PDA

View Full Version : Does Fed still feel he's number 1?

richied
03-26-2009, 06:06 PM
I think Fed still feels he's number 1 in his head. Maybe, that's the right attitude, maybe it's not. I just think if he could eat a little humble pie and stop trying to over power Nadal, he'll be a better player. Granted, against most players he can still do as he wishes, but Nadal's a different story!!

BorisBeckerFan
03-26-2009, 06:29 PM
I tend to think he still thinks he's the best player. Not that I have any proof it's just what I deduct form his interviews. I think when Rafa plays the top guys he genuinely thinks "I'm not the best player on the court, there's a real chance I could lose this match and therefore I need to try my best and play all out." I think if Fed adopts this attitude he would at least be on the right path to improving his record against Nadal and Murray. In someways I still think that Fed thinks he's just having an off day when he's losing to Murray and Nadal and that's not the case. He's either being outplayed or collapsing mentally. Unless Fed answers the question directly of "are you still the best in your own mind?" we'll never know but that's what I think. No matter if Fed plays 6 more years or one, I really want Fed to end his career on a high note. He's given many tennis fans the world over many enjoyable moments and wonderful memories. I know Fed's not reading tennis blogs seeking advice but if for any odd reason Roger stumbles upon this; Go Fed! Give us a couple more slams!

roundiesee
03-26-2009, 06:41 PM
In the beginning, when he lost his no 1 ranking, I think he found it difficult to accept; but recently he has appeared to warm to the fact that he no longer is the best (that person being Rafa); I think he's trying to concentrate on winning slam titles, and not worry about the rankings. Let's wish him all the best!

klementine79
03-26-2009, 06:58 PM
IMO, Federer's problem is, now that he is starting to lose a step (and he knows this)-- seeing how his competion is considerably younger than him-- he tries to finish points alot sooner-- going for too much-- trying to paint lines-- he needs to find a more 'patient' aggressive game that suits his aging game.

He can learn something from Nadal in this regard, Nadal plays what is given to him-- and only goes for broke when the situation is right-- or he is in the 'zone'.

Sentinel
03-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Dunno bout Fed, but I still do :-D

federerdomination
03-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Dunno bout Fed, but I still do :-D

same lol

I'm with Fed forever :)

tennis_hand
03-26-2009, 07:12 PM
whether he really feels it or not does not matter.

from what i observe about Fed, he is a person that likes to feel on top and beat the other players. If this helps him winning, why not.

on the other hand, Nadal is someone who likes to be the underdog, the unfavored to win.

It is just a mindset that helps u in matches. Not much to think about it.

himynameisNIKE
03-26-2009, 07:19 PM
yes, i think deep down inside he does :(

NotSoSuper
03-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Im sure he does not truly beleive he is number one. But it must feel awful to be introduced as the number 2 player in the world after being widely known as the best for so long.

Mick
03-26-2009, 08:27 PM
not only does federer think he's still number 1, he also thinks he's the goat :)

prosealster
03-26-2009, 08:31 PM
i think there r a lot of doubt in his mind...based on his matches against nads...and to less extent murray

carlos djackal
03-26-2009, 08:35 PM
I think Fed still feels he's number 1 in his head. !!

the way he's sounds in every interview after a win or a loss, I bet he still feels he's no.1...

JoshDragon
03-26-2009, 08:38 PM
not only does federer think he's still number 1, he also thinks he's the goat :)

He doesn't just think he's the goat, he know's he's the goat.

Mick
03-26-2009, 08:44 PM
He doesn't just think he's the goat, he know's he's the goat.

yep. you are so right :)

mandy01
03-26-2009, 09:03 PM
no I dont..he's said it repeatedly I dont know what more people want.
His confidence against Nadal esp is shaken thats all.I genuinely hope he can get it back his sake and for the rivalry to get more interesting
Even if he dosent-I have always loved him and always will.

verbatim100
03-26-2009, 09:56 PM
no I dont..he's said it repeatedly I dont know what more people want.
His confidence against Nadal esp is shaken thats all.I genuinely hope he can get it back his sake and for the rivalry to get more interesting
Even if he dosent-I have always loved him and always will.

IMO he is beginning to doubt deep down that he is no longer the best player in the world and that he has never been GOAT. It looks like publicly he needs to convince himself and others that he is the best. You, Fed, sound so desperately hollow when you insist that you are still the best in the world.:( While some Fed fans may be sympathetic to his attitude, for others it's embarrassing. :oops: Don't whine, Fed, accept like a man that more and more players can beat you now.

lawrence
03-26-2009, 10:48 PM
In the beginning, when he lost his no 1 ranking, I think he found it difficult to accept; but recently he has appeared to warm to the fact that he no longer is the best (that person being Rafa); I think he's trying to concentrate on winning slam titles, and not worry about the rankings. Let's wish him all the best!

exactly my thoughts, if you have noticed fed has changed his attitude a lot, he seems more happy now somehow. lol

TheNatural
03-26-2009, 11:12 PM
If he feels he's better than what he actually is that may be why he's been unmotivated to improve his weaknesses. He may need some objectivity from a good coach.

I think Fed still feels he's number 1 in his head. Maybe, that's the right attitude, maybe it's not. I just think if he could eat a little humble pie and stop trying to over power Nadal, he'll be a better player. Granted, against most players he can still do as he wishes, but Nadal's a different story!!

maximo
03-26-2009, 11:14 PM
In a nut shell, the Wimbledon final has wrecked the rest of his career

dwhiteside
03-26-2009, 11:23 PM

Except for that whole US Open thing.

Sentinel
03-27-2009, 12:38 AM

Except for that whole US Open thing.

Not to mention reaching the AO final, and then beating that oh-so-hooot Verdasco in straights at IW.

mandy01
03-27-2009, 01:11 AM
IMO he is beginning to doubt deep down that he is no longer the best player in the world and that he has never been GOAT. It looks like publicly he needs to convince himself and others that he is the best. You, Fed, sound so desperately hollow when you insist that you are still the best in the world.:( While some Fed fans may be sympathetic to his attitude, for others it's embarrassing. :oops: Don't whine, Fed, accept like a man that more and more players can beat you now. * yawn* .zzzzzzzz..he never said he's the best ..yawn..same old BS.

verbatim100
03-27-2009, 01:31 AM
* yawn* .zzzzzzzz..he never said he's the best ..yawn..same old BS.

Roger must be aware that, quote, "he may be facing the best player in the history of tennis". (Lendel) :)

burosky
03-27-2009, 10:20 AM
I guess the only way we would know for sure is if the answer came directly from the man himself.

tahiti
03-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Yes I think he does. If you look back at an interview just over half a year ago, Wimbledon 2 July 2008 he says
http://championships.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2008-07-02/200807021215021824484.html
He had just defeated Mario Ancic.

Q. When you play as well as you did today, is there any reason why you shouldn't think in terms of not just a sixth title here but perhaps even a seventh?

ROGER FEDERER: Sure, I mean, I'll have a chance to win this tournament for the next five or 10 years, you know. Doesn't matter how I play from here. You know, I think my game's made for grass. There will always be tough opponents, dangerous opponents. That has been the case for the last years, as well. But I found a way to win always. Of course, my dream is to not only win this year, but many more years to come. If it doesn't happen, I'll try to win the next one again. This is what it's all about for me at this stage.

I can't believe his mindset has changed so quickly and AO certainly an indication of his expectations.

dincuss
03-27-2009, 10:54 AM
I still refer to fed as no.1 but i also refer to nadal as no.1 haha

l_gonzalez
03-27-2009, 10:55 AM
I get the feeling that Federer still thinks he's the best player in the world in terms of ability, even if the results don't show it. He still feels he has the best game out there and it's only a matter of "winning those few crucial points" here and there.

He gives the impression of "i'm so talented i just need to find my A-game and i'll blow everyone away again"

that's the way I see it.

However, he currently finds himself low on confidence. People can say he turns it on in Grand Slams and all that but i don't buy it, he didn't tank the match against Murray last week, he simply played horribly and looked lost out there, like he had no game plan.

When you start losing matches your confidence drops, you can only get that confidence back by winning matches. How do you start winning these matches again? You train your *** off and prepare as well as you can to give yourself the very best possible shot at winning.

Federer keeps making the same mistakes over and over again. This leads me to conclude that Federer honestly believes that as long as he's fit and healthy he can just turn up, work his way through the draw and then "bring out the A game"

He relies too heavily on his God-given talent, he's too damn proud to train his *** off and he's too stubborn to get a coach.

you can flame me all you like but this is the way I see it.

mandy01
03-27-2009, 10:57 AM
^^That interview was from when he was still no 1 in the world...if he was the no 1 then he had every right to feel like one..I thought that was common sense..sheesh people read too much into these players' words and pass judgements.They'd do better to judge themselves first.

mandy01
03-27-2009, 11:01 AM
I get the feeling that Federer still thinks he's the best player in the world in terms of ability, even if the results don't show it. He still feels he has the best game out there and it's only a matter of "winning those few crucial points" here and there.

He gives the impression of "i'm so talented i just need to find my A-game and i'll blow everyone away again"

that's the way I see it.

However, he currently finds himself low on confidence. People can say he turns it on in Grand Slams and all that but i don't buy it, he didn't tank the match against Murray last week, he simply played horribly and looked lost out there, like he had no game plan.

When you start losing matches your confidence drops, you can only get that confidence back by winning matches. How do you start winning these matches again? You train your *** off and prepare as well as you can to give yourself the very best possible shot at winning.

Federer keeps making the same mistakes over and over again. This leads me to conclude that Federer honestly believes that as long as he's fit and healthy he can just turn up, work his way through the draw and then "bring out the A game"

He relies too heavily on his God-given talent, he's too damn proud to train his *** off and he's too stubborn to get a coach.

you can flame me all you like but this is the way I see it. FYI..Darren Cahill himself said that he couldnt believe how hard Roger trains.He said that he would practice for hours and hours and practice partners had to keep doing rotating in and out because they couldnt keep up with him.
He's low on confidence though and I do believe he needs a good coach.Not for the game but more as someone to look up to..someone like an anchor.

tahiti
03-27-2009, 11:05 AM
^^That interview was from when he was still no 1 in the world...if he was the no 1 then he had every right to feel like one..I thought that was common sense..sheesh people read too much into these players' words and pass judgements.They'd do better to judge themselves first.

take your own advice and practice what you preach.

mandy01
03-27-2009, 11:11 AM
take your own advice and practice what you preach.
and I preach what? I dont go around passing judgements on characters and attitudes of those who've accomplished a lot more than I have.

l_gonzalez
03-27-2009, 11:33 AM
FYI..Darren Cahill himself said that he couldnt believe how hard Roger trains.He said that he would practice for hours and hours and practice partners had to keep doing rotating in and out because they couldnt keep up with him.
He's low on confidence though and I do believe he needs a good coach.Not for the game but more as someone to look up to..someone like an anchor.

Thanks for that, i didn't know Darren Cahill had said that. That just makes it all the more puzzling why he keeps making all those errors.

mandy01
03-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks for that, i didn't know Darren Cahill had said that. That just makes it all the more puzzling why he keeps making all those errors.
Yes,it does.What worries me more is the first serve percentage and those sky-rocketing number of double faults..incidently Roger had 20 double faults throughout the Australian Open..ain't a good sign.