PDA

View Full Version : murray on grass

nadal
03-27-2009, 08:21 AM
will murray be competitive to nadal on grass as hard courts or will nadal dominate? whatever your answer just say why?

deltox
03-27-2009, 08:41 AM
will murray be competitive to nadal on grass as hard courts or will nadal dominate? whatever your answer just say why?

this is automatically assuming nadal is going to own the grass courts, which i dont see. clay yes, grass, well have to see.

coloskier
03-27-2009, 09:07 AM
It will be interesting to see if he can come in so close on his service returns like he does on hard courts and still be effective.

RCizzle65
03-27-2009, 09:31 AM
this is automatically assuming nadal is going to own the grass courts, which i dont see. clay yes, grass, well have to see.

He won Wimbledon and Queens last year, what more do you want?

batz
03-27-2009, 09:37 AM

I think you're forgetting about someone are you not? Some guy whose done pretty well on the green stuff these last few years? Swiss bloke, his name escapes me but I'm sure he's not bad.

Murray will do well on grass. I expect him to at least play to his seeding in SW19.

jaggy
03-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Murray easily beat Roddick a few years ago at Wimb at a time when Roddick was expected to go far and eventually lose to Fed!

NotSoSuper
03-27-2009, 09:42 AM
i think he could.

He has great touch at the net, and his serve is improving. Maybe when he plays on the grass he should use his serve as a bigger weapon..

At wimbledon you would think he would have an advantage anyway, just because hes British.

Nadal_Freak
03-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Murray does not move as well on grass. I think he mentioned before he doesn't like grass. We'll find out I guess. Nadal seemed in total control at Wimbledon last year though.

batz
03-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Murray does not move as well on grass. I think he mentioned before he doesn't like grass. We'll find out I guess. Nadal seemed in total control at Wimbledon last year though.

On the contrary NF, Murray has stated on several occasions how much he likes to play on grass. He re-iterated this only the other day when his appearance at Queen this year was confirmed.

nadal
03-27-2009, 10:42 AM
I think you're forgetting about someone are you not? Some guy whose done pretty well on the green stuff these last few years? Swiss bloke, his name escapes me but I'm sure he's not bad.

Murray will do well on grass. I expect him to at least play to his seeding in SW19.

federer is federer man! no argument but i am just asking whether murray can compete with nadal on grass as hard courts simply but federer is still one of the favourites to win wimbledon.

batz
03-27-2009, 11:06 AM
federer is federer man! no argument but i am just asking whether murray can compete with nadal on grass as hard courts simply but federer is still one of the favourites to win wimbledon.

No worries dude - I was being facetious.

deltox
03-27-2009, 11:30 AM
He won Wimbledon and Queens last year, what more do you want?

dominance is not locked from one season. he sweeps grass this year and we can say hes dominant, sorta like on clay.

tahiti
03-27-2009, 11:31 AM
I think Murray is capable of beating both Federer and Nadal on grass. He's quick and last years he didn't have a coach at Wimbledon so he is prepared and ready. I think he'll go far this year. I wonder what Tsonga is like on grass?

tintin
03-27-2009, 12:20 PM
I think Murray is capable of beating both Federer and Nadal on grass. He's quick and last years he didn't have a coach at Wimbledon so he is prepared and ready. I think he'll go far this year. I wonder what Tsonga is like on grass?
Tsonga is not bad on grass.He lost to Gasquet 2 years ago in straight sets but he wasn't half the player he is now.Last year he missed it due to that right knee surgery.He'll go far at W if he's healthy

tahiti
03-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Tsonga is not bad on grass.He lost to Gasquet 2 years ago in straight sets but he wasn't half the player he is now.Last year he missed it due to that right knee surgery.He'll go far at W if he's healthy

Thanks for that. I think Murray and Tsonga on grass would be a fantastic match up! Hopefully we'll get lucky.

mandy01
03-27-2009, 12:42 PM
I would agree to that and at this point its safe to say that Nadal has improved on grass more than Murray has.It might be closer if they meet next time though .

Feņa14
03-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Yeah Murray likes grass and I agree about playing to his seeding, a semi appearance will be about right.

clayman2000
03-27-2009, 01:01 PM

How many times do i need to say. In last years quarters. Murray was nervous and gassed. He had just won in a 5 set marathon against Gasquet, no pushover on grass. He was in his 1st ever Grand slam quarter, against Nadal, at home.

Now Murray is a different player. Like another poster alluded to, he actually likes grass. If you don't believe me, look at 2005 wimby 3rd Round, Murray vs Nalbandian. 18 years old Murray had just destroyed stepanek in 3sets, and was up 2 sets on Nalbandian.

Nadal_Freak
03-27-2009, 09:44 PM
How many times do i need to say. In last years quarters. Murray was nervous and gassed. He had just won in a 5 set marathon against Gasquet, no pushover on grass. He was in his 1st ever Grand slam quarter, against Nadal, at home.

Now Murray is a different player. Like another poster alluded to, he actually likes grass. If you don't believe me, look at 2005 wimby 3rd Round, Murray vs Nalbandian. 18 years old Murray had just destroyed stepanek in 3sets, and was up 2 sets on Nalbandian.
It won't matter how many times. Nadal is obviously the better grass court player. He is better then Murray on most surfaces except fast hardcourts.

carlos djackal
03-28-2009, 12:07 AM
I think Murray will be a contender to Nadal's throne in wimbledon....he has the game to go far in grass plus his serve has improved a lot compared to last year....i see him as one of the favorites in this years wimbledon...

seffina
03-28-2009, 12:45 AM
I don't see him as a favorite there at all. I think he'll go far just because he's an all around player, but not further than the semis.

dtrain
03-28-2009, 12:56 AM
What has Murray proven on grass over the last 3 years compared to Nadal? Nadal 3 years in a row has made it to the finals of Wimbledon. Last year he won both Queens and Wimbledon. Murray has yet to win a slam. Murray is a great player, but I don't see how you can put him as a favorite over a defending champ.

batz
03-28-2009, 02:24 AM
What has Murray proven on grass over the last 3 years compared to Nadal? Nadal 3 years in a row has made it to the finals of Wimbledon. Last year he won both Queens and Wimbledon. Murray has yet to win a slam. Murray is a great player, but I don't see how you can put him as a favorite over a defending champ.

I don't think anyone on this thread has done that. The closest has been 'one of the favourites'. Nadal and Roger clearly have far superior records, but after those 2, Murray would be next in line IMHO.

maximo
03-28-2009, 02:29 AM
I don't think anyone on this thread has done that. The closest has been 'one of the favourites'. Nadal and Roger clearly have far superior records, but after those 2, Murray would be next in line IMHO.

I agree 100%.

adidas_viking
03-28-2009, 03:52 AM

Competative to Nadal?

Dude Wimbledon last year was like playing on clay...

Hopefully the new roof will keep the rain off, and the court will get back to normal....

I for one am hoping for a wet Wimbledon this year. Because that means that the Center Court will be dry and fast... Nadal has no hope if Roger makes the final..... Or anyone that hits hard and flat....

swedechris
03-28-2009, 03:59 AM
IMO he will be in the semis at Wimby this year and if he make the finals i think he will take it. he is good.

adidas_viking
03-28-2009, 04:04 AM
IMO he will be in the semis at Wimby this year and if he make the finals i think he will take it. he is good.

Sorry Chris, I am a Chris, and I can't agree...

Murray is just making up the numbers at the momment.. He doesn't have the meat balls to hold up any big trophey, particularly the Wimbledon one...

Ocean Drive
03-28-2009, 08:37 AM
It won't matter how many times. Nadal is obviously the better grass court player. He is better then Murray on most surfaces except fast hardcourts.

Read my signature, Einstein.

Nadal_Freak
03-28-2009, 08:39 AM
Read my signature, Einstein.
It's not easy to tell the difference. Grammer fixers are lame.

Ocean Drive
03-28-2009, 08:44 AM
They are both completely different words.
Here's an example.

I am better THAN you.

I went outside THEN I came back in.

Voila!

You ever been to school?

Nadal_Freak
03-28-2009, 08:46 AM
They are both completely different words.
Here's an example.

I am better THAN you.

I went outside THEN I came back in.

Voila!

You ever been to school?
Nope. I just majically learned English through osmosis. :rolleyes: English was always my worst subject. I'm a Math person.

Ocean Drive
03-28-2009, 08:50 AM
So what?

You learn the difference when you are 5 years old.

Thing is, point it out to you and you still go around spelling wrong.

That's what really makes me laugh.

clayman2000
03-28-2009, 09:33 AM
Please, lets not argue about Grammar

On a more important note, i dont think anyone is trying to say that Murray would be favoured against Nadal on grass. At this point, the Wimbledon favourites are clearly Nadal then Federer. Murray has an outside shot against Fed if Nadal goes out early.

After those three, Roddick, Djokovic, Tsonga and Verdasco will all be fighting for the title. Anyone of these four could knock out Murray if they are hot (mind you, Murray and Djokovic meeting would be unlikely)

GameSampras
03-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Murray prolly wont even make it to Nadal. Much less defeat Roger or Nadal to win wimbeldon.

vtmike
03-28-2009, 10:07 AM

Wait a minute he won 9-7 in the fifth set against Fed :-? Fed was as much in control of Wimbledon last year as Nadal...If any tournament deserved to have two winners it would be wimbledon 2008

vtmike
03-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Nope. I just majically learned English through osmosis. :rolleyes: English was always my worst subject. I'm a Math person.

And yet you claim the weight of the ball increases with speed :shock:

jaggy
03-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Will the english wave their little red and white flags when he plays well?

Nadal_Freak
03-28-2009, 02:57 PM
And yet you claim the weight of the ball increases with speed :shock:
That's science smart one.

thejoe
03-28-2009, 02:59 PM

They go hand in hand.

Nadal_Freak
03-28-2009, 03:04 PM
They go hand in hand.
How many times times do you hear that a player is not good at generating pace? Like it takes more effort to create pace then absorb pace. Well that's how I got my wrong idea that the ball weighs more when hit at a slower pace. There is still more of a trampoline effect despite it feeling heavier when the ball is hit harder. So yeah I was wrong but was in the right ballpark. I haven't taken Physics in 8 years so give me a break.

adidas_viking
03-28-2009, 07:58 PM
How many times times do you hear that a player is not good at generating pace? Like it takes more effort to create pace then absorb pace. Well that's how I got my wrong idea that the ball weighs more when hit at a slower pace. There is still more of a trampoline effect despite it feeling heavier when the ball is hit harder. So yeah I was wrong but was in the right ballpark. I haven't taken Physics in 8 years so give me a break.

You are just Fedace with a different name!

Ha ha ha

vtmike
03-31-2009, 04:44 AM

So you're saying physics and maths are not related? :???:

vtmike
03-31-2009, 04:46 AM

The stronger trampoline effect is due to higher momentum of the ball...

caulcano
03-31-2009, 05:16 AM

Yes: Murray will be competitive on grass because he has been fairly consistent on all surfaces.

No: I don't think Nadal will dominate because Nadal has more or less been at the top of his game for about 3 years now (no. 2 for many years & now no. 1). Nadal can improve but the other players are not too far behind him.