PDA

View Full Version : One handed vs two handed BH.

rulik
03-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Hi Guys.
I have some problems with my one handed BH. I can't be consistent with balls on the rais because sometimes have very short time to prepare and when the ball goes very sharp I lose the pass because I have to hit it far infront of me. My two-handed-teammates don't have the same problems at all.
What do you think, may be better to start learning two handed BH?
Thanks for any help.

Morpheus
03-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Stay with the 1h; you'll appreciate it when you're 40ish.

Ryoma Kun
03-07-2005, 06:48 PM
i would say practice practice practice. my problem was hitting high topspin balls on my 1hbh side. i eventually just became adapted to using an extreme eastern grip to keep teh ball in and hit a ton of topspin. you just need to stick wtih it and tough it out. i tried switching to a 2hander too but i couldnt generate the same pace.

good luck wtih your game

rulik
03-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Ok. All the votes goes to 1hbh and more practice.
Thanks a lot and see you on the court.

goober
03-07-2005, 09:04 PM

Why would you appreciate at 40? Is it because of decreased foot speed?

Now that I think about it I don't know that many 40+ players with 2 BHs. I always thought though that was from learning 1 bh when they were young. These days the majority of kids lear 2BH so I presume most of them will still use it at >40

Morpheus
03-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Why would you appreciate at 40? Is it because of decreased foot speed?

Now that I think about it I don't know that many 40+ players with 2 BHs. I always thought though that was from learning 1 bh when they were young. These days the majority of kids lear 2BH so I presume most of them will still use it at >40

A 1hbh executed with proper technique takes much less effort than a 2h, plus the 1h allows for greater reach and, yes, undeniably, accomodates for reduced foot speed.

Prince_of_Tennis
03-08-2005, 12:37 AM
Besides one hander looks so much cooler!!!

BreakPoint
03-08-2005, 01:06 AM

Guys in their 40's grew up watching Borg, Connors, Salomon, Dibbs, Evert, and Austin, so there were plenty of 2HBH pros to emulate, if they wanted to. I think another possible reason why most guys over 40 use a 1HBH is that most of them have been playing tennis long enough to have figured out how to hit a 1HBH. They've also been playing long enough to have figured out that the 1HBH is superior to the 2HBH for the kind of tennis they play.

Morpheus
03-08-2005, 04:47 AM
Guys in their 40's grew up watching Borg... They've also been playing long enough to have figured out that the 1HBH is superior to the 2HBH for the kind of tennis they play.

Ouch! Is this a slam or a compliment?

blue sea
03-08-2005, 07:14 AM
I will choose the 1hbh. I've played tennis for 12 years with 2hbh and just switched to the 1hbh 2 months ago. Now I can play better tennis because 1hbh is easier to hit and with some practice it can be hit more precisely. I'm now 36. 2hbh takes me more effort to execute well and more difficult to hit down the like with precision. Also find that headlite, thin beam, mid or midplus is more suitable for 1hbh.

joe sch
03-08-2005, 08:01 AM
I think the big advantage to having a 2handed bh these days is service return. When you are receiving a 120+ bullet at your belly button, its really hard to get into position for a correct 1handed bh return and a 2handed bh gives you much better control on these jammers. For this reason, I would advise any serious player to start developing a 2handed bh ! On the other hand, if you only have a 2h bh, then you really need to develop a single so that your slice approach shots and bh volleys can enable you to play an allcourt game.

Veritas
03-08-2005, 08:11 AM
You can use both.

james_R
03-08-2005, 08:18 AM
I prefer the 2HBH. Most at my club play 1HBH and are sometimes taken aback by my 2HBH high ball return. By this I mean the way I can drive down on a midcourt ball that's bounced high. Obviously possible with a 1HBH, but you have to be very good to execute it with strength. Most people just dont expect such pace or lobs, come to think of it, on the backhand side that are solid and pacey as well as being safely in court. However, the fact that it's right for me is just that: For me. If I had started with a single handed, i'd want to stick with it and develope from wherever I was at with it and improve from a reasonable foundation, rather than start again. So bottom line? If you enjoy the 1HBH, stick with it, like anything in sport, with time and effort, it'll come right for you.

Fatmike
03-08-2005, 08:18 AM

why's that?

I have a 1hbh mainly cause hitting 2hbh is like hitting inverted in baseball.... I'm just unable to do that.... one teacher tries to makes me hit 2hbh, but I was really inconsistant... powerfull but not so much than 1hbh

Geezer Guy
03-08-2005, 08:28 AM
Hmmm, speaking of baseball... I was a switch hitter in baseball. Righty I could hit far and accurate. Lefty I could hit accurate but not far. However, for tennis I never even considered a 2HBH - don't know why, just didn't. The only advantage that I can see of a 2HBH over a 1HBH is on the service return in the backhand strike zone. On a wide backhand serve, or any volley, or any groundstroke (IMO) the 1HBH is superior.

To the original poster, I suggest working on your footwork to get you in better position for your backhand.

BreakPoint
03-08-2005, 12:21 PM
Ouch! Is this a slam or a compliment?

Neither. Guy's in their 40's tend NOT to play a baseline bashing style of game. They tend to be more all-court players that hit with lots of slice, chips, angles, lobs, and drop shots. They also try to get to the net to finish the point sooner since most would rather not run side to side for ten minutes to end a point. In effect, older guys that have been playing for a long time tend to play "smarter" tennis, rather than the "macho, brute force" type of tennis that many of the younger guys play. And I think a IHBH give you more variety to play an all-court type of game.

Morpheus
03-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Neither. Guy's in their 40's tend NOT to play a baseline bashing style of game. They tend to be more all-court players that hit with lots of slice, chips, angles, lobs, and drop shots. They also try to get to the net to finish the point sooner since most would rather not run side to side for ten minutes to end a point. In effect, older guys that have been playing for a long time tend to play "smarter" tennis, rather than the "macho, brute force" type of tennis that many of the younger guys play. And I think a IHBH give you more variety to play an all-court type of game.

OK, I take it as a compliment then, since you've described me quite well, and in a most complimentary way I might add.

MegacedU
03-08-2005, 02:57 PM
Hi Guys.
I have some problems with my one handed BH. I can't be consistent...
What do you think, may be better to start learning two handed BH?
Thanks for any help.

I'm 16 but when I started 8 years ago I couldn't hit ANYTHING with a two handed. So I used the one handed until I was like 14 when they made me swtich over to the two handed. Your game will improve I promise and your backhands will become more consistent (i had consistency issues as well).

However, you have an advantage if you learn both ways because if you're out of position, you can still drop down the one hander and make shots religious two handers cant. Plus it'll be a great way to learn the back hand slice if you switch over.

Tenny
03-08-2005, 03:10 PM
Besides one hander looks so much cooler!!!

OF COURSE!!! 1HB is THE BH!
When I watch 2HB player vs. 1HB player match, it gives an impression the former NEEDS 2 hands to match the latter's 1 hand. ^^

spinbalz
03-08-2005, 03:43 PM
What counts is not how many hands you use, what only counts is how well you can master the stroke, so just use what feels better for YOU. Comming from a 1 hand backhand player who has nothing against the 2 hand backhand.

BreakPoint
03-08-2005, 03:47 PM
OK, I take it as a compliment then, since you've described me quite well, and in a most complimentary way I might add.

I guess I should've mentioned that I'm also in the over 40 club AND hit a 1HBH. Have done so since I started playing tennis 30 years ago. It's my best stroke.

Morpheus
03-08-2005, 05:48 PM
I guess I should've mentioned that I'm also in the over 40 club AND hit a 1HBH. Have done so since I started playing tennis 30 years ago. It's my best stroke.

That explains your signature.

paulfreda
03-08-2005, 06:06 PM
I have always used a 1HBH, but sometimes I wish I could also hit a 2HBH. The reason is that it is like hitting a FH from both sides. You can be ready much more quickly since hitting a pure open stance shot is possible with 2HBH, but not with 1HBH. To me that is the big advantage.
Of course, Evert and Connors who made the shots popular (Drysdale was hitting with it before them and Segura had his 2HFH in the 50's) did so to get the power that is so difficult for a youngster to generate with 1HBH.
Maybe that will be my next tennis project; a few hours hitting 2HBH to get the feel. Would be a nice addtion to the arsenal.