PDA

View Full Version : Pro Player Earnings

john5527
03-26-2009, 06:23 PM
I am sure this question has been asked, but I was wondering how much the average player ranked say 100-150 in the world earns a year after expenses. I looked on the ATP website and saw that #102 Ivan Navarro has earned $736,278 in eight years or about $92,000K a year. That sounds good but what would typical expenses eat up?

tomas9848
03-26-2009, 06:29 PM
some players have to pay for airfare then, you know the essentials.

deltox
03-26-2009, 06:29 PM
I am sure this question has been asked, but I was wondering how much the average player ranked say 100-150 in the world earns a year after expenses. I looked on the ATP website and saw that #102 Ivan Navarro has earned $736,278 in eight years or about $92,000K a year. That sounds good but what would typical expenses eat up?

i would bet that a top 100-250 player that wants to be full time on the tour would spend between 50 and 75k per year on travel and expenses to appear at as many qualifiers as possible

the trick that most use is to travel as a group with others like in rankings thus receiving group discounts on hotels, air travel and such. the best way to do things is to get a sponsor. Hot young prospects are often picked up by clothing labels for the simple investment of their travel expenses and costs of the tennis life.

I have read that it is a huge struggle to get from the bottom to the top 150 or so before you really start actually making a profit. challengers and futures are your actual source of income in most cases.

BorisBeckerFan
03-26-2009, 06:42 PM
I don't know if any of the forum members here have any facts on the matter but as far as I know most players outside the top 100 don't have the kind of sponsorships that pay you. They are at best free gear or discounted gear. Without that sponsorship you're really not making a whole lot because as it's already been stated here travel expenses eat up a lot of the money and if you have a coach or any sort of team around you they are usually not free so a lot of that $100,000 dollars is chewed up rather quickly. This is another point that if some one has the facts please chime in, but I heard David Ferrer's goal at first was to stay inside the top 100 for a while so that he could participate in atp retirement and health plans. So I'm guessing that unless your fairly good and hang around for a while your not exactly getting rich. Your just trying to make a living.

tahiti
03-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Interesting. I think it must be really tough for the players who just quite can't make the notch. Amazing to think that David Ferrer was actually in construction before he began as pro tennis player. I never knew the ATP had retirement plans, though it makes sense I suppose for those who never break through. There must be a lot of real tennis lovers out there, struggling to pay their costs and not winning much.

Nanshiki
03-27-2009, 12:24 PM
At a certain level, hotels and stuff become free, but I think you still have to pay your own travel expenses... well, maybe not, but you obviously do if you have a private jet. lol.

But they still have to pay for stringing labor and coaching.

Actually, the big players get paid just to show up (a guarantee), but are technically getting paid to do stuff like clinics.

The general rule in sports is that almost every big player makes far more money in sponsorship and guarantees than they do in prize money.

I met someone who has a career prize money of a little over a million, but she said "I don't have a million dollars." lol.

Also remember that their prize money stats only covers tour-level events, not the satellite winnings.

pound cat
03-27-2009, 01:59 PM
At a certain level, hotels and stuff become free, but I think you still have to pay your own travel expenses... well, maybe not, but you obviously do if you have a private jet. lol.

But they still have to pay for stringing labor and coaching.

Actually, the big players get paid just to show up (a guarantee), but are technically getting paid to do stuff like clinics.

The general rule in sports is that almost every big player makes far more money in sponsorship and guarantees than they do in prize money.

I met someone who has a career prize money of a little over a million, but she said "I don't have a million dollars." lol.

Also remember that their prize money stats only covers tour-level events, not the satellite winnings.

Coach and agent get a substantial cut of the earnings.

mary fierce
03-27-2009, 02:19 PM
"Hotels and stuff" are free above a certain level? I don't think so. A friend of mine was director of concierges at the Marriott Marquis in NYC, where a fair number of players stay during the USO. The players pay, and it ain't cheap.

john5527
03-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the responses. So, I guess it is safe to say no one could retire from a tennis career unless they are in the top 50. Kind of disappointing considering how much effort it would take to even be in the top 500 in the world. Still, money isn't everything if you are enjoying your life. I would like to hear some people's stories who tried to make it besides the big time players. And to find out how they did. The players that most of us have never even seen play.

deltox
03-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the responses. So, I guess it is safe to say no one could retire from a tennis career unless they are in the top 50. Kind of disappointing considering how much effort it would take to even be in the top 500 in the world. Still, money isn't everything if you are enjoying your life. I would like to hear some people's stories who tried to make it besides the big time players. And to find out how they did. The players that most of us have never even seen play.

unless you get lucky and win or go far into a couple big money tourneys by some fluke of luck.