PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Suggestions - Aggressive, loopy strokes...

GermaniumGenie
03-07-2005, 08:07 PM
I have an aggressive, all-court style of play, yet I am not built that big, so I need a racquet that will generate a modest amount of power. I have long, loopy strokes on both my serve and groundstrokes. However, I come into the net to finish off points often. I want to get the most spin and control in a manueverable frame. Any suggestions? Weight doesn't really matter for me. Thanks for any help. Also, what would be best for my style of play, head heavy or head light?

Gaines Hillix
03-07-2005, 08:36 PM
The Bab AeroPro Drive has been getting some good comments lately. It's design seems to help generate more head speed and power.

maratonman
03-08-2005, 05:06 AM
PS 6.0 95 is an excellent choice. If you want a little more power get the new Prostaff 6.1.

GermaniumGenie
03-08-2005, 05:26 PM
I will try demoing them

GermaniumGenie
03-09-2005, 05:47 PM
Should it be relatively light because I need a manueverable racquet or should it have more weight so more mass goes into the ball? How about balance - how head light should it be, like in the 10pt range or the 2pt range?

GermaniumGenie
03-09-2005, 06:41 PM
I am pretty sure I like the Wilson nCode nSix-One 95. I am gonna try my friend's tomorrow. Another option I like is the Volkl Tour 8 V-Engine. Although the latter is extremely light, I think I could generate a heapload of head speed with it.

Marius_Hancu
03-09-2005, 07:00 PM
I am pretty sure I like the Wilson nCode nSix-One 95. I am gonna try my friend's tomorrow. Another option I like is the Volkl Tour 8 V-Engine. Although the latter is extremely light, I think I could generate a heapload of head speed with it.

6.1 are very good for all courters, the whole series.
However, HPS 6.1 (which I loved for her large sweet spot) was really too stiff for me (at a stiffness of 66) and my stringer, and the same might be valid for nCode nSix-One 95.

Do not buy light rackets, you may have in time huge elbow problems. For your style, a balance about 8, top light, should be OK.

Also, do not buy anything with a stiffness of 70, like the Aeros. You'll have the same elbow problems.

Marius_Hancu
03-09-2005, 07:04 PM
You should consider
Liquidmetal Prestige
much less stiff, heavy enough to avoid elbow problems.

Also, 6.0 95.

Geezer Guy
03-10-2005, 09:09 AM
I have an aggressive, all-court style of play, yet I am not built that big, so I need a racquet that will generate a modest amount of power. I have long, loopy strokes on both my serve and groundstrokes. However, I come into the net to finish off points often. ... Weight doesn't really matter for me.

I'm not a racquet guru by any means, but my style sounds a lot like yours. I have been using a Wilson H5 for awhile now, and like it. ...for whatever that's worth.

deflori
03-10-2005, 09:34 AM
You should consider
Liquidmetal Prestige
much less stiff, heavy enough to avoid elbow problems.

Also, 6.0 95.

For loopy strokes??
Forget it! This Racket plays like a package of Wood

GermaniumGenie
03-10-2005, 05:45 PM
YUP! I use the Liquidmetal Prestige MP right now! DEFLORI, YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT - BOTH THE MP AND MID HAVE A HORRIBLE BOARDY FEEL! That is why I want to switch. Thanks for the suggestions Hancu! What does HPS stand for?

BTW, I didn't get around to trying out my friend's nCode nSix-One 95 today, but I will probably do that during practice tomorrow. It has a stiffness of 65.

Marius_Hancu
04-30-2005, 09:38 PM
YUP! I use the Liquidmetal Prestige MP right now! DEFLORI, YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT - BOTH THE MP AND MID HAVE A HORRIBLE BOARDY FEEL! That is why I want to switch. Thanks for the suggestions Hancu! What does HPS stand for?

BTW, I didn't get around to trying out my friend's nCode nSix-One 95 today, but I will probably do that during practice tomorrow. It has a stiffness of 65.

The boardy feel for those rackets might come from the 18x20 pattern. Isn't it used on them?

You might want to check 16x19 patterns.

HPS is Hyper ProStaff.

federer_nadal
04-30-2005, 11:21 PM
The racquet in my picture

Flatspin
05-01-2005, 05:58 AM
I liked the Vokyl tour 10 V-Engine mid! Very nice!

Flatspin
05-01-2005, 06:01 AM
The LM prestiges have nothing like a boardy feeling. Your stringing too tight! Both have nice flex ...... a great frame! String the mid between 54 - 56 lbs. with a high quality 17g multi ...... very comfortable! Outstanding control ...... take a hard swing and you can smoke the ball. Nice touch ...has it all. Must be in shape to play with it though. Minimun a 4.0 player to really appreciate the LM Prestiges!

Go Tennis
05-01-2005, 06:15 AM
Yes, the LM Prestige is very nice, but you need to have a PERFECT full aceleration strokes all the time, always, to get everything from this racquet. It's a real ATP lighter stick.

man-walking
05-01-2005, 07:41 AM
However, HPS 6.1 (which I loved for her large sweet spot) was really too stiff for me (at a stiffness of 66) and my stringer, and the same might be valid for nCode nSix-One 95.
No, nSix-One 95 has a very comfortable construction and it feels much more solid than stiff.
I think ncode process has an high energy returning property, you'll feel very well the weight of ball contact but not any harsh response from the grip.

nViATi
05-01-2005, 08:01 AM
The LM prestiges have nothing like a boardy feeling. Your stringing too tight! Both have nice flex ...... a great frame! String the mid between 54 - 56 lbs. with a high quality 17g multi ...... very comfortable! Outstanding control ...... take a hard swing and you can smoke the ball. Nice touch ...has it all. Must be in shape to play with it though. Minimun a 4.0 player to really appreciate the LM Prestiges!
i'm only a 3.0 or 3.5 at max but i am demoing the lm prestige mp right now and i love it! :) it's a great racquet.

Steve F.
05-01-2005, 08:13 AM
Geranium you've got a great all court stick right now.

What string and tension do you use, and when was the last time you restrung? How many different strings have you tried? "Boardy feeling" means you've got the wrong set up.

A new stick is a quick fix, but you need to figure out what string set up you play best with. Start there, and repost in stringing.

man-walking
05-01-2005, 08:15 AM
Indeed, we couldn't speak generally about Prestiges, Mid and MP are quite different...

USCfan
05-01-2005, 10:35 AM
Aeropro Drive/Aeropro Drive +

barry
05-01-2005, 10:38 AM
You should give the new Flexpoint Radical Tour a try. It is flexible and plays strong. Plus with the open string pattern, you can generate a lot more spin, without the board effect the other LM products have.
Might be a little powerful so would string it in the upper range, maybe 60 pounds.

goober
05-08-2005, 10:29 AM
I'm not a racquet guru by any means, but my style sounds a lot like yours. I have been using a Wilson H5 for awhile now, and like it. ...for whatever that's worth.

hey geezer guy if you are interested in any more H5s, I have 2 that are practically brand new I can unload cheap :D