PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded slump..

dgrave2
03-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Ok so I've had a great start to this year as opposed to last year (which btw was my first year playing tennis). I started out 3-1.. and I've really been feeling good about my game. And since then have lost the next 5 out of 6 matches I've played and its really starting to get to me. Now granted... 5 out of 6 of those matches were me playing a level higher than I am.. but the 1 match that was at my level, I lost.. and its really frustrating.. I feel like I should at least win those.. and I'm the captain.. so I almost feel like its double important.. the captain should win. Maybe thats why I'm losing.. its all in my head.

It's obviously MY fault and not my racquet... but I've been thinking of demoing some new racquets... I've had the same racquet (MG extreme) since I started playing tennis in january 08 (well competitively) but now my game has completely changed.. and I'm thinking I might want to see what else is out there..

But anyway.. my point of this thread.. what do you do when you find it difficult for you to win a match.. hell even a set?! It's fine when I lose 1 or 2 matches... ok fine. but losing a few in a row just gets kinda tiresome. Do you take some time off to regroup? Immediately schedule a lesson with a pro and work on your issues? Quit tennis? haha. Just wondering what you all do....

Aldi Patron
03-23-2009, 06:53 PM
I drink. A lot.

On a more serious note, maybe lowering your expectations heading into each match might clear your head. Instead of trying to put it all together, what about working on one or two things you know you can improve upon? That may bring some consistency back, and you can go from there.

saram
03-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Take a week off. Don't touch a tennis racket for any reason. Think about other things and return mentally fresh.

Jim A
03-23-2009, 11:17 PM
When you are playing up mostly you have to look at it as a way to develop your game. In my experience when I play up I aim for consistency in my game in lieu of hitting harder serves, forehands, etc..I notice its more about placemetn

Just because I do that doesn't mean I'm going to win all my matches at my current level. Heck I could beat someone at the higher level and then get waxed when dropping down its happened to me earlier this year.

step back, there will be good runs and bad runs of momentum, focus on enjoying it and if needed take a couple days off....

tennisdad65
03-24-2009, 07:50 AM
This is only your 2nd year of tennis :)

90% of the players I see on the courts have 3+ years of experience.. many at my age have 25+ years of experience :). It is unrealistic to expect to win much unless you play against guys who are beginners or 1-2 year experience.

Take your losses as a learning experience.. Do not bother about losing right now..

Instead, concentrate on technique during wall practice, rallying, serve practice etc. With correct technique, your upper NTRP ceiling after 5-7 years will be 5.0-5.5. With incorrect technique, your upper ceiling after 10+ years will be 4.0.