PDA

View Full Version : Question for Thomas Martinez

SC in MA
03-07-2005, 04:27 AM
Hi Thomas: If you have time, I got a couple of questions related to the AeroPro Drive that I could really use your help with.

1) I just got mine yesterday and have only hit with it once. Maybe its because I come from using heavier rackets, but the stock APD feels light and sort of hollow while feeling basically solid at the same time. Anyway, I was wondering what you'd recommend in terms of adding a bit of weight to it, while retaining the same balance? I was thinking of adding a bit at 3 & 9, but I'm not sure how to add weight to the handle. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2) The recommend string tension listed on the racket is 55/62lbs. Do you know if this is the "woofer" range? I'd like to test out the woofer effect. I strung mine at 60lbs to start. On my 2001 Pure Control, the recommended woofer range was much lower, 48/55lbs.

3) Do you know if Babolat makes this racket in the "plus" size only and then simply chops .5" off to produce the standard size?

TIA. I appreciate any help.

thomas martinez
03-07-2005, 08:08 AM
To each his or her own with regards to adding weight. It is in some ways at times a trial and error if you do not have a set weight balance and swing weight you want to work with. Adding weight to the handle can be easily done, unwrap grip, put some lead down at the bottom, re wrap grip, if you use leather, go with the Babolat, it's a bit heavier than others, and you get some cheap free weight added into the handle area. Alternatively, you can do the TW fishing weight trick or inject silicone into it. I string mine between 24.5-25 kilos. Very low. Granted I use poly for the most part, but when I go with the occasional full gut, it's the same. I really am not sure how they are made like that, but I would possibly wager that when they do make the frames, prior to final finish, they are all the same length, and then adjusted to suit. I really cannot answer it, just giving some supposition here.

SC in MA
03-07-2005, 09:06 AM
Thanks Thomas. I appreciate the info.

Pistol Pete
03-07-2005, 08:22 PM
hey thomas quick question...in terms of leather grips which do you think is better babolat or wilson? also which one weighs more babolat or wilson or are they the same?

thomas martinez
03-08-2005, 04:19 AM
Best? That's subjective. For one who likes the Wilson, someone else will like the Babolat. THe Babolat is definitely the heavier of the two.