plans after beating the top players in the world including Newcombe, Rosewall, and Ashe (Pancho was 41 at this time) he was using the metal spalding smasher.

Kirko, is this the racket you are referring to below:

http://woodtennis.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3563482

Kirko
03-23-2009, 08:30 AM
It is difficult to know which of the many woody's that Pancho endorsed that he actually used at various times, especially since the video quality is soo poor for any available video showing Gonzales. Im sure Kirko is correct especially since Whitney confirmed. If you watch that recent special documentary at Ceasars where Pancho was to retire but basically changed his plans after beating the top players in the world including Newcombe, Rosewall, and Ashe (Pancho was 41 at this time) he was using the metal spalding smasher.

Kirko, is this the racket you are referring to below:

http://woodtennis.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3563482

Yes ! I believe it is ! a very well made frame ! my brother had one too bad it was lost in a fire.

Kirko
03-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Joe, I showed the pic. of that Gonzales racket to my brother and he went crazy! he loved those frames! he told me he bought up the "stash" the country club our parents belonged to (11.00) a piece he bought three. big spender :) all you had to do is read the "writing"on this frame and know this was a pro's frame.

dataseviltwin
03-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks guys :) Joe- woood... is that the Southern pronunciatiooon of that material ;-) ?

joe sch
03-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Here are a few other popular Pancho Gonzales endorsed and used rackets. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, the metal spalding smasher was the one that Pancho used late in his career.

http://www.woodtennis.com/panchogonzales/

jimbo333
03-25-2009, 04:19 AM
Hi Joe, I really like that "Gonazles Pro Champ Tennis Set", a really cool retro looking item! I have a really similar one, but with a metal racquet instead. When I eventually start posting pictures here in the year 2059 will show you:(

Were there "Connors Tennis Sets" like this? If so would pay top price for one of these:):)

joe sch
03-25-2009, 07:47 AM
Hi Joe, I really like that "Gonazles Pro Champ Tennis Set", a really cool retro looking item! I have a really similar one, but with a metal racquet instead. When I eventually start posting pictures here in the year 2059 will show you:(

Were there "Connors Tennis Sets" like this? If so would pay top price for one of these:):)

Jimbo,

That Gonzales tennis set is a really nice display collectible but it was actually targetted for more of the casual player with the racket that was included. Notice on the picture, it shows Pancho serving the metal smasher. I have not seen the connors sets. Did they include a t2000 or one of those wood rackets that Jimbo endorsed but did not really play ?

jimbo333
03-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Jimbo,

That Gonzales tennis set is a really nice display collectible but it was actually targetted for more of the casual player with the racket that was included. Notice on the picture, it shows Pancho serving the metal smasher. I have not seen the connors sets. Did they include a t2000 or one of those wood rackets that Jimbo endorsed but did not really play ?

This is quite funny, because in the Gonzales Tennis Set I have, it includes a cheap metal racquet and a picture of Pancho playing with a wood racquet!!! Seriously!!!

As for Connors Tennis Sets, I have no idea. I was actually asking you? It's just something I can imagine Wilson did, and being a big Connors fan, something I'd like to see/own etc:)