PDA

View Full Version : Would Sampras be a good Coach for Federer

BorisBeckerFan
03-26-2009, 05:56 AM
I highly doubt that Pete is interested in coaching anyone or even if he would be a good coach. But if Pete is good coach and had an interest would he be a good fit for Fed? Pete is the only person who can relate to success Roger has had and also slumped a little after the long reign at the top. I am not sure if he would or wouldn't be a good coach for Fed but I am interested in seeing what the forum members think?

deltox
03-26-2009, 07:46 AM
great superstars traditionally dont make good coaches. usually those with less natural athletic talent are the best coaches because they spent their career focusing on small things to tweak their game for competition value. the greats skip many training steps in the middle as it comes naturally for them.

wangs78
03-26-2009, 09:26 AM
great superstars traditionally dont make good coaches. usually those with less natural athletic talent are the best coaches because they spent their career focusing on small things to tweak their game for competition value. the greats skip many training steps in the middle as it comes naturally for them.

The counterargument to that is that Fed doesn't really need a coach to help him with tactics. He needs someone to help him build confidence. I think Pete can do that. And Pete, with his 14 GS titles, has instant respect from Federer. But I don't think Pete would be interested.

I actually asked this question a little over a year ago, after Fed and Roche parted ways. Too lazy to dig up the old post though...

wangs78
03-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Actually, here's the link.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=178721

JamaicanYoute
03-26-2009, 10:20 AM
I don't think so.

Pete is by far my favorite player. Always will be. But I don't think he'd make that great a coach. With that said, I think Andre would make a great coach. The few times I've heard him commenting on a player, or during a match, he seems to really have good insight and a clear understanding of the game.

I think Federer has a great respect for him and vice versa. I dont think Andre would be interested in leaving what he's doing in his life now to go and travel again full time. But if I were Federer and wanted opinions, I would go to as many people as I could, and Andre would be one of the first on the list.

Matt

TheTruth
03-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Absolutely not! That would be a direct conflict of interest. Why on earth would Pete want to help someone, anyone, break his record? I can see Pete laughing now.

wangs78
03-26-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't think so.

Pete is by far my favorite player. Always will be. But I don't think he'd make that great a coach. With that said, I think Andre would make a great coach. The few times I've heard him commenting on a player, or during a match, he seems to really have good insight and a clear understanding of the game.

I think Federer has a great respect for him and vice versa. I dont think Andre would be interested in leaving what he's doing in his life now to go and travel again full time. But if I were Federer and wanted opinions, I would go to as many people as I could, and Andre would be one of the first on the list.

Matt

I think you're right. Agassi could help Fed. And given that Sampras defeated Agassi in so many GS matches, he should have an incentive to help Fed break Pete's record. =)

BorisBeckerFan
03-26-2009, 01:05 PM
I'm sorry for posting something that has already been brought up. I'm still fairly new and should have used the search function. I don't want to be part of the crowd that keeps bringing up the same thing over and over again. If the mods want to delete this thread feel free, but if it's worth discussing please leave it up.

VictorS.
03-26-2009, 01:28 PM
I think an even better fit would the former Sampras coach, Paul Annacone. He's a low key guy who I think would encourage Federer to play a more aggressive, attacking style. Something Federer, himself, has admitted he needs to do more of. Think: Phil Jackson (to Kobe & Jordan).

GameSampras
03-26-2009, 01:33 PM
I could see Andre coaching Fed. Just cant see Pete doing it. Though it would be interesting if it were to happen. But u cant force mental toughness on a player

veroniquem
03-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Absolutely not! That would be a direct conflict of interest. Why on earth would Pete want to help someone, anyone, break his record? I can see Pete laughing now.
I agree. Agassi would be a better choice but I don't see any compatibility of character between the 2.

GameSampras
03-26-2009, 01:37 PM
I must say I thought about it. But imagine Pete coaches Fed to a slam record. Getting those last two. Helping him overcome Nadal. LOL. Talk about weird. Pete has mentioned many times before and even now Fed will break the record. Im sure he has comes to terms with it. Fed is gonna break it sooner of later within the next 2 seasons I think

icedevil0289
03-26-2009, 01:38 PM
I agree. Agassi would be a better choice but I don't see any compatibility of character between the 2.

Because you know both of them personally

veroniquem
03-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Because you know both of them personally
From what I can tell.

TheNatural
03-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Fed needs to move to where the coaches live. Mcenroe is volunteering (http://www.tennis-x.com/story/2009-03-14/k.php)Fed could learn a bit about volleying from Mcenroe:

When asked in the post-match press conference if he would be interested in coaching the "coach-less" five-time Wimbledon champion Roger Federer, McEnroe said, "I would love to give him some advice and help. I wouldn't do all the traveling, but I would love to help him."

Jaewonnie
03-26-2009, 02:43 PM
I highly doubt that Pete is interested in coaching anyone or even if he would be a good coach. But if Pete is good coach and had an interest would he be a good fit for Fed? Pete is the only person who can relate to success Roger has had and also slumped a little after the long reign at the top. I am not sure if he would or wouldn't be a good coach for Fed but I am interested in seeing what the forum members think?

They're 2 different kind of players. S and V and All-court don't mix.

The-Champ
03-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Nope! pete wouldn't be a good coach for Federer. pete would probably advice him wrong tactics to prevent him from winning more slams!

Would Pete be a good coach for Roddick? Yes! He can teach roddick how to volley properly.

marc45
03-26-2009, 03:12 PM
I think an even better fit would the former Sampras coach, Paul Annacone. He's a low key guy who I think would encourage Federer to play a more aggressive, attacking style. Something Federer, himself, has admitted he needs to do more of. Think: Phil Jackson (to Kobe & Jordan).
been saying this for awhile now...i think paul is under contract to british tennis however....maybe could get out of it if all parties worked it out...i would assume a call to pete might be in order before he went about helping roger break pete's record, although i have no doubt pete would approve

Blade0324
03-26-2009, 03:52 PM
Pete would not be a good coach for Fed. as others have said. Pete had same problem as Fed. No FO title and poor 1HBH that does not hold up well on slow surfaces and high balls. Pete did not win a French and neither will Fed. It's the unicorn to them both. Honeslty I don't think any coach could do enough for Fed. unless they are gonna get him hitting a 2HBH.

VGP
03-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Pete for Fed? No.

This "no coach" think for Federer is a farce.

He's had a coach for a long time and she's gonna be the mother of his child.

VivalaVida
03-26-2009, 04:01 PM
ROFL! agreed. Pete's words "I would love for my record to stay forever". He was one happy man when Rafa beat fed at the AO :D

marc45
03-26-2009, 04:23 PM
have such a low opinion of pete as a man, huh...sure he'd love to have his record forever but he's stated over and over and over and over that he fully expects roger to break his record and that roger is the exact kind of player and guy who he'd want to see be the one that did it.....this belief that pete sits there rooting for rafa to stop fed is ridiculous...he has also stated that he does not believe in rooting against someone (fed), that is poor sportsmanship and manhood

tomas9848
03-26-2009, 04:30 PM
I dont think that Sampras would want to coach someone. He is playing a little bit on that senior tour. I dont know though it depends.

TheTruth
03-26-2009, 04:54 PM

I think that would be a better fit. Paul is as low-key as they come.

edmondsm
03-26-2009, 04:57 PM
In general people who are very naturally gifted are not great teachers/coaches. Again, this is a very general idea, but through the years I have noticed that people with a lot of natural talent are not great at teaching their trade because they haven't had to think through and overcome as many problems as others.