PDA

View Full Version : Disadvantage of Nadal that can benefit Federer

wilsondude
03-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Hey guys,
I'm a true Federer fan, but I will do my best to not be biased whatsoever.
What I have to come to realization on is that many consider Nadals mental toughness as a strength, but I can also see it as being a disadvantage. Having Nadals mindset, all the pros know that Nadal tries his best EVERY match he contends in. He never gives up and gives his all in every match. That said, all Federer would have to do is beat Nadal in any official match to gain confidence, not necessarily in a slam, because since Nadal tries as hard in every match, he knows that if he can beat Nadal in a masters tournament or something like that then he can definately win in a slam. Then I started to think, Nadal is in better shape and slams are 3 out of 5 sets, so its different, but it really isn't. A win is a win, and confidence is confidence, Federer just needs a win against Nadal to get his confidence back, period. Any thoughts on this?
P.S. Federer watching this might give him some confidence.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JhE6yswzyo&feature=related

Tennis_Maestro
03-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Sorry, i don't quite get the gist of what your getting @

Any player's would gain confidence out of defeating their main rival who is number 1

Federer's psycological issues are a lot deeper than you make it over as.

veroniquem
03-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Hey guys,
I'm a true Federer fan, but I will do my best to not be biased whatsoever.
What I have to come to realization on is that many consider Nadals mental toughness as a strength, but I can also see it as being a disadvantage. Having Nadals mindset, all the pros know that Nadal tries his best EVERY match he contends in. He never gives up and gives his all in every match. That said, all Federer would have to do is beat Nadal in any official match to gain confidence, not necessarily in a slam, because since Nadal tries as hard in every match, he knows that if he can beat Nadal in a masters tournament or something like that then he can definately win in a slam. Then I started to think, Nadal is in better shape and slams are 3 out of 5 sets, so its different, but it really isn't. A win is a win, and confidence is confidence, Federer just needs a win against Nadal to get his confidence back, period. Any thoughts on this?
P.S. Federer watching this might give him some confidence.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JhE6yswzyo&feature=related
??????????????

wilsondude
03-24-2009, 04:59 PM
All I am trying to say is that Nadals mental toughness can be seen as a disadvantage becaues some players dont play as well certain tournaments as they do slams rather than Nadal who tries in every match so the amount of confidence a player can get from beating Nadal would be greater rather than beating someone else, not because hes number 1 but because he puts in equal effort in all his matches so wins against him for ppl like safin in masters can give them inspiration to succeed in slams.

Nadal_Freak
03-24-2009, 05:01 PM
All I am trying to say is that Nadals mental toughness can be seen as a disadvantage becaues some players dont play as well certain tournaments as they do slams rather than Nadal who tries in every match so the amount of confidence a player can get from beating Nadal would be greater rather than beating someone else, not because hes number 1 but because he puts in equal effort in all his matches so wins against him for ppl like safin in masters can give them inspiration to succeed in slams.
Already happened. Federer beat Nadal in Hamburg only to get beat in 4 sets at RG.

Tennis_Maestro
03-24-2009, 05:06 PM

What your basically trying to say is Federer is @ an advantage because Nadal doesn't / can't thrive on confidence?

...and the reason he can't thrive on confidence is because he's ... always playing his best tennis / trying his hardest?

I've done a bit in Sports Psychology and i've never come across a theory like that. May be you are creating your own Sports Philosophy? lol I don't know, it just doesn't add up to me.

rubberduckies
03-24-2009, 05:10 PM
If you're asking whether beating Nadal at MS will help boost Fed's confidence at Slams, then the answer is definitely yes.

I wouldn't put too much stock into the argument that victories over Nadal are more significant because he tries hard or the argument that he tries a lot harder than other players. Everybody tries hard. Roger has made some incredible comebacks (against Nadal even) because he refused to call it quits.

wilsondude
03-24-2009, 05:12 PM
What your basically trying to say is Federer is @ an advantage because Nadal doesn't / can't thrive on confidence?

...and the reason he can't thrive on confidence is because he's ... always playing his best tennis / trying his hardest?

I've done a bit in Sports Psychology and i've never come across a theory like that. May be you are creating your own Sports Philosophy? lol I don't know, it just doesn't add up to me.

im not saying federer has an advantage, in fact nadal has the advantage because he beat federer the last several times they played, he has the winning record and he has the number 1 ranking, but in my opinion, all federer needs is 1 win against nadal, regardless of the tournament, to gain confidence and be bale to have a CHANCE to beat nadal comfortably in a slam.