View Full Version : Dunlop Maxply McEnroe now at TW

TW Staff
03-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Dunlop Maxply McEnroe Racquets 139.00
Info at: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=DMMC

Chris, TW.

NoBadMojo
03-07-2005, 03:22 PM
yikes...fleshtone cosmetics! guess it is to be reminiscent of wood? also high swingweighted for a low static weight...

Colpo
03-07-2005, 03:37 PM
I think it's nice looking, but I agree that it's so hard to make a woodish looking composite racquet look like something other than a novelty. It just looks so different from the blues and reds that most folks swing nowadays. It has some nice touches, like the badged leather grip and yellow/orange/red colorway at the throat, but does it look serious? When Wilson made a similar Kramer frame a couple years ago, they priced it and packaged it as a novelty item not intended for any real use, and that's exactly what they got. Is that desirable? Any ideas from anybody out there as to how to make a current frame based on a throwback without making it look like something you'd put on a wall someplace?

Ash Doyle
03-07-2005, 03:45 PM
I don't see it as a novelty at all. I think it is a very nice looking frame that stands out nicely compared to other current racquets.

joe sch
03-07-2005, 04:40 PM
If Johnny Mac plays it then I think alot of others maybe willing to follow. For anybody familar with the maxply mcenroe woodie, it does have some resemblences. Maybe it will even convince ones mind to play some classic tennis :)

03-07-2005, 04:57 PM
stiffer than I thought it would be.

ragnaROK
03-07-2005, 06:30 PM
ehhh the specs aren't looking too good to me right now... why is it that stiff?

Deuce
03-07-2005, 10:14 PM
The stiffness and overall weight strongly suggest that McEnroe isn't actually using this frame.

BreakPoint
03-07-2005, 11:24 PM
I guess this is just further evidence that pros don't use stock frames.

dennis1188
03-08-2005, 03:05 AM
Maybe, the the racket's Hoop is more 'flexible', as in the original Maxply and the 200G, with the stiffness only in the racket frame's throat. Waiting for a play test to see.

Pushmaster
03-08-2005, 03:15 AM
I don't see any similarities, other that they're both Dunlop's. On paper it looks too light and stiff to even compare to the real Maxply.

phat
03-08-2005, 07:42 AM
If Dunlop can somehow work a deal with Pro Kennex and get to produce a Dunlop's core#1 (woodcore) racquet for Mac. Woodcore in a Maxply McEnroe Racquets seems like something that will get the public to BELIEVE Mac is actually using it.

joe sch
03-08-2005, 07:53 AM
Maybe, the the racket's Hoop is more 'flexible', as in the original Maxply and the 200G, with the stiffness only in the racket frame's throat. Waiting for a play test to see.
That would be a very good idea as would be adding graphite fill injection as the original max 200g graphites had. Unfortunately, all molds and compositions seem to be made uniform these days using the standard hypercarbon graphite stiff and light mix.

joe sch
03-08-2005, 07:56 AM
If Dunlop can somehow work a deal with Pro Kennex and get to produce a Dunlop's core#1 (woodcore) racquet for Mac. Woodcore in a Maxply McEnroe Racquets seems like something that will get the public to BELIEVE Mac is actually using it.
This is the other alternative to graphite fill injection that would really help give the racket some feel and dampen the shock. Probably the best we can hope for is seeing Mac use a picasso of this new endorsement

bamboo
03-08-2005, 08:34 AM
The stiffness and overall weight strongly suggest that McEnroe isn't actually using this frame.
Tennis in late 2000 did an article which I did not save and they have not archived on their site about the customization of JMac's C-10 - he was with Volkl at the time. It ended up weighing 12.9 oz. and balancing 10pts. headlight.