PDA

View Full Version : What Matters More for Generating Spin - Racquet or String?

GermaniumGenie
03-07-2005, 07:00 PM
What matters more for generating spin (other than your stroke :-D), racquet or string? I have always wondered. I generate heaploads of spin with my Technifibre X-One Biphase 17g string on my LM Prestige. Is it the racquet or the string, or just my long, loopy strokes?

Gaines Hillix
03-07-2005, 07:31 PM
Angle of attack of the racquet face to the ball at impact and the speed of the swing are the biggest factors. So whatever you can swing the fastest will help you generate more head speed and spin. That's also why a semi or full western grip is so condusive to spin. You have to consider the racquet and the string. They both effect the ability to create spin. It's easier for most players to create spin with an open string pattern and thinner strings if they have good head speed because the strings bite into the ball more. Players with slower swings may be able to generate more spin with thicker strings at lower tension because dwell time and friction are higher. Of course, some tennis scientists believe this is because the trajectory of the ball is higher and looks loopy, so there is a perception of more spin.

gmlasam
03-07-2005, 08:11 PM
What matters more for generating spin (other than your stroke :-D), racquet or string? I have always wondered. I generate heaploads of spin with my Technifibre X-One Biphase 17g string on my LM Prestige. Is it the racquet or the string, or just my long, loopy strokes?
Given everything the same, string type, tension, and stroke mechanics, I would say it would be the racquet. For example, the RD-7 and the POG. Both are very different, but similar in producing such extreme spin of the ground. POG more manuverable and more head light, open string pattern 14x18, and a little lighter than the RD-7. The RD-7 is more hefty, more flexible, much heavier, denser string pattern 16x19, and yet both produce high caliber spin.