PDA

View Full Version : The 2003 US Open semi "controversy"

Arafel
03-25-2009, 05:37 PM
So, in reading around these boards a lot, I often will see someone post about how David Nalbandian was robbed in the 2003 US Open semi by a bad call and would surely have beaten Andy Roddick in that match if not for a bad call that handed the match to Roddick. I stopped following tennis for a while when Connors retired, and didn't start playing again till 2004. The first match I saw was the 2004 Wimbledon final, and I've liked Roddick ever since.

Point being, I hadn't seen the 2003 US Open. So, after reading all these posts about how Nalby was robbed, I decided to Google it, read a little about the supposed bad call, then watched the third set tiebreak on You Tube.

Anybody who thinks Nalby was robbed is drinking serious Kool Aid. Admittedly, the fan screaming out may have been distracting, but frankly, they did that after the bounce and before Roddick hit it back. If that call should have affected anyone, it was Andy, but he kept playing. Nalby was the one who let it get to him.

I used to see that happen a lot in the 80s in matches with Borg, Connors, Lendl and McEnroe at the US Open, and they knew enough to keep playing.

Furthermore, Nalby didn't lose the tiebreak on that one point. The man was up 3-0 and 4-2 in that tiebreaker and played a couple of careless points that let Roddick get back in it. With his confidence bolstered, Roddick started firing aces and service winners. By the match point, it was clear Roddick was the aggressor and more in control. I think that is further proved because Roddick won the fourth set 6-1.

Bottom line, Nalbandian wasn't robbed; he blew it, just like he blew the French in 2004 and has blown countless other Slam matches. The guy has talent, but he isn't a champion.

ESP#1
03-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Ima big Nalby fan but the truth is he had plenty of chances to win that match, could that call have change the outcome? its possible, but regardless he was not robbed.

FD3S
03-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Anybody who thinks Nalby was robbed is drinking serious Kool Aid. Admittedly, the fan screaming out may have been distracting, but frankly, they did that after the bounce and before Roddick hit it back. If that call should have affected anyone, it was Andy, but he kept playing. Nalby was the one who let it get to him.

This. How the hell people manage to spin this against Roddick is beyond me, b/c if anyone should have been distracted, it was him. Nalbandian really had no excuse.

VivalaVida
03-25-2009, 06:05 PM
Agreed, Andy Roddick's win at the US open was 100 percent legit.

Beasty54
03-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Bottom line, Nalbandian wasn't robbed; he blew it, just like he blew the French in 2004 and has blown countless other Slam matches. The guy has talent, but he isn't a champion.

Wholeheartedly agree. I think Djokovic may be the same way.

MajinX
03-25-2009, 08:17 PM
i just watched it too coz of this thread and yea... u cant say that one call that wasnt even official while roddick was returning stole the 03 title...

himynameisNIKE
03-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Agreed, Andy Roddick's win at the US open was 100 percent legit.

agreed.

(10 char)

380pistol
03-25-2009, 09:53 PM
A lot of people here need to come to this thread, read and absorb.

I'm not even a fan of Roddick but why isn't the overrule at 4-4 in the 5th set of the 2001 US Open QF ever mentioned??? Hhhhhhhmmmmmmm...........

RCizzle65
03-25-2009, 10:49 PM
A lot of people here need to come to this thread, read and absorb.

I'm not even a fan of Roddick but why isn't the overrule at 4-4 in the 5th set of the 2001 US Open QF ever mentioned??? Hhhhhhhmmmmmmm...........

This one? It was 4-5 on Roddick's serve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sr3A10qZkE

Gen
03-25-2009, 10:56 PM
No, Roddick didn't win that match fair and square. See the whole match rather than 1 set, and you'll find out that throughout the match the linesmen were playing together with Roddick, and the umpire was blind and deaf. Just another case when Americans wanted a win and bought it illegitimately. BTW I'm not Argentinian. Simply for me it is one of the two most disgraceful and dishonest matches in the current history of tennis.

MajinX
03-25-2009, 11:08 PM
No, Roddick didn't win that match fair and square. See the whole match rather than 1 set, and you'll find out that throughout the match the linesmen were playing together with Roddick, and the umpire was blind and deaf. Just another case when Americans wanted a win and bought it illegitimately. BTW I'm not Argentinian. Simply for me it is one of the two most disgraceful and dishonest matches in the current history of tennis.

being argentinian shouldnt have anything to do with it.... but i didnt watch the match but did nalbandian not complain at all with all the bad line calls then? im sure in a 5 set match he woulda complained the hell out of umpire if sooo many bad line calls were made against him on purpose because its the uso..

Feņa14
03-25-2009, 11:28 PM
I saw the whole match live and some of the calls were shocking to be fair.

iriraz
03-26-2009, 12:27 AM
The best decision would have been in that tiebreak when that crazy guy yelled the ball out to stop the point and replay it.The third set was key for the match and Nalbandian lost not only the set but also the whole momentum with it.

380pistol
03-26-2009, 09:37 AM

Stop it. Nalbandian was up 2 sets, even had a match point with all that "cheating". He had his chances but didn't capitalize. Even the OP stated that scream should have effected Roddick more than Nalbandian.

grafselesfan
03-26-2009, 09:42 AM
I agree with Arafel completely here.

woodrow1029
03-26-2009, 09:57 AM
The best decision would have been in that tiebreak when that crazy guy yelled the ball out to stop the point and replay it.The third set was key for the match and Nalbandian lost not only the set but also the whole momentum with it.
Can't replay the point for spectator noises.

deltox
03-26-2009, 10:06 AM

bought a win??? are you serious. thats some harsh accusations. this isnt boxing or college sports my friend.

edmondsm
03-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Also a big Nalbandian fan. THE MAN WAS ROBBED!!! Only joking. Roddick deserved that win. If you can't finish, then you don't deserve the win. As we saw in IW, Nalbandian has an issue with finishing.

deltox
Can't replay the point for spectator noises.

i think as represented by this match and the WS at IW. spectators who make loud noises on purpose should be handled more harshly to detour others from thinking its ok.

im not sure what CAN be done but something needs to be done to these "fans", who obviously arent fans of the sport.

that being said, heckling a player you dislike on practice courts is perfectly ok.

*innocent whistle*

gj011
Disagree with OP and agree with Gen. It was blatant daylight robbery. Roddick should be ashamed of this win. He never deserved a slam title.

woodrow1029
03-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Disagree with OP and agree with Gen.
you would..

deltox
03-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Disagree with OP and agree with Gen. It was blatant daylight robbery. Roddick should be ashamed of this win. He never deserved a slam title.

im gonna go out on a limb and guess that you,, gulp, dont like andy roddick? i know its a long shot guess but..

FD3S
03-26-2009, 11:04 AM

Why? I'm honestly curious about your reasoning here, b/c part of me wonders whether you have solid logic (as in some of your posts defending Djokovic), or if this is just another crack against Andy made on principle because you think he's a classless jerk.

tintin
03-26-2009, 11:06 AM
he was given that USO,that's all!

FD3S
03-26-2009, 11:08 AM

Yeah. Thanks to Nalbandian and his UE's, not a screaming idiot in the crowd.

OJ ROD
03-26-2009, 11:59 AM
It was in Nalbandian's hands, if he would handled that moment better, he probably would've won the match right in that set. He's a much better player than Roddick, and he was playing pretty well that day. He just became distracted from the task at hand.

I think people spin this as "stolen" because most people have more respect for Nalbandian than for Roddick. Granted, neither are exemplary people, but at least Nalbandian is not as, well, an *******.(sorry tried to find a more civil word but i'm running out of time). Yeah, Nalbandian can be in your face sometimes but it's more cultural than anything. To some people he might seem like he's overreacting but that's just his calm reaction, he's not trying to intimidate or harrass, if he really was, you'd know.

abmk
03-26-2009, 12:14 PM
totally agree with the OP

roddickfan90
03-26-2009, 01:06 PM
so wat if nalbandian was robbed

wimbledon 2004 - roddick was robbed (rain)
US open 2002 - idiotic call against hewitt

things happen get over it

BorisBeckerFan
03-26-2009, 01:16 PM
I think it would have needed to far more blatant to constitute him being robbed of the match. That being said, some points maybe of higher significance but every point counts.

tangerine
03-26-2009, 02:04 PM
100% correct. It's just like the USTA to hand Federer five USO titles in a row over homeboy Roddick.

egn
03-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Have Hewitt hand back his 2001 US Open trophy than to Roddick there was robbery also stop hating Roddick so much and get over the fact that he won a slam.

l_gonzalez
03-26-2009, 02:45 PM

Wholeheartedly agree. I think Djokovic may be the same way.

That's a little harsh. Djokovic stepped up and won the Aussie Open, has won several Masters Series titles and has kept himself in the top 3 for a while. Ok, he might not be a Federer or Nadal kind of champion but he is definitely on a higher level in terms of mentality than Nalbandian. Djokovic has hit a rough patch lately, and even so, he still manages to win the vast majority of the matches that he SHOULD win... something that certainly can't be said of Nalbandian's career so far.

Nalbandian: 27 years old, 10 titles from 20 finals. 2 Masters Series and a Tennis Masters Cup.

Djokovic: 21 years old, 12 titles from 18 finals. 4 Masters Series, Tennis Masters Cup and Aussie Open.

I'm not a fanboy or a hater, these are just facts.

Joseph L. Barrow
03-26-2009, 08:14 PM
The audience-member shout thing is a ridiculous excuse. Some people go farther and claim that there was a systematic bias in Roddick's favor that gave him unfair line calls at crucial moments. I believe this, too, is highly exaggerated; there were instances where the ball was very close to the line and Nalbandian disagreed with the call, but we're not talking Williams-Capriati, here.

Kaptain Karl
03-30-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm with Arafel.

I think a lot of the "controversy" is rooted in how so many fans thought that was "Nalby's year." They allowed their hope and fanaticism to overcome their reason.

Roddick won. Deal with it.

- KK

380pistol
03-30-2009, 10:06 PM

Please explain this blatant robbery to me.

tangerine
08-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Roddick/Nalbandian semi is on ESPN Classic right now. It pretty much proves the OP right on every point. :)

clayman2000
08-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Like I said in another post, even if Nalby somehow wins that match.... it doesnt mean Roddick would be a 0 time slam winner. Nalby could gain momentum, take out Fed at the AO, and then JCF would win. Then Roddick stays no 1 and JCF is no 2. Then maybe Roddick wins Wimby 04, and maybe doesnt develop his paranoia with beating Fed in 04 - 05. Then maybe he losses less to the Mullers and Johansens.

Either way the anti-Roddick argument is weak. Especially when people say Roddick is lucky to have won the USO. I mean he only won the 2 Masters before that

Commando Tennis Shorts
08-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Roddick/Nalbandian semi is on ESPN Classic right now. It pretty much proves the OP right on every point. :)

Agreed. Just watched it on YouTube for the first time since it happened. If anything, the shouting should've screwed up Roddick, but it didn't. Instead, it screwed up Nalbandian. It was equal-opportunity screwage, but Roddick didn't blink. There's no way anyone can (a) blame Roddick for this, or (b) use it as an example of why Roddick's Slam title supposedly is not legitimate.

AJK1
08-30-2009, 10:22 PM
so wat if nalbandian was robbed

wimbledon 2004 - roddick was robbed (rain)
US open 2002 - idiotic call against hewitt

things happen get over it

Huh? It rained on Federer too !!

Feds and Rods have played 3 wimby finals and Feds has won each time, he's just better, get over it!

Michael Bluth
08-30-2009, 10:25 PM
This is one of the most ridiculous complaints ever.

Nalbandian was up a minibreak in the tiebreak and gave it back with his own unforced errors. I've also seen players play through yelling plenty of times in the pros.

I just don't get him sometimes. Why did he lose in straights to Gaudio in 04? Why, in the 03 AO, after playing a great match to beat Fed, did he go out to Schuttler in the next round? He had a great chance to get to the final that year if he had won that match, since he would have been facing a Roddick who was tired from his epic against El Ayanoui.

shawn1122
08-30-2009, 11:48 PM
I'm not really with the OP. The reason Andy was not screwed was because he was already prepared and committed to hit the ball, and thats what he did regardless of the call. Also, the linesperson calling that line would be directly behind him so he is in better position to hear if the call came from the crowd or not.

For Nalbandian, if the call was made by a fan around where the line person is, it would be harder for him to tell the difference between a fan calling and the linesperson. still, even if he had a little doubt in his mind he should have kept playing. but perhaps he was quite certain that the call was legit.

In all, I think Nalabandian was kind of screwed out of that set and that point. The rest of the match is completely his fault and something he has to live with.

The guy who said that should have been kicked out immediately. I understand that while you watch live tennis you get the urge to call out sometimes when you think the ball is going out. I have said it out loud during matches too accidently. But there is no fricken need to yell it, that just makes no sense to me whatsoever, and there should be no tolerance for that. Send the guy home and let him watch the match on TV while he thinks about how stupid he was in that moment.