PDA

View Full Version : Zvonareva pronunciation help

martini1
03-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Anybody speaks Russian? How do u pronounce Vera's last name?

Is it like "Zonareva" or "Vonareva" or something else?

CyBorg
03-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Zvonaryova.

martini1
03-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Dude spelling it out in Russian is not gonna help me on how to pronounce it. Could u spell it out phonetically in simple english?

i.e. Djokovic - "Jo-ko-vich"

dantespark33
03-25-2009, 07:29 PM
isnt it just like zu-von-er-re-va?

OliverSimon
03-25-2009, 07:31 PM
im russian its Zz-van-o-riova

Blinkism
03-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Zvonaryova.

Z'vO'nA'rjO'va
The "vo" in her name is pronounced like the first sound in the word "vote", and the last "e" in her surname is pronounced as a long O (as in the word "Long").

The surname is composed of three parts, I think, but you would wouldn't pause between them.

Zvon-a-reva.

Blinkism
03-25-2009, 07:37 PM
i.e. Djokovic - "Jo-ko-vich"

Not quite.

Try reading the word "Djordje" and try to hear the sound you make when you combine D and J. It should be somewhere between a G (as in George) and Zh (as in Dr.Zhivago). If I had to spell out the sound I guess it'd be Dzh, then oko (as in the spanish "loco"), vee (as in a "v-neck sweater), and ovich (as in .... Ivanisevic)

And the surname would be broken up in two ways; Djoko-vic, and not Djo-ko-vic.

Yugoslavian surnames can get trick sometimes!

oneguy21
03-25-2009, 07:42 PM
just sound it out Zevon eh reyvuh

theduh
03-26-2009, 07:33 AM
just sound it out Zevon eh reyvuh

Close! From WTA:

pronounced: zvon-a-RAY-vuh

If you can't still pronounce it just say Vera :)

tudwell
03-26-2009, 07:50 AM
That letter in Russian Cyrillic looks similar to our "e" (and in fact they have a letter identical to it, pronounced "yeh" (as in "yet")) but it in fact is supposed to be written with a diaeresis above the "e": . This letter is pronounced "yoh". And don't make the "z" and the "v" into two different syllables. That's a weird consonant cluster for native English speakers, but just try to shove both of them together. "Zvo" not "Zuh-vo".