PDA

View Full Version : Verdasco Forehand Grip?

tennisnut16
03-27-2009, 11:46 AM
I watched the AO 09 semis with verdasco against nadal and he absolutely has the best forehand. He punishes that ball with every shot. I was wondering what his forehand grip was. Some have suggested that it is a western grip, but I'm not so sure. He hits with a lot more pace, a straight arm (which is very hard to do with a western grip, but not impossible), he hits more through the ball with less spin than nadal, djokovic, etc. So, what is his grip??

ascdga
03-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Looks like it's somewhere between an eastern and SW and he doesn't grip it as far down as Nadal and Federer.

ShcMad
03-27-2009, 12:24 PM
According to John Yandell (owner of tennisplayer.net), Verdasco uses a Moderate Semi-western (base knuckle on bevel 4 and heel pad in between bevels 3 and 4).

bluescreen
03-27-2009, 12:45 PM
i agree with shcmad. it reminds me a lot of federer's grip.

Blade0324
03-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Left handed, Ha ha ha

oneguy21
03-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Complete Western I believe.

tennisnut16
03-27-2009, 05:23 PM
If he has a straight arm forehand and relatively the same grip as Federer, why is his so much more dominant (from what I've seen, this is not to suggest that Federer does not have a dominant forehand)?

tomas9848
03-27-2009, 05:28 PM
I like verdasco's forehand with all the power.

AAUS
03-27-2009, 06:00 PM
theres some videos online of Verdasco, Federer, Nadal and a few other players hitting in slow motion at Indian Wells in practice

Verdasco hits with a straight arm like Federer and Nadal except Verdasco takes a huge swing at the ball, Nadals backswing is comparatively small and federers isnt much bigger but in the video its pretty clear Verdasco is getting everything he can on his forehand. He used to have a little trouble with consistency but if he can take a swing like he does and keep the ball in the court consistently, thats why his forehand looks more dominant

rk_sports
03-27-2009, 07:29 PM
slo-mo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LetxCiRKSh8

counter_puncher
03-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Looks a lot like a western to me. Looks nothing likes Federers btw.

Mansewerz
03-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Look at the way he steps into the ball and transfers his weight. Sick!

OliverSimon
03-27-2009, 08:59 PM
he's trying to emulate nadal but he's got alot more firepower! Hes developing a great hard court game

xanger
03-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Looks like it's somewhere between an eastern and SW and he doesn't grip it as far down as Nadal and Federer.

what are you smoking?

he at LEAST has a semi-western grip, if not a western, or maybe somewhere in between. its not eastern at all

federer on the other hand, uses what you may call an "extreme eastern forehand." It is in between an eastern and a semi-western, but not completely semi-western.

JohnYandell
03-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Look at the heel pad on the forward swing in the clip. You can see it clearly and it's pretty much behind the handle. It's further under than Federer, slightly. Western means the hand is under the handle, so it's a relatively mild semi-western. What is similar to Fed is he can hit it so hard with a relatively flat trajectory.

sh@de
03-28-2009, 02:21 AM
looks semi western to me. Maybe strong semi west, but it sure doesn't look strong eastern or full western to me.

JediMindTrick
03-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Look at the heel pad on the forward swing in the clip. You can see it clearly and it's pretty much behind the handle. It's further under than Federer, slightly. Western means the hand is under the handle, so it's a relatively mild semi-western. What is similar to Fed is he can hit it so hard with a relatively flat trajectory.

Agreed, the heel pad is on bevel 3, the knuckle on bevel 4, which means mild semi-western, similar to Federer.

tennisnut16
04-01-2009, 01:28 PM
According to John Yandell (owner of tennisplayer.net), Verdasco uses a Moderate Semi-western (base knuckle on bevel 4 and heel pad in between bevels 3 and 4).

To me this seems kind of an awkward way to grip it, wiht your heel pad above your base knuckle. I don't know, maybe I'm gripping it too far up (heel pad), but maybe it's the other way around (heel pad on bevel 3/4, base knuckle on bevel 4?

JohnYandell
04-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Usually that's the way it goes. Federer Agassi Verdasco all the the heel pad higher.

Josherer
04-02-2009, 09:42 PM
i agree with shcmad. it reminds me a lot of federer's grip.

Yeah that's what i noticed... very simmilar to Fed.

JediMindTrick
04-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Usually that's the way it goes. Federer Agassi Verdasco all the the heel pad higher.

I think most pros have the heel pad higher, like Nadal and Djoko have knuckle on bevel 5 and heel pad on 4, extreme semiwestern.

ascdga
04-03-2009, 12:31 PM
what are you smoking?

he at LEAST has a semi-western grip, if not a western, or maybe somewhere in between. its not eastern at all

federer on the other hand, uses what you may call an "extreme eastern forehand." It is in between an eastern and a semi-western, but not completely semi-western.

Nah, the thing about some pros nowadays is they use a much smaller grip size than pros before. Makes their hands wrap around the handle farther and gives the impression of a more extreme grip that what they actually take. I look at where the V formed by the thumb and forefinger is located on the handle and it appears to be where a mild semi-western would be located. But that's just my opinion.

Oh and I don't smoke so, I my answer to your rhetorical question is I am not smoking anything.

Coaching
04-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Does anyone knows his grip size, it seems pretty small to me.

6rump
04-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Semi Western i think or maybe little bit of western on some of the shots....

ShcMad
04-03-2009, 11:05 PM
To me this seems kind of an awkward way to grip it, wiht your heel pad above your base knuckle. I don't know, maybe I'm gripping it too far up (heel pad), but maybe it's the other way around (heel pad on bevel 3/4, base knuckle on bevel 4?

I understand what you're saying, but after seeing pictures and video footage, it seems like quite a few pros grip it that way (heel pad higher than base knuckle). I don't know what your forehand grip looks like, but I personally don't think it feels weird gripping it in that style. You might wanna give it a try next time you play. :)

ShcMad
04-03-2009, 11:11 PM
JohnYandell, I have a question about Safin's forehand grip.

From watching videos and pictures, it seems to me that he holds it in more of a fist (or hammer) style than anyone else on tour. People like Federer hold it in a more pistol-style fashion.

By hammer-style, I mean that his heel pad position is way above his base knuckle. In other words, his knuckles run more parallel to the grip rather than diagonally.

Would you agree? And, why do you think he grips it that way? What are the benefits? If anything, it seems counter-productive in producing topspin.

http://www.safinator.com/moscow206/xsp1241012131024x768ax0.jpg

tsongaali
04-04-2009, 07:32 AM
Nah, the thing about some pros nowadays is they use a much smaller grip size than pros before. Makes their hands wrap around the handle farther and gives the impression of a more extreme grip that what they actually take. I look at where the V formed by the thumb and forefinger is located on the handle and it appears to be where a mild semi-western would be located. But that's just my opinion.

Oh and I don't smoke so, I my answer to your rhetorical question is I am not smoking anything.

Okay, what are you drinking?

JediMindTrick
04-04-2009, 01:54 PM
I understand what you're saying, but after seeing pictures and video footage, it seems like quite a few pros grip it that way (heel pad higher than base knuckle). I don't know what your forehand grip looks like, but I personally don't think it feels weird gripping it in that style. You might wanna give it a try next time you play. :)

I agree, it doesn't feel weird at all, it feels natural and it looks like most pros are gripping that way, so far we have Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Verdasco, Safin, probably many more. In fact I don't even know who invented the weird grips with the heel pad on the same bevel as the knuckle.

tennisnut16
04-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Does anybody have a picture of his grip close up? I am interested in seeing it and then maybe I can do it better.

JohnYandell
04-05-2009, 01:01 PM
He's close to Agassi or James Blake. Heel pad is a 3 or 3 1/2 and index knuckle is a 4. It's common for the milder semi westerns to have the heel pad higher.

You hear a lot of theories about hammer versus spread finger versus whole hand on the racket versus hand partially off the racket. Not sure I really have an opinion. You can't clone Marat and have him play two careers with two different finger configurations. All the players are different and I doubt the spread of the fingers in the difference. In either case, right, your hand is controlling the racket, and it's relative position of the hand to the bevels that influences the swing path.