PDA

View Full Version : i suxors

pandal3oy
03-25-2009, 12:26 PM
i guess it was just one of those moments when u had to be there but yes i should have never came on here to complain.

5 people, 4 of whom i did not know came up to me at the end and said he cheated on crucial points so that was not me complaining. i lost and thats all that matters. no one will remember the match but only see the score itself.

i am actually a sectional umpire from another state. ever since i moved here it seemed like a norm for people to call over umpires for 3rd set tie breaks. there were no other courts on our side playing and the umpire was just picking up trash so i just asked him so he didnt go out of his way. people call me over all the time to keep their tie breaker scores.

Joeyg
03-25-2009, 12:44 PM
And the bus was late, and the dog ate my homework, and I didn't have any clean clothes, and the sun was in my eyes, and my allergies were acting up, and I don't like playing pushers, etc.

WHAT A LOAD!!!

blakesq
03-25-2009, 01:46 PM
Can you squeeze anymore excuses in there Chucky?

well i told myself i would never play another tournament since the last one i played in november of last year. i would go support my friend instead and people that have seen me around ask me y i dont play. i tell them "people cheat so ide rather just watch." i always thought it was just in my head but finally in 2 weeks ago i decided what the heck ill play another one.

i just got out of work and they decided to schedule the match at 6pm so i had to rush over. so im warming up with my opponent. obvious weakness was his backhand. he couldnt even hit over it and kept spraying it when he tried so i expected him to slice the whole match. i thought to myself "wow this will be easy." i was so tired from work and i skipped lunch that day because i was so busy (stupid excuse i know) and i could barely move the first set. i was so stiff from work. i am always a slow starter so that was a stupid excuse. i told myself "eh its ok ill just win the 2nd set." there were many times in the first set that had crucial points, either me having break point or me holding serve and the ball would miraculously be called out. i know my own shots and i hit with heavy topspin and it always spins in at that last second. he seemed to call the ball out half a second before it hit the court. several times i stared at him and did not say anything and he just turned around and looked away. i lost the first set to him 6-1.

i was actually a little angry i lost to him and at 6-1! it was about an hour long first set because of all those break chances/ deuces in the games that ended up going his way. i came back and won the second set 6-2 pretty quickly hoping to grind him out the 3rd set. little did i know it was a 10 point tie-breaker in lieu of the 3rd set. yuck.

i purposely called over the umpire for the 10 point tie-breaker to keep score. the 3rd point of the tie-breaker i hit a ball that tipped the net and rolled onto his side. i wasnt really noticing but after the match 2 people told me that the umpire accidentally gave that point to my opponent. i told them "oh no wonder y he asked me to repeat the score." well he didnt have the courtesy to tell the umpire that he flipped the wrong point over. the 2 people said they were flapping their arms and said the umpire was stupid for not realizing he gave the point away. well i guess i was stupid too. i lost the tie-breaker 10-8.

well when we finished my opponent pretty much dashed off without waiting for me or talking to me which was kinda mean. as i walked back upstairs my friend that was watching said he took that point from me in the tie-breaker. i said i kinda thought so but i thought maybe i saw it wrong but he should have still said something cuz i realized he knew when he asked me to repeat the score. there were 4-5 other people i didnt know that watched and all said the same thing. they said he made alot of "questionable calls." these were people who i didnt even know but they said i was a good player and liked watching me play. as these people tell me he was cheating, that guy was actually getting water at the fountain. i said really loud "i dont care. the match is over and it doesnt matter anymore."

to conclude i always thought it was in my mind that people call alot of my shots out. i hit with heavy topspin that more than often skids directly on the baseline. the umpire was no help in watching the balls nor the score. the people that watched me felt bad for me. i felt bad for myself that i lost the first set to him to begin with. stupid excuses aside that is y i hate playing in these tournaments. there was nothing in his game that hurt me but i lost because i let him get to me. i should have won the first set no matter how tired or hungry i was but what i cant change are the bad calls he made. listening to the strangers watching made me realize i wasnt crazy after all. i dont know when the next time i will want to ever play again.

dwhiteside
03-25-2009, 01:48 PM
You got defeated, plain and simple. Either get better or quit tennis.

pandal3oy
03-25-2009, 02:26 PM
wow arent we all cranky today haha.

just felt like sharing a story about how its hard to play against people who calls close balls out to win.

Joeyg
03-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Or a cautionary tale of someone who throws around excuses to lose.

Aldi Patron
03-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Well...at least you used paragraphs. There's always that.

Geezer Guy
03-25-2009, 05:08 PM
You were cruzing in the second set. You should have rushed straight through the TB without changing a thing.
But, you got cute, went and found an umpire, had him keep score (and then didn't pay attention), and blew your momentum.

JavierLW
03-25-2009, 05:23 PM
wow arent we all cranky today haha.

just felt like sharing a story about how its hard to play against people who calls close balls out to win.

Yes that's true, but it happens to all sorts of people.

The problem isnt that you had an issue with it.

The problem is that it happens so much that we hear about it all the time....

It's just not good reading to hear someone cry and whine about something no matter how legitimate it is. Are we supposed to feel sorry for you? Why?

That's just life, it's supposed to be an honorable game, but some people are not honorable so all you can really do is think less of them.

Also Im not sure why you called an umpire over to keep score. I dont think they normally do that, they are not your servants.

If your intention is to make sure the right score is kept track of then take some responsibility and keep on top of it yourself.

That is WHY he probably insisted that you repeat the score. It's not any different then when there is no official and your opponent calls out the wrong score, you have to realize it and correct it when it occurs.

Also Im not sure if you know this but they are not there to correct bad calls either. You can ask them if the ball was out (if your opponent called it), but otherwise they are not allowed to say anything.

They are not a chair umpire or anything because we're not on TV....

Most of us are not playing on TV so it's normal that we keep track of our own score.

I wont blame you for making all excuses though. At least you realize that blew it in the first set. It sounds more to me that if you would of taken the time to better prepare yourself for the match and maybe you had the mental jitters that didnt allow you to perform your best at the critital point in those games. (along with frustration over the calls of course)

I think if you work on the things you can control and look at it from a performance perspective you'll find that it's a lot more fun.

pandal3oy
03-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Yes that's true, but it happens to all sorts of people.

The problem isnt that you had an issue with it.

The problem is that it happens so much that we hear about it all the time....

It's just not good reading to hear someone cry and whine about something no matter how legitimate it is. Are we supposed to feel sorry for you? Why?

That's just life, it's supposed to be an honorable game, but some people are not honorable so all you can really do is think less of them.

Also Im not sure why you called an umpire over to keep score. I dont think they normally do that, they are not your servants.

If your intention is to make sure the right score is kept track of then take some responsibility and keep on top of it yourself.

That is WHY he probably insisted that you repeat the score. It's not any different then when there is no official and your opponent calls out the wrong score, you have to realize it and correct it when it occurs.

Also Im not sure if you know this but they are not there to correct bad calls either. You can ask them if the ball was out (if your opponent called it), but otherwise they are not allowed to say anything.

They are not a chair umpire or anything because we're not on TV....

Most of us are not playing on TV so it's normal that we keep track of our own score.

I wont blame you for making all excuses though. At least you realize that blew it in the first set. It sounds more to me that if you would of taken the time to better prepare yourself for the match and maybe you had the mental jitters that didnt allow you to perform your best at the critital point in those games. (along with frustration over the calls of course)

I think if you work on the things you can control and look at it from a performance perspective you'll find that it's a lot more fun.

haha nah i dont want anyone to feel sorry for me. i actually had fun in the match. the people who watched me were frustrated for me and i didnt even know them hahaha. i was the one who told them the match was over and nothing can be done. i told my friend i was proud of myself cuz i came to the net more than i ever did and played pretty well.

i just know in the long run the guy i played wont get any better if he keeps making bad line calls. actually one of the guys watching was scouting our match cuz he was gonna play one of us next. he was one of the guys that pointed out he made bad calls too. he was like "im going to destroy him for u." lol i thought that was funny cuz he was mad for me. i thought it was pretty cool of him to back me up and i had no clue who he was. he beat him in straight sets the next round.

im always pretty positive. the match was over and i left it at that. i was proud of myself how i played the 2nd set.

thanks everyone. time to close the thread!

ssgator80
03-26-2009, 08:13 AM
Chriss - is that you. Sounds just like a guy I know who plays tournaments in Fla. Problem is he gets beat, then blames everything else, even calls guys cheaters. Every guy is going to miss a call now and then. I not losing a match over one bad call or even 5 calls. If I see he is calling close - just take something off put them well within lines and kick his ***.

JLyon
03-26-2009, 08:31 AM
You were cruzing in the second set. You should have rushed straight through the TB without changing a thing.
But, you got cute, went and found an umpire, had him keep score (and then didn't pay attention), and blew your momentum.

As an umpire that is the mistake he made, umpires when called onto court do not keep the score for the players, but rather in their heads in case a dispute occurs or reminding them to change sides at appropirate time. The umpire should be asking players to call scores in order to confirm correct or incorrect score.

In regards to Javier about Umpires not correcting calls unless verbally appealed, that is incorrect. An umpire once on court or even roving can automatically correct calls if clearly seen, without a verbal appeal, as long as it is a USTA match

JavierLW
03-26-2009, 09:01 AM
As an umpire that is the mistake he made, umpires when called onto court do not keep the score for the players, but rather in their heads in case a dispute occurs or reminding them to change sides at appropirate time. The umpire should be asking players to call scores in order to confirm correct or incorrect score.

In regards to Javier about Umpires not correcting calls unless verbally appealed, that is incorrect. An umpire once on court or even roving can automatically correct calls if clearly seen, without a verbal appeal, as long as it is a USTA match

Okay but does that mean someone has a right to get all over some umpire's case if they dont correct a call? (I assume in a lot of cases unless it's obvious they'd have to give the player making the call the benefit of the doubt)

Or maybe if they are obviously calling it early they can at least say something about that?

I guess my point was to not add the umpire into this whole emotional explanation about how the whole world was against him that day, and the score was called wrong, and there were bad calls, and his shoelace was untied, etc, etc......

After all, he's the one who choose to go get an umpire when like GG said, he was easily cruzing thru the 2nd set.

That's a classic mistake. (as well as apparantly not paying attention to what the scoring format was before the match which can cause more of a distraction)

That's something I struggle with sometimes as well.

Nobody want's to get taken advantage of so you want to take extra steps to avoid that, however you can break your momentum and distract yourself from being able to perform if you go too far.

Geezer Guy
03-26-2009, 04:40 PM

I don't know. At Sectionals last fall I was observing a team mates match. A roving official just happened to be walking past their court as they started the 3rd set tiebreak. The official stood at the net, next to the score-card flipper thing, and flipped the numbers after each point. Now, to be honest (and I hadn't thought of it before now) I don't know if he was flipping the cards based on the calls the players made on the court - or if he was flipping the cards based on his judgement of who won the previous point. There weren't any disputes, so nothing came up.

KOPT
03-26-2009, 08:23 PM
oh man,so many exuses,so you lost,so what,so couple points were called wrong,i dont think it was a reason you lost.Why try and find exuse for your loss,maybe you better learn from it?