PDA

View Full Version : New Ohio State Player

Lindsay
03-24-2009, 07:58 PM
I just read on ZooTennis that US #1 Chase Buchanan will be joining Ohio State in the Spring Quarter of the school year to help Ohio State to a National Championship in College Station. He left the USTA National Team in Spain to begin training with OSU. He was courtside as OSU played this weekend. He will be joining the lineup on March 30, OSU's first day of spring classes.

How does everyone think this will affect the NCAA Championships? I think this is a HUGE addition for OSU. He will probably come in playing line 4 behind some very experienced players who were all Top 10 a few weeks ago. This should make them even stronger at the middle-bottom of the lineup. Chase is also a very good doubles player. OSU will benefit just like Ole Miss benefited from the addition of Devon Britton.

Fedace
03-25-2009, 04:57 AM
Yes this is a surprise. I personally don't like this. it is almost like a rent a player. This is college with precedence on Education, not a pro team with trade deadlines.

ihearit1st
03-25-2009, 09:33 AM
Yes this is a surprise. I personally don't like this. it is almost like a rent a player. This is college with precedence on Education, not a pro team with trade deadlines.

its not as if he's not going to school. he graduated in december, and has spent the last few weeks in spain with the usta team. he probably realized if he wanted a good shot at winning a national title, it was this year with moneke and koniecko on the team. ty tucker probably had a little pull also in convincing him the time is now. lucky for him, osu is in the quarter system not semester. expect to see him in action in april vs. kentucky.

GavinC360
03-25-2009, 12:57 PM
I think that will def help OSU, but I agree with Fedace that it seems a little like Rent-a-player, but I understand that it just how it works

goober
03-25-2009, 02:16 PM

Yes they should be like fine education first Stanford athletes like Jared Palmer, J-Mac, Tiger woods and the Lopez Twins.

jaggy
03-25-2009, 07:09 PM
If he isnt back in school in the fall I will agree it is wrong, I have to wait till then.

Lindsay
03-25-2009, 07:26 PM
If he isnt back in school in the fall I will agree it is wrong, I have to wait till then.

He plans on being at OSU for a while. He graduated early to spend the spring training before he enrolled in the fall. But he decided to come a little early to contend for the title. He will be there in the fall as well.

AndrewD
03-25-2009, 10:59 PM

When ANY school gains a player based on that school's ability to offer a scholarship it ALL becomes 'rent a player' - something Stanford are equally guilty of. Perhaps, if they had a decent coach, Buchanan might have decided to go to Stanford. Unfortunately, they don't. As a result, they're continually losing out to schools where the coaching staff are more than just glorified clipboard jockeys.

Fedace
03-25-2009, 11:05 PM
^^^Decent coach ????? You are kidding, right ? Ty Tucker compared to coach Whitlinger ?? You cannot be serious..

SoCal10s
03-25-2009, 11:16 PM
Chase Buchanan sounds spotty .. I never liked his attitude when I saw him play.. he's big cry-baby and sometimes a cry-baby temper... someone mentioned that there was an incident with him at Kalamazoo 2008 and he got penalized for it.. anyone know what happened?

CTennis11
03-26-2009, 04:15 AM
If you look it up he actually played for the team on Monday. Lost 6-4 6-4 (I think) in the number 2 spot.

jaggy
03-26-2009, 05:48 AM
If you look it up he actually played for the team on Monday. Lost 6-4 6-4 (I think) in the number 2 spot.

Thats interesting. Many struggle to make a fast jump to college tennis, I never exactly understand this but it is common.

Fedace
03-26-2009, 06:46 AM

LOST ?? maybe this division 1 tennis is more tougher than i had given credit for. Bradley Klahn is consistantly winning at #2 spot so that tells you how talented he is.:)

ClarkC
03-26-2009, 07:15 AM
LOST ?? maybe this division 1 tennis is more tougher than i had given credit for. Bradley Klahn is consistantly winning at #2 spot so that tells you how talented he is.:)

Klahn lost at #2 against Pepperdine, just as Buchanan did, although not as badly. Klahn is a year older than Buchanan and was not playing his very first collegiate match, either.

ClarkC
03-26-2009, 07:17 AM
Thats interesting. Many struggle to make a fast jump to college tennis, I never exactly understand this but it is common.

If juniors and seniors do not often beat freshmen, then there is not much tennis development going on in college. Not sure why these results would be surprising.
If a freshman (who is really a high school senior in age) is going to whip top 50 ranked juniors and seniors in his first matches, college tennis is not much challenge for him and a waste of time.

ihearit1st
03-26-2009, 09:08 AM

"More tougher" is not grammatically correct. And it was his first match and versus a top 20 team. He also is injured at the moment if you take time to read the article.

Don't hate on Ohio state just because they have a more driven program than Stanford. And better.

Fedace
03-26-2009, 10:16 AM
"More tougher" is not grammatically correct. And it was his first match and versus a top 20 team. He also is injured at the moment if you take time to read the article.

Don't hate on Ohio state just because they have a more driven program than Stanford. And better.

Yes Yes, i am sure he was Exausted when he played his first match. If he is as good as advertized then it shouldn't have mattered that he played the top 20 team. and did you say Grammer or Grandma. ???:)

Joeyg
03-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Exhausted
Grammar
Advertise

bluetrain4
03-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Chase Buchanan sounds spotty .. I never liked his attitude when I saw him play.. he's big cry-baby and sometimes a cry-baby temper... someone mentioned that there was an incident with him at Kalamazoo 2008 and he got penalized for it.. anyone know what happened?

I saw him play in a Futures qualifying event in 2006. Good player, but so whiney and bratty. I wanted to slap him. His coach and mother did nothing.

But, he may have grown up by now.

Fedace
03-26-2009, 02:02 PM
I saw him play in a Futures qualifying event in 2006. Good player, but so whiney and bratty. I wanted to slap him. His coach and mother did nothing.

But, he may have grown up by now.

From what i am hearing from the other posters, he hasn't changed much. Sometime parents doesn't do enough to correct the spoiled kids when they are as talented as this kid is. they get pretty much everything they want, getting spoiled.

AndrewD
03-26-2009, 05:08 PM
^^^Decent coach ????? You are kidding, right ? Ty Tucker compared to coach Whitlinger ?? You cannot be serious..

Absolutely. As I've said before, Whitlinger has never proven that he can coach and he does absolutely nothing for the Stanford recruiting effort. He lives on the university's reputation, not his own. The day he can take a team of average players and turn them into the nation's best is the day I happily eat my words. However, he has shown that he isn't capable of that job. All he can do is take players who are elite juniors and maintain them at that level (some might say their game drops a bit). He doesn't have the capacity to improve them - which is the hallmark of a good coach.

The best thing Stanford tennis could do is make a break with the past, fire Whitlinger and Forood, and find themselves a couple of coaches who actually deserve that title.

Fedace
03-26-2009, 05:18 PM
Absolutely. As I've said before, Whitlinger has never proven that he can coach and he does absolutely nothing for the Stanford recruiting effort. He lives on the university's reputation, not his own. The day he can take a team of average players and turn them into the nation's best is the day I happily eat my words. However, he has shown that he isn't capable of that job. All he can do is take players who are elite juniors and maintain them at that level (some might say their game drops a bit). He doesn't have the capacity to improve them - which is the hallmark of a good coach.

The best thing Stanford tennis could do is make a break with the past, fire Whitlinger and Forood, and find themselves a couple of coaches who actually deserve that title.

Fire Forood ?? how did you get to that point ? Forood is already a Legend. Longest Home winning streak in history. and she doesn't really have any talent to boast. 1/2 of her players are fat and yet they are ranked just outside of top 10. That in itself speaks for itself.
and as far as coach Whitlinger is concerned, what do you mean he can't recruit ?? He had the best recruiting class in 08 season. and most likely he will win the NCAA this year. but one thing i am puzzled about is his decision to switch up the doubles teams last week. :confused:

Joeyg
03-26-2009, 05:56 PM
I would correct this post, but it is like making fun of crippled people.

NickC
03-26-2009, 06:08 PM
and as far as coach Whitlinger is concerned, what do you mean he can't recruit ?? He had the best recruiting class in 08 season.

Ok, I know you don't operate in the real world, but here's some logic for you. Take the 1+1=2 equation and you'll figure out what I mean.

~"Standford" has an elite program, due to being a power house in terms of academics AND athletics, and it's situated in a very beautiful area.
+
~ Good players will often want to play with others at their level ("talent attracts talent") and when others at their level all play in one place, others will want to join them.

=

-Take those facts into consideration, and add in the fact that it's a winning, stable program, you get the logical conclusion that "Coach Whit" doesn't need to do any recruiting, because the prestige of the program combined with the allure of the University itself already does the job. Your boy doesn't need to do anything besides sit on the sidelines and make the lineup. My dog could do that.

and most likely he will win the NCAA this year.

My *** they will. We all know "Standford" stands ZERO chance of winning.

AndrewD
03-27-2009, 05:26 AM
as far as coach Whitlinger is concerned, what do you mean he can't recruit ??

Stanford the educational institution recruited those players based on its outstanding (overly generous) reputation for academics and tennis. Whitlinger rides on its coat tails and, in truth, he's nothing more than a glorified towel boy.

Hell, I've got dead relatives who could do a better job coaching Stanford tennis than good old Whitless.

Retire Whitless, hire someone who understands tennis as it's played in this century and Stanford might finally stop squandering all of the talent it attracts.

AndrewD
03-27-2009, 05:33 AM
NickC,

Who do you think should take over at Stanford? I say Bryan Shelton would be a great idea. Stellar playing career, top flight coaching credentials - tour players, NCAA winning teams, knows how to build a team.

NickC
03-27-2009, 07:37 PM
NickC,

Who do you think should take over at Stanford? I say Bryan Shelton would be a great idea. Stellar playing career, top flight coaching credentials - tour players, NCAA winning teams, knows how to build a team.

I'm not well-versed in college tennis coaches, but I think that someone like John McEnroe would do the trick, if he was up for it. Think about it: he played for the team, wants to get back into the game in some way, and can help the boys learn a few things like netplay that are non-existent in today's game.

Fedace
03-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Stanford the educational institution recruited those players based on its outstanding (overly generous) reputation for academics and tennis. Whitlinger rides on its coat tails and, in truth, he's nothing more than a glorified towel boy.

Hell, I've got dead relatives who could do a better job coaching Stanford tennis than good old Whitless.

Retire Whitless, hire someone who understands tennis as it's played in this century and Stanford might finally stop squandering all of the talent it attracts.

I am not sure what you have against Coach Whitlinger. but here are the Facts. He has the complete utter respect and admiration from all his players, especially from Alex Clayton. These are smart kids. If your coaching ability is sub standard, they will see right thru it.
and besides, what has Brian Shelton done ? His prized pupil, Kristi Miller can't even break into top 300. Wow... there is some coaching for you.

duso
03-28-2009, 04:38 AM

How stupid are you?

Fedace
03-28-2009, 04:45 AM
How stupid are you?

Yea right,, Ty Tucker. yea, i heard he coached his team to several NCAA championships and also coached several players into Top 10 in the ATP tour. yea,,right.....

Joeyg
03-28-2009, 05:48 AM
I suppose ignorance is bliss. If this is so, you can imagine how some residents of Chicago/San Diego are deliriously happy.

Mdubb23
03-28-2009, 06:01 AM
I suppose is iognorance is bliss. If this is so, you can imagine how some residents of Chicago/San Diego are deliriously happy.

Thanks, early-morning chuckles are always much appreciated.

NickC
03-28-2009, 12:00 PM
How stupid are you?

It seems you haven't been on these boards often. He's quite dumb, and everyone but him will tell you that.

Yea right,, Ty Tucker. yea, i heard he coached his team to several NCAA championships and also coached several players into Top 10 in the ATP tour. yea,,right.....

OK. Past 10 years, how many "Standford" players have made it into the ATP top 10 for singles?

I suppose ignorance is bliss. If this is so, you can imagine how some residents of Chicago/San Diego are deliriously happy.

I got a kick outta that one. Great work Joey.

jaggy
03-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Shelton took the Ramblin Wreck to their first ever national title in ANY sport, thats what he has done.

chrisplchs
03-28-2009, 05:58 PM
not everybody can pull a Levine and win 24 in a row at #1

mtommer
03-28-2009, 08:05 PM

I don't remember all the specifics but basically he was throwing a fit on court and he got penalized a point. As a result I believe he lost the match right then and there as it was match point. He was getting beat pretty badly anyway. The crowd was booing at his antics as I recall. If I'm not mistaken though his parents were pretty upset at his attitude and "talking" to him after the match. It's been awhile though so I admit it is fuzzy.

AndrewD
03-29-2009, 05:31 AM
what has Brian Shelton done ? His prized pupil, Kristi Miller can't even break into top 300. Wow... there is some coaching for you.

Probably the stupidest argument you could make because it proves my point conclusively.

Shelton took a very good but not great player in Miller, combined her with a collection of average calibre players and won a national championship. THAT (winning with an average team) IS the hallmark of a good coach.

On that note, Forood had Anne Yelsey, Theresa Logar, Alice Barnes and Erin Burdette - all rated much higher than Miller- but none of them ever cracked the top 300. Guess she must be even worse than Shelton.

I am not sure what you have against Coach Whitlinger. but here are the Facts. He has the complete utter respect and admiration from all his players, especially from Alex Clayton. These are smart kids. If your coaching ability is sub standard, they will see right thru it.

Those aren't facts, they're opinions - the difference is obvious. That a couple of kids decided to play tennis at Stanford proves nothing more than that they were willing to trade their tennis skills for a decent education.

Facts are this- Whitlinger doesn't have the skills necessary to succeed with an average roster because he is incapable of getting a player to elevate his game. If they don't enter Stanford as exceptional players he just doesn't have the ability to win with them.

The saddest indictment is this: The only way he can succeed is if the players achieve despite him, not because of him.

duso
03-29-2009, 07:50 AM
Well stated Andrew D. John Whitlinger is a great guy. I played against him in High School and in juniors. However, the times have changed. Stanford is a great education, no doubt, so that attracts a certain type of top player. However, no Big 10 school is lacking in academic excellence! I really don't see that as an arguement for or against any school at this time. In these days of tight budgets, and cut backs, its hard to argue that you get a better education anywhere.

Fedace
03-30-2009, 02:33 AM
Well stated Andrew D. John Whitlinger is a great guy. I played against him in High School and in juniors. However, the times have changed. Stanford is a great education, no doubt, so that attracts a certain type of top player. However, no Big 10 school is lacking in academic excellence! I really don't see that as an arguement for or against any school at this time. In these days of tight budgets, and cut backs, its hard to argue that you get a better education anywhere.

Coach Gould himself named his successor as J Whitlinger. He had said in the past that there is noone better to lead Stanford tennis back to the NCAA championships. Team is getting better and better everyday and that is all you can ask for at this point. When this happens, usually the end result is championship season.:)

ihearit1st
03-30-2009, 05:54 AM
Team is getting better and better everyday and that is all you can ask for at this point. When this happens, usually the end result is championship season.:)

How are they getting better? They were ranked 4 last week, then lost to 3 teams ranked below them. That's actually what we like to call getting worse.

Joeyg
03-30-2009, 08:34 AM
Dr. Fedace NEVER lets facts get in the way of his arguments!

goober
03-30-2009, 09:02 AM
and besides, what has Brian Shelton done ? His prized pupil, Kristi Miller can't even break into top 300. Wow... there is some coaching for you.

lol- I am glad your "Standford" education is serving you so well. I show my daughter in second grade your post and asked if your post was stating facts or opinions. She said "obviously opinions" and rolled her eyes.

Fedace
03-30-2009, 09:03 AM
How are they getting better? They were ranked 4 last week, then lost to 3 teams ranked below them. That's actually what we like to call getting worse.

You need to follow the team closer in order to understand what is really going on. With the exception of Klahn and Thacher, team has not been playing well lately. They just have to make sure that they are getting hot going into NCAA tournament.

Joeyg
03-30-2009, 11:48 AM
First, he lived in Illinois. Then, it was California. Now, I see that the good doctor has moved to the state of denial!

Tennisman912
04-05-2009, 03:42 PM
It seems Chase Buchanan’s reputation is still intact and deserved IMHO. I saw his match today. He is a bit of a whiner, especially as the match progressed (and his opponent didn’t just roll over) into the second set, but is only a freshman so I assume he will mature. He let the second set slip away because of a few questionable calls (He did get the short end of those though IMHO) he didn’t let go. Lost a very close 3rd set tiebreak to have the only loss today. Pretty small but a very strong player obviously. Very nice facility in Ann Arbor.

Full Disclosure: I am far from a warped OSU lover who thinks the sun rises and falls with the scarlet and gray like many Ohioans (i.e. football). Nice to see the tennis team doing well though. Went to see the match because I used to play with a couple of the players when they were juniors so wanted to see how they are progressing.

Good tennis all

TM

EPaps
04-17-2009, 03:44 PM

What do you expect, it's Ohio State.

1hbhBUX
04-21-2009, 05:08 AM
Ohio State wrapped up its 4th consecutive Big Ten title. Buchanan is their no. 4 singles player and won over the weekend. I believe he's 5-3 this season.

jaggy
04-21-2009, 07:33 AM
Right now I expect OSU to win the NCAA mens.

Fedace
04-21-2009, 07:54 AM
Right now I expect OSU to win the NCAA mens.

This is not a put down but i think OSU will choke somewhere along the line. They have a great team but they don't have the mental toughness or team chemistry to make it happen.

jaggy
04-21-2009, 08:24 AM
This is not a put down but i think OSU will choke somewhere along the line. They have a great team but they don't have the mental toughness or team chemistry to make it happen.

I actually think that is an excellent point given how they have choked in the past but I somehow just feel this is their year. I hope not, I hate Ohio State!

ihearit1st
04-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Unfortunately your opinion isn't worth much feddie

safins back
04-22-2009, 06:45 AM
I wouldn't sleep on Virginia this year! I would say they are the favorite along with UCLA. They just won the ACC tournament over a VERY good Wake Forest team. Watch out for them.

chrisplchs
04-22-2009, 09:53 AM
UVA might win it all but their best players don't believe it. They say that Ohio State has the best team while UCLA has the most talent

Fedace
04-22-2009, 09:57 AM
UVA might win it all but their best players don't believe it. They say that Ohio State has the best team while UCLA has the most talent

Stanford will surprise some people by winning it all this year. They are getting healthy again and getting everyone hot going into NCAA. That makes them Dangerous.:)

1hbhBUX
04-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Since the Big Ten isn't exactly a great conference for tennis, OSU hasn't had a lot of competition. Lots of talent on that team, though.

jaggy
04-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Since the Big Ten isn't exactly a great conference for tennis, OSU hasn't had a lot of competition. Lots of talent on that team, though.

With all respect Illinois have a much better recent record than OSU. The Big 10 is improving every year.

jaggy
04-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Chase Buchanan playing #6 singles right now for OSU

jaggy
04-25-2009, 03:08 PM
OSU and Illinois in the Big 10 final, surprise surprise!

nadalfan!
04-26-2009, 06:09 AM
I saw chase yesterday, he's pretty good. He won 6-1, 6-4 at 6 singles. He is solid off of both wings and he can serve. He really knows how to work the points out.

SoCal10s
04-26-2009, 07:49 AM
he was groomed to be a pro player and he plays at 6th spot ? how desperate is that? rent a pro and put him at 6th spot so he can clean up on dirt..

jaggy
04-26-2009, 07:54 AM
he was groomed to be a pro player and he plays at 6th spot ? how desperate is that? rent a pro and put him at 6th spot so he can clean up on dirt..

Tim Tucker and OSU.

Fedace
04-26-2009, 08:50 AM

If i was Chase, i would tell Ty to go to hell. I would just tell him if i don't play in #2 or higher, i quit the team.:twisted:

SoCal10s
04-26-2009, 08:56 AM
Ohio State wrapped up its 4th consecutive Big Ten title. Buchanan is their no. 4 singles player and won over the weekend. I believe he's 5-3 this season.

If i was Chase, i would tell Ty to go to hell. I would just tell him if i don't play in #2 or higher, i quit the team.:twisted:

as it says in previous post,at #4 he was 5-3 in a not so tough conference,what is a coach to do? the guy is not delivering the goods ...

Fedace
04-26-2009, 09:02 AM
as it says in previous post,at #4 he was 5-3 in a not so tough conference,what is a coach to do? the guy is not delivering the goods ...

5-3 is a winning record if i am not mistaken... am i right ???

Fedace
04-26-2009, 09:07 AM
And what about our cute Japanese fellow, Uzawa??. He is getting Shafted in my opinion..

Lindsay
04-26-2009, 09:07 AM

Try putting it in perspective. He's still supposed to be in high school. The kid comes to the team after an ankle injury while training in Spain. He comes in mid-year to a top 5 team, with 5 other ranked players. No matter what his USTA ranking, professional ranking is, it takes time to adjust to that type of system. The guys ahead of him have at least a year of top-level collegiate tennis under their belts. Kronauge and Koniecko were both top 10 USTA players just like Buchanan, but have been doing this 3-4 years. Moneke is the same level as K & K. Allare was top 15 TennisRecruiting prospect, a beast of an athlete, and has a year of OSU tennis behind him. Uzawa and Novak are having very good years as well. No one expected Buchanan to come in and play 1, as I predicted, he's doing well at the 4-6 spot. And he's the most solid #6 player in the NCAAs. Tucker didn't need a #1 player, he needed another deep guy, and that's what he got.

And Fedace, your comment to play #1 or leave, just shows you know nothing about how college tennis works.

SoCal10s
04-26-2009, 09:11 AM
5-3 is a winning record if i am not mistaken... am i right ???

it depends who he beat and who he lost to... if he beats a weak player and loses to a player that he should beat then a coach has to make a call .. but playing at 4th-6th is pretty low for a well traveled/ USTA kid .. or maybe this just shows how tough college tennis is compared to Jr. tennis.. but I don't think so seeing some of the Ojai results..

Fedace
04-26-2009, 09:13 AM
^^NO, i said #2 or better, that is #1 or #2... anyway, i still say UZAWA is getting shafted at #6 position. Cmon Chase, file a complaint with the Dean,,,this is matter of Respect... #6 talk about disrespect....

Fedace
04-26-2009, 09:15 AM
it depends who he beat and who he lost to... if he beats a weak player and loses to a player that he should beat then a coach has to make a call .. but playing at 4th-6th is pretty low for a well traveled/ USTA kid .. or maybe this just shows how tough college tennis is compared to Jr. tennis.. but I don't think so seeing some of the Ojai results..

Are you kidding about Ojai ?? Ojai shows me how great of team Stanford has right now. Klahn beats one of the top 3 player in the nation. That pretty much makes him the best player in the nation. and Clayton is right behind him. so pretty much Stanford has the best 2 players in the country right now.:)

Fedace
04-26-2009, 09:19 AM
OK guys, BIG TEN final is going on right now. OSU vs ILLINOIS. i am pulling for an upset win for Illinois.

http://livestats.mgoblue.com/tennis/index-m.shtml

http://www.mgoblue.com/tennis-m/article.aspx?id=173254

SoCal10s
04-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Are you kidding about Ojai ?? Ojai shows me how great of team Stanford has right now. Klahn beats one of the top 3 player in the nation. That pretty much makes him the best player in the nation. and Clayton is right behind him. so pretty much Stanford has the best 2 players in the country right now.:)

that's what i'm saying,rookies are having big success at Ojai ,so Jr. tennis is not weak at all,maybe just Buhcanon.. 2 freshman in the finals... I thought Thacher would do better,he got killed in singles... maybe he's only good in doubles now... he looked like he had troubles covering the court in singles...

Fedace
04-26-2009, 09:36 AM
Thacher didn't do well if he is put in #3 singles or higher. so he wasn't expected to win that match. He just isn't ready yet, he will do better next year at higher spots.

ihearit1st
04-26-2009, 10:04 AM

What a stretch. If Klahn beats the #3, the best you can rationalize is putting him at #2. And Clayton lost in the semis of his conference tournament. So he can't even be top 2 in the PAc10, yet alone the US. Good try.

Fedace
04-26-2009, 10:15 AM
WOW, Surprise. Illinois wins the Doubles point. goes up 1-0. now singles time. Chase should shine once again at #6 but Roelofse fellow from Illinois maybe tougher than we think...lol

Lindsay
04-26-2009, 11:40 AM
WOW, Surprise. Illinois wins the Doubles point. goes up 1-0. now singles time. Chase should shine once again at #6 but Roelofse fellow from Illinois maybe tougher than we think...lol

Buchanan wins easily. And if they could play the whole dual out, it would be 6-1. But it will be 4-1 in about 10 more minutes.

johnkidd
04-26-2009, 05:04 PM

Look at the faclities OSU has and you'd be shocked a top five program plays there. I've played at DIII and NAIA schools that have as nice of facilities as OSU. It's all Tucker, he's keeping the best kids from Ohio in Ohio and the guys buy into his system. To me that's coaching.

chrisplchs
04-27-2009, 08:55 PM
speaking of other top ranked recruits, Jarmere Jenkins committed to UVA, as I said earlier. He told me that he expects to come in and play 1

Fedace
04-27-2009, 08:59 PM
speaking of other top ranked recruits, Jarmere Jenkins committed to UVA, as I said earlier. He told me that he expects to come in and play 1

Is that U of Virginia ??? that will make them almost unbeatable...:evil:

chrisplchs
04-27-2009, 11:30 PM
this was a done deal. i spoke to Jarmere a few weeks back and he told me all that was left was a visit to TAMU but UVA was a clear leader. he also said "they're only losing Dom, which isn't much"

DropShot77
04-28-2009, 12:34 AM
Look at the faclities OSU has and you'd be shocked a top five program plays there. I've played at DIII and NAIA schools that have as nice of facilities as OSU. It's all Tucker, he's keeping the best kids from Ohio in Ohio and the guys buy into his system. To me that's coaching.

Seriously?? You think their Indoor center is Bush League?

ihearit1st
04-28-2009, 07:51 AM

Yea I played osu in it and the lighting is awful, walls too close in, and not enough courts.

OleNole
04-28-2009, 08:14 AM
this was a done deal. i spoke to Jarmere a few weeks back and he told me all that was left was a visit to TAMU but UVA was a clear leader. he also said "they're only losing Dom, which isn't much"

Wow. I just lost a lot of respect for Jarmere Jenkins. UVa has 5 of its top 6 coming back; that he thinks he can immediately step into the 1 line at a top 5 program shows (to me) that he's ignorant of the level of top college talent.

At the same time, if he can play 1 from day one great for him. It is not unprecedented, though in my admittedly under-informed opinion it is extremely unlikely. I'm sure others will like his confidence, which of course is necessary to become a top player. It just rubs me the wrong way.

ClarkC
04-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Wow. I just lost a lot of respect for Jarmere Jenkins. UVa has 5 of its top 6 coming back; that he thinks he can immediately step into the 1 line at a top 5 program shows (to me) that he's ignorant of the level of top college talent.

At the same time, if he can play 1 from day one great for him. It is not unprecedented, though in my admittedly under-informed opinion it is extremely unlikely. I'm sure others will like his confidence, which of course is necessary to become a top player. It just rubs me the wrong way.

Ditto. We are happy to have him come here. But #3 spot as a freshman would be a realistic prediction.

Fedace
04-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Ditto. We are happy to have him come here. But #3 spot as a freshman would be a realistic prediction.

Glad to see, Jarmere picked the best party school in america to showcase his talents. but next year Stanford will be the Team to beat.:)

ihearit1st
04-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Glad to see, Jarmere picked the best party school in america to showcase his talents. but next year Stanford will be the Team to beat.:)

STanford drops to #2. While Stanford signed good national players, UVA is only losing 1 player and gained 3 phenomenal INTERNATIONAL level players.

10isplayer
04-28-2009, 07:04 PM
^^
have to agree with this one virginia got easily the best class this year. Jenkins and Urigen are two studs and the kid from Hong Kong is pretty good as well.

ihearit1st
04-28-2009, 07:07 PM
^^
have to agree with this one virginia got easily the best class this year. Jenkins and Urigen are two studs and the kid from Hong Kong is pretty good as well.

yea, none of the 3 stanford kids broke the top 100 itf i don't think. all 3 virginia players were top 100, 2 were top 20.

Fedace
04-28-2009, 07:18 PM
STanford drops to #2. While Stanford signed good national players, UVA is only losing 1 player and gained 3 phenomenal INTERNATIONAL level players.

IN that case, Coach Whit will have to do some real coaching, i guess. while Virginia is just putting up bunch of international rent a players...:???:

ihearit1st
04-28-2009, 07:37 PM
IN that case, Coach Whit will have to do some real coaching, i guess. while Virginia is just putting up bunch of international rent a players...:???:

someone here can't read. any guesses to who i'm talking about? i said "international-level", not "international." andy roddick is international-level, though he's american. jenkins is also american. one of the other players has been training in the us for a while. yes, there is a complete foreigner, some kid from asia i believe.

i think its funny that when uva brings in good players, its "rent a player". when osu brings in chase buchanan, its "rent a player". but when stanford signs someone, its completely fair game. funny how that works in the mind of a deranged fan.

chrisplchs
04-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Actually Jenkins might not enroll until January. I feel like something about academics might deter him from starting in the fall.

The ACC will be really good next year. FSU returns Aubone, Vahid and Bowles, a very solid nucleus. Duke loses Kiril but I hear they are adding Perieria from Brazil, top ITF junior. Duke would have been even nastier if Frank Carleton went there but my sources told me his academics weren't good enough.

As for Jarmere Jenkins, he might not crack the line up. He'll get overpowered by everybody except maybe #6. If he plays higher than 4, I'll be surprised

carhi1814
04-28-2009, 08:04 PM
is there a channel to watch college tennis players play???

Fedace
04-28-2009, 08:07 PM
someone here can't read. any guesses to who i'm talking about? i said "international-level", not "international." andy roddick is international-level, though he's american. jenkins is also american. one of the other players has been training in the us for a while. yes, there is a complete foreigner, some kid from asia i believe.

i think its funny that when uva brings in good players, its "rent a player". when osu brings in chase buchanan, its "rent a player". but when stanford signs someone, its completely fair game. funny how that works in the mind of a deranged fan.

In that case, i guess you missed all those players from India ??:(

ClarkC
04-28-2009, 08:11 PM
In that case, i guess you missed all those players from India ??:(

UVa's international players stay 4 years and get college degrees. How does the phrase "rent-a-player" apply?

ClarkC
04-28-2009, 08:12 PM

Who rates Virginia the best party school in America?

johnkidd
04-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Just found out they opened a new indoor facility last November:

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=87783&SPID=10415&DB_OEM_ID=17300&ATCLID=1374025

But I will say it's been a long time coming and before that they played in a glorified airplane hanger.

Fedace
04-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Who rates Virginia the best party school in America?

I think Newsweek magazine. Party ON Jarmere...:)

goober
04-28-2009, 10:30 PM
:roll::roll::roll:

ClarkC
04-29-2009, 05:38 AM

Provide the link.

goober
04-29-2009, 06:07 AM
Provide the link.

hah I see you are from VA. Of course there is no link. Newsweek is not the magazine that does those college lists and rankings.

Being from Virgina, you already know UVA is one of the top public schools academically in the nation. It regularly is in the top 10, if not top 5, for public universities according to almost anybody's rankings. It hardly has a national reputation as a party school although I am sure there are parties going on there:) Even within the state of VA, JMU and W & L are probably bigger party schools than UVA.

This is just another case of Feddie having no idea what he is talking about and making something up and posting it.

ihearit1st
04-29-2009, 06:19 AM
hah I see you are from VA. Of course there is no link. Newsweek is not the magazine that does those college lists and rankings.

Being from Virgina, you already know UVA is one of the top public schools academically in the nation. It regularly is in the top 10, if not top 5, for public universities according to almost anybody's rankings. It hardly has a national reputation as a party school although I am sure there are parties going on there:) Even within the state of VA, JMU and W & L are probably bigger party schools than UVA.

This is just another case of Feddie having no idea what he is talking about and making something up and posting it.

He's a moron. Newsweek doesn't do a list. Princeton Review does, and Newsweek sometimes posts the results. Anyway, UVA wasn't in the top 10. It was schools like Florida, Mississippi, Ohio U, West Virginia.... I don't know where he comes up with stuff. I think he has a hat filled with random comments, and every morning he pulls one out.

Fedace
04-29-2009, 06:55 AM
He's a moron. Newsweek doesn't do a list. Princeton Review does, and Newsweek sometimes posts the results. Anyway, UVA wasn't in the top 10. It was schools like Florida, Mississippi, Ohio U, West Virginia.... I don't know where he comes up with stuff. I think he has a hat filled with random comments, and every morning he pulls one out.

LOL. then what exactly was Virginia #1 of in your opinion ? I don't think it is academics.:shock:

ClarkC
04-29-2009, 07:03 AM
LOL. then what exactly was Virginia #1 of in your opinion ? I don't think it is academics.:shock:

In the last 10 years, when the college academic rankings come out, pretty much the whole top 20 are private schools. About the 18-24 range you see the first few public universities. Cal-Berkeley, Virginia, North Carolina have generally been tops, and the order has varied. Some years Virginia has been the top public, although Cal has been tops for about 3-4 years in a row now, I believe.

Fedace
04-29-2009, 07:07 AM
In the last 10 years, when the college academic rankings come out, pretty much the whole top 20 are private schools. About the 18-24 range you see the first few public universities. Cal-Berkeley, Virginia, North Carolina have generally been tops, and the order has varied. Some years Virginia has been the top public, although Cal has been tops for about 3-4 years in a row now, I believe.

What about UCLA or Univ of Illinois ? they are considered to be the better college by many.

goober
04-29-2009, 07:11 AM
What about UCLA or Univ of Illinois ? they are considered to be the better college by many.

UCLA, Michigan and Illinois (less so) are all regularly in the top 5-10 in varying order depending on publication. But it still doesn't change the fact that you post stuff and you have no clue.