PDA

View Full Version : smaller grips

devilish_duke
03-07-2005, 03:59 PM
If I use a smaller grip than is suited for my hand, does that afford me more control or something? What about vice versa, using a larger grip than my hand is suited for?

LittleMAC
03-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Smaller grips generally give you more spin. I like to serve better with a smaller grip. Larger grips seem to be better for flatter strokes and hard harder to generage spin, especially on serves. Larger grips don't tourque as much. I guess it's all on preference... This is my opinion.

Prince_of_Tennis
03-07-2005, 06:39 PM
I use the prostaff tour 90 and I first played with the leather+over grip then took off the leather over grip+ over grip. I started to get tennis elbow and my middle finger started to pop. It was difficult to make fists until my hand was warmed up. The vibration was killing my arm so I put back on the leather. I don't see how the smaller grip makes more spin?!?! Could you explain that one to me. The reason I took it off was so I could switch to my one hand backhand faster. Yes preference! This guy at the park I play at has Leather+replacement grip+over grip very big grip.

bee
03-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Smaller grips produce more spin for players who are somewhat wristy with their strokes. Most books and instructors caution against too much wrist movement on ground strokes but a lot of us do use a certain degree of wrist action on our shots for producing power and cut on the ball...and more spin. Slightly smaller grips are easier to move with the hand and wrist. This is paricularly true on the serve, which is obviously a very wristy motion.

AJP
03-13-2005, 06:26 PM
It's my opinion that larger grips offer more stability and control. There is less twist on off center hits.

Also, if the logic goes:

smaller grip = a more wristy stroke action

then...

bigger grip should = less wristy stroke action

Perhaps less wristy acceleration into the hit aids in control (but hinders spin & power).

tennisnj
03-13-2005, 06:33 PM
The larger the grip for me, the more wrist & arm pain & racquet torque. I know, lol, I'm weird, but, you have to go w/what feels right & works for you, regardless of what the 'so-called experts' say.