PDA

View Full Version : A college tennis journey

roddick_rulz
03-23-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm currently from Canada and want to eventually get some sort of DI or DII scholarship.
Part of my adventure in all of this is to be apart of the full time program at IMG Academies.
I know that as a Canadian, it's much harder to get recruited and all compared to someone in the US so I figure that I should be playing some USTA tournaments.
For one thing, can i join the USTA even though I'm not an American citizen?
Secondly, are there just national tournaments or is there more?...a link would be appreciated.
And lastly, does this sound like a good plan to fulfill my dreams?

tennismom42
03-23-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm currently from Canada and want to eventually get some sort of DI or DII scholarship.
Part of my adventure in all of this is to be apart of the full time program at IMG Academies.
I know that as a Canadian, it's much harder to get recruited and all compared to someone in the US so I figure that I should be playing some USTA tournaments.
For one thing, can i join the USTA even though I'm not an American citizen?
Secondly, are there just national tournaments or is there more?...a link would be appreciated.
And lastly, does this sound like a good plan to fulfill my dreams?
Well, I hope this isn't harsh, but why do you want to go to USA for college? Canada has great colleges! The grass isn't greener over here, really. 2nd, advancing in USTA tennis is very difficult. My kid is in the 18 & unders, so we've been wasting $$ on tennis for at least 8 years. For what his dad & I have spent in tennis, it would have paid for a 4-year college degree for almost anyplace in the USA. Keep that in mind.

How old are you? The recruiters are looking at 16 -18 year olds.

I really don't think you can join the USTA unless you're an american. That's because the kids belong to a Section, within the USA.

Check out your Canadian organization for tennis or ITF. Here is a link for the ITF. Use the search engine on the right & chose for Canadian locations.

http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/tournaments/

Here's a Canadian site: http://www.tenniscanada.ca/tennis_canada/Pub/DisplayPage.aspx?enc=WqmHTIXb3hZBDLgekBXg/sIcZSrmu3jo8X8+Ar00+qwdUmawXKfPtaNQkduNElqPKFCIWVh S8zkCTboOtIoKFA==

roddick_rulz
03-24-2009, 04:51 AM
I'm 16 right now.
I know that Canada has great colleges and all but you can't get athletic scholarships and I plan to move to the USA eventually so I figured I mine as well start with college.
What do you mean by the advancing in USTA difficult?

ihearit1st
03-24-2009, 06:42 AM
Well, I hope this isn't harsh, but why do you want to go to USA for college? Canada has great colleges! The grass isn't greener over here, really. 2nd, advancing in USTA tennis is very difficult. My kid is in the 18 & unders, so we've been wasting $$ on tennis for at least 8 years. For what his dad & I have spent in tennis, it would have paid for a 4-year college degree for almost anyplace in the USA. Keep that in mind.

I really don't think you can join the USTA unless you're an american. That's because the kids belong to a Section, within the USA.

Check out your Canadian organization for tennis or ITF. Here is a link for the ITF. Use the search engine on the right & chose for Canadian locations.

http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/tournaments/

Here's a Canadian site: http://www.tenniscanada.ca/tennis_canada/Pub/DisplayPage.aspx?enc=WqmHTIXb3hZBDLgekBXg/sIcZSrmu3jo8X8+Ar00+qwdUmawXKfPtaNQkduNElqPKFCIWVh S8zkCTboOtIoKFA==

You can join as a Canadian as long as you are currently living in the US. If you are a Canadian living in Florida at IMG, you will be in the Florida section. If you are living in New York, you will be in the Eastern section.

roddick_rulz
03-25-2009, 02:17 PM
Do you think this well help me obtain some sort of scholarship?

goober
03-25-2009, 02:34 PM

You do not have to be American citizen to join USTA for adults or juniors.

Sorry you feel like you are wasting money. Investing huge amounts of money into tennis in the hopes of a full ride scholarship is a losing proposition from a pure financial perspective. The number of full rides given to American boys is very small. The cost to get very good is very high.

There are much better ways to invest money to pay for college. But on the bright side your son will probably tear up USTA adult leagues later on in life. :)