PDA

View Full Version : HS team coaches - format for challenge matches to determine seeds

tennisbutterfly
03-07-2005, 07:31 AM
I am a H.S. tennis coach assistant and am wondering how other coaches do their challenge matches to give players the chance to play higher seeded positions. I have 4 singles players and 2 doubles teams on Varsity. 11 kids total on the team, incl. J.V.. Interested in the rules you use for the challenge procedure, such as can a player only challenge so many times a week, be challenged only so many times a week, allowing j.v. to challenge, etc. .....

Cobra Tennis
03-08-2005, 08:59 AM
When i was in HS, our challenge matches were setup by the coach. We would have odd or even days. On an odd day the #1 would play #2, 3 plays 4, 5 plays 6.... on an even day 2 would play 3, 4 would play 5, that would some progression would occur. On a 5 day schedule we would have 1 odd day and one even day, then the other 3 days drills... Of course you could change this to your suiting, just thought i would chime in...

tennisbutterfly
03-08-2005, 07:23 PM
That's the first time that I have heard of that method, but I really like it. Makes it nice and simple and everybody knows they will have to play and make it count on those days. Thanks for telling. On doubles teams, did the doubles team challenge as a team, or did the individual players challenge and then possibly make up a new team depending on who won or loss?

Cobra Tennis
03-08-2005, 08:44 PM
our high school format is 5 singles matches and 2 doubles matches. Only 2 players in the singles line up can play in doubles. So the #1 doubles team consisted of our #1 player and usually the #2. The #2 doubles team was made up of our #6 and #7 player. We had enough depth for the #6 and #7 to be very successful and have a winning record playing the #2 spot. There was never really a need to challenge the two, because its obvious that the #1 doubles team would beat the #2 team easily.

However, in your situation, I would take the reins as coach and pair up teams on a skill level basis and how you feel on the ability. And then let them challenge themselves according....

Hope this helps and glad I could help,
Brian