PDA

View Full Version : Who is your current favorite and retired favorite....and WHY!!!!!

King of Aces
03-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Current favorite:

Santoro & Nadal....they both hit the ball "wrong". I love anything a little bit left of center.

Retired favorite:

Mcenroe... same reeason as above,

Im a rebel . ;)

gj011
03-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Current: Djokovic
Retired: Borg

King of Aces
03-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Retired: Borg

Why???????

tahiti
03-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Nadal - current favourite

Agassi - retired favourite. Why? His love for the game, his fantastic gallant effort in his 30's, the great maturation and transformation of his character over the years.

King of Aces
03-27-2009, 02:13 PM

Agassi - retired favourite. Why? His love for the game, his fantastic gallant effort in his 30's, the great maturation and transformation of his character over the years.

Good stuff. He is on my top 10.....but I love him for the way he hits the freaking ball. I have never seen anyone hot it that hard, that early and that flat.

Why Nadal?

veroniquem
03-27-2009, 02:15 PM

We have the same tastes :)

GameSampras
03-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Current-I dont have a favorite at this point. Though Cilic is beginning to grow on me. I enjoy Tsonga's game as well. One of the last few who have a net game. At least a decent one anyways

Past-Sampras

Breaker
03-27-2009, 02:16 PM
Im a rebel . ;)

Can't help but laugh a bit when I see comments like this, I can imagine it in a real conversation.

Person 1: "I'm a rebel"
Person 2: "Oh I see so you represent anti-establishment and all that, cool."
1: "Yeah my favourite tennis player is Rafael Nadal"
2: "..."

Anyway my top to watch right now is Lleyton Hewitt and of those retired are Boris Becker and Michael Stich.

Hewitt: Determination and heart, plays with passion that in my opinion hasn't been matched from any other tennis player I have watched. His mental aspect at his best is something any tennis player can learn from.

Becker/Stich: Stich for the silk smooth game and Becker for the athletic power tennis that perhaps was the first of its kind, both of them had great all court games and were great to learn from.

icedevil0289

I agree with you on that. That's why he's one of my favorites.

tahiti
We have the same tastes :)

:) Why do we like Nadal? Gee I could write a page, I thought by now it was obvious. Though he's been my favourite since 2005. 4 words

PASSION FOR THE GAME.

mandy01
Federer-Current Favourite.. I could go on for ages,but in a nutshell-The guy is just a tennis purist's dream.He's beautiful,he's all I ever wanted to see in a tennis player.While I dont play tennis on a regular basis,if I were to play the sport as a profession thats how I'd like to be.He's a great champion.Plus,I love him as a man.

Agassi - Retired Favourite..The guy was super entertaining to watch and a great champion.

GameSampras
03-27-2009, 02:17 PM

His love was there at 29 on.. Certainly he had interests or focuses outside of tennis prior to that

icedevil0289
03-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Federer-Current Favourite..The guy is just a tennis purist's dream.He's beautiful,he's all I even wanted to see in a tennis player.While I dont play tennis on a regular basis,if I were to play the sport as a profession thats how I'd like to be.He's a great champion.Plus,I love him as a man.

Agassi - Retired Favourite..The guy was super entertaining to watch and a great champion.

lol, we have the same tastes. I would also add edberg as a retired favorite as well.

GameSampras
03-27-2009, 02:19 PM
I never got the feeling Andre lived, breathed, slept tennis in his early and prime years. You saw that after what was his supposed prime should have been.

Pete was more of the player who made the sacrifices and lived the game in the 90s. While Andre's focus was clearly elsewhere doing Charities, worrying about celeb women etc

King of Aces
03-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Federer-Current Favourite..The guy is just a tennis purist's dream.He's beautiful,he's all I even wanted to see in a tennis player.While I dont play tennis on a regular basis,if I were to play the sport as a profession thats how I'd like to be.He's a great champion.Plus,I love him as a man.

I agree with you about Federer....but thats exactly why I dont like him. I'm a rebel ....I dont like the white cardigans and the classic style of tennis. I like the rebels and rock -n- rollers....Nadal, Mcenroe, Connors ....all my kind of players.

But I do agree with you...Rogers tennis is picture perfect.

mandy01
03-27-2009, 02:20 PM
lol, we have the same tastes. I would also add edberg as a retired favorite as well.
oh ..yes! Edberg too..Another beautiful guy to watch..I wish he could be Roger's next coach,but thats impossible.No harm in dreaming though.

mandy01
03-27-2009, 02:23 PM
I agree with you about Federer....but thats exactly why I dont like him. I'm a rebel ....I dont like the white cardigans and the classic style of tennis. I like the rebels and rock -n- rollers....Nadal, Mcenroe, Connors ....all my kind of players.

But I do agree with you...Rogers tennis is picture perfect. no problem dude,thats why diversity exists.Wouldnt it be boring if we liked the same players? Yes,Nadal is a rebel.More like 'not-traditional' type.Actually when I see him play he just makes me laugh.That look of concentration on his face is plain cute :lol:

thejoe
03-27-2009, 02:23 PM
King Of Aces- Being a rebel involves some individuality, and a sense of non-conformism. Liking the worlds #1 tennis player is none of these.

King of Aces
03-27-2009, 02:27 PM
King Of Aces- Being a rebel involves some individuality, and a sense of non-conformism. Liking the worlds #1 tennis player is none of these.

You have a point.

I even started a thread about just that.

I enjoyed Rafa a whole lot more with the capri's and sleeveless shirts. He burst on the scene looking like some sort of a freaking superhero.

But now he seems to have given in, I even read that he is now trying to hit the ball more like Federer......uggggggh.!

DarthFed
03-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Fed

Sampras

Thats it in a nutshell

thejoe
03-27-2009, 02:32 PM
You have a point.

I even started a thread about just that.

I enjoyed Rafa a whole lot more with the capri's and sleeveless shirts. He burst on the scene looking like some sort of a freaking superhero.

But now he seems to have given in, I even read that he is now trying to hit the ball more like Federer......uggggggh.!

I was talking about you, not Nadal.

King of Aces
03-27-2009, 02:35 PM
no problem dude,thats why diversity exists.Wouldnt it be boring if we liked the same players? Yes,Nadal is a rebel.More like 'not-traditional' type.Actually when I see him play he just makes me laugh.That look of concentration on his face is plain cute :lol:

well dudette,

You do realize that this question reveals ones personality.

You chose Federer and Edberg because those are the qualities you have and what you like in others.

You are a woman of class and someone who admires beauty and gracefulness.

See...now I know who you are!

icedevil0289
03-27-2009, 02:36 PM
well dudette,

You chose Federer and Edberg because those are the qualities you have and what you like in others.

See...now I know who you are!

she also chose agassi as well. Btw, I don't think this reveals much about anyone's personality.

King of Aces
03-27-2009, 02:37 PM
I was talking about you, not Nadal.

I understood and I think I answered appropriately.

mandy01
03-27-2009, 02:38 PM
well dudette,

See...now I know who you are! I wish I could be but in all honesty I'm not even close.But thanks mate,I appreciate your compliment and I hope thats what I mould myself into.

King of Aces
03-27-2009, 02:39 PM
she also chose agassi as well. Btw, this reveals nothing about our personalities whatsoever.

another very classy guy.

Dont you see a common theme in her choices? I guarantee that she does not like Mcenroe or Nastase or Becker.

All the players she chose are classy conservative guys who really dont make waves.

But trust me Mandy...they are boring....go with a rebel.....much more fun. ;)

thejoe
03-27-2009, 02:40 PM
another very classy guy.

Dont you see a common theme in her choices? I guarantee that she does not like Mcenroe or Nastase or Becker.

All the players she chose are classy guys who really dont make waves

Agassi not making waves? The guy boycotted Wimbledon because of the dress code...

King of Aces
I wish I could be but in all honesty I'm not even close.But thanks mate,I appreciate your compliment and I hope thats what I mould myself into.

Oh so you are not classy?

mandy01
she also chose agassi as well. Btw, this reveals nothing about our personalities whatsoever.true.It reveals our tastes.Actually Federer's grace,class,personality,looks did nothing for me when I first saw him.I was just instantly able to relate to him.It just clicked.Same with Agassi-though I saw him in the later stages of his career.

mandy01
03-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Oh so you are not classy?
I dont know.I'd love to be though.:)

King of Aces
03-27-2009, 02:41 PM
I dont know.I'd love to be though.:)

ahhh,..,....so those are the qualities you would love to have.....gotcha! ;)

tudwell
03-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Current: Federer, for the typical reasons. His grace, class, wonderful shot-making ability.

Retired: Edberg. Silky smooth volleys.

King of Aces
03-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Current: Federer, for the typical reasons. His grace, class, wonderful shot-making ability.

Retired: Edberg. Silky smooth volleys.

its always the same....anyone out there love the opposite players???

Like is there anyone who loves Nadal and Sampras as there favorites???

mandy01
03-27-2009, 02:46 PM
ahhh,..,....so those are the qualities you would love to have.....gotcha! ;)
yes..maybe.I look upto Roger and I sure know I'm not even close to being what he is.I always love guys like Federer but there's no rule I should like player who's essentially like Federer.Depends on who catches my interest.

King of Aces
03-27-2009, 02:48 PM
yes..maybe.I look upto Roger and I sure know I'm not even close to being what he is.I always love guys like Federer but there's no rule I should like player who's essentially like Federer.Depends on who catches my interest.

but look at who catches your interest....Federer, Edberg, Agassi.....theres a pattern there. says something about you....dont you think?

mandy01
03-27-2009, 02:49 PM
but look at who catches your interest....Federer, Edberg, Agassi.....theres a pattern there. says something about you....dont you think?
I dont know ..I dont know how much an internet forum can tell about someone's personality.

koalakoala
03-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Federer: He looks soooo graceful on court. I did not find him good-looking at first, but the more I watch his game, the more attractive he appears. He is stubborn, sometimes fragile, sometimes vain and big-mouth, but I accept him as a whole package.

Agassi: I always rooted for him against Sampras. Sampras's S&V is a little bit boring and I found Agassi more fun to watch. However, I don't dislike Sampras. It is all relatively speaking.

King of Aces
03-27-2009, 02:52 PM
I dont know ..I dont know how much an internet forum can tell about someone's personality.

lets give it a test.

I will bet you anything that Breakpoints two favorite players are Federer and Sampras.

Take a wild guess why????

Breapoint is a classical purists. He thinks there is really only one way to hit the ball and only one type of racquet to use. Everything else is garbage.

I am the complete anithesis to this ideology. Nadal does everything "wrong" and still wins. Thats why people hate Nadal. But it is also why I am a big fan!

TheTruth
03-27-2009, 03:02 PM

:::Here:::

I was trying to read the thread first, but of course you garner my attention, as usual.

Current: Nadal, for the way he burst onto the scene looking like no player before him. The look caught my attention. The game, the fierceness to compete floored me. He's a rebel. He took what everyone thought was supposed to be the way to play tennis and turned it on its ear. He's humble, he focused and incredibly determined. He's also very confident and sexy, but fun-loving at the same time. I'll stop!

Sampras: His game is sublime. It looks so easy. The motions are so smooth you have to look twice, because one minute he's at the baseline and the next minute he's knocking off a volley. He's also plays fast, the points are short. I've had to adjust to the long rallys, because that wasn't my preference, but now it's a baseline and that's all there is to it. But, back then he stopped those baseliners in their tracks and it was game, set, and match-Sampras. I also liked the way he carried himself, his respect for the game and his opponents. He never made excuses, he didn't reveal his frailties, and he took his losses on the chin.

What do the two have in common?: The confidence to be themselves in a world that demands conformity.

King of Aces
03-27-2009, 03:05 PM

I was trying to read the thread first, but of course you garner my attention, as usual.

Current: Nadal, for the way he burst onto the scene looking like no player before him. The look caught my attention. The game, the fierceness to compete floored me. He's a rebel. He took what everyone thought was supposed to be the way to play tennis and turned it on its ear. He's humble, he focused and incredibly determined. He's also very confident and sexy, but fun-loving at the same time. I'll stop!

Sampras: His game is sublime. It looks so easy. The motions are so smooth you have to look twice, because one minute he's at the baseline and the next minute he's knocking off a volley. He's also plays fast, the points are short. I've had to adjust to the long rallys, because that wasn't my preference, but now it's a baseline and that's all there is to it. But, back then he stopped those baseliners in their tracks and it was game, set, and match-Sampras. I also liked the way he carried himself, his respect for the game and his opponents. He never made excuses, he didn't reveal his frailties, and he took his losses on the chin.

What do the two have in common?: The confidence to be themselves in a world that demands conformity.

Or you could be a woman that is unsure of what she really wants??? Therefore it is VERY tough to make you happy.

How am I doing?

TheTruth
03-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Or you could be a woman that is unsure of what she really wants??? Therefore it is VERY tough to make you happy.

How am I doing?

Actually, I'm completely sound. I don't expect anything to be a certain way. I accept what is, and roll with the punches. I like blue jeans as much as I like a formal gown. I think I'm able to enjoy everything and not stick to such a narrow point of view. Life has so many things to offer. I avoid trying to fit everything into one nice package.

You did horrible.

thejoe
03-27-2009, 03:14 PM
For me, categorizing people is entirely redundant. What the hell is the point?

icedevil0289
03-27-2009, 03:16 PM

wait, weren't you the person who said you no longer like sampras?

Breaker
03-27-2009, 03:17 PM
For me, categorizing people is entirely redundant. What the hell is the point?

Judging from your avatar you appreciate the game of Feliciano Lopez which means that you yourself are a male model who is friends with Rafael Nadal and according to TTW may or may not be a homosexual.

Close? ;)

King of Aces
03-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Actually, I'm completely sound. I don't expect anything to be a certain way. I accept what is, and roll with the punches. I like blue jeans as much as I like a formal gown. I think I'm able to enjoy everything and not stick to such a narrow point of view. Life has so many things to offer. I avoid trying to fit everything into one nice package.

You did horrible.

hmmmmmm........

Then how about a rose as a make up present?

King of Aces
03-27-2009, 03:19 PM

:shock::shock:...Is truth busted?

Maybe I didnt do quite as bad as you say?

Methinks the lady protests too much?

TheTruth
03-27-2009, 03:26 PM

Yeah, but that's based on his mouth recently. I hate a big mouth. Do what you have to do. Talking is overrated.

thejoe
03-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Judging from your avatar you appreciate the game of Feliciano Lopez which means that you yourself are a male model who is friends with Rafael Nadal and according to TTW may or may not be a homosexual.

Close? ;)

Haha. Nice try ;)

icedevil0289
03-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah, but that's based on his mouth recently. I hate a big mouth. Do what you have to do. Talking is overrated.

oh okay. I was just a bit confused so I asked.

TheTruth
03-27-2009, 03:28 PM
hmmmmmm........

Then how about a rose as a make up present?

No make up required. Especially not a rose. I prefer Calla lilies.

King of Aces
03-27-2009, 03:29 PM

Nevertheless you dont like Sampras anymore because he is not the player you though he was.

So there is some rhyme and reason there!

I dont think I did horrible at all.

TheTruth
03-27-2009, 03:30 PM
oh okay. I was just a bit confused so I asked.

No problem. The truth is, once I like someone I tend to like them forever. I love Pete. Just think he's caught in a precarious position, that to me, he's not handling well.

King of Aces
03-27-2009, 03:32 PM
No problem. The truth is, once I like someone I tend to like them forever. I love Pete. Just think he's caught in a precarious position, that to me, he's not handling well.

Is that really the "Truth" ? ;)

TheTruth
03-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Nevertheless you dont like Sampras anymore because he is not the player you though he was.

So there is some rhyme and reason there!

I dont think I did horrible at all.

No, you're confusing player with persona. Pete's game will always be my favorite to watch, outside of Nadal. His persona was of the quiet, strong type. Now that he's not so quiet, it's irritating to me. In the past he handled the press so well. Let them come to their own conclusions. Now, every time they put a mike under his nose he's got something to say. So he was getting on my nerves big time.

But, a couple of weeks ago I re-watched a match of his, and all was forgiven.

So, now he's in my good graces again.

You still did horrible. You were on the wrong track.

King of Aces
03-27-2009, 03:39 PM
No, you're confusing player with persona. Pete's game will always be my favorite to watch, outside of Nadal. His persona was of the quiet, strong type. Now that he's not so quiet, it's irritating to me. In the past he handled the press so well. Let them come to their own conclusions. Now, every time they put a mike under his nose he's got something to say. So he was getting on my nerves big time.

But, a couple of weeks ago I re-watched a match of his, and all was forgiven.

So, now he's in my good graces again.

You still did horrible. You were on the wrong track.

Or am I ??

I had said that you were hard to please because you were unsure of what you wanted.

So you went from loving pete, to finding him irritating and now back to loving.

I don't know but with all due respect that sounds like a woman who is unsure of what she wants.

I think I was right on target.....now there is nothing wrong with being confused about what you want..... so please dont take it as a criticism.

I absolutely love your posts and I am just horsing around. :)

TheTruth
03-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Or am I ??

I had said that you were hard to please because you were unsure of what you wanted.

So you went from loving pete, to finding him irritating and now back to loving.

I don't know but with all due respect that sounds like a woman who is unsure of what she wants.

I think I was right on target.....now there is nothing wrong with being confused about what you want..... so please dont take it as a criticism.

I absolutely love your posts and I am just horsing around. :)

I would hardly get mad at you about your psychoanalysis. As long as you're not disrespectful we'll get along fine.

King of Aces
03-27-2009, 04:00 PM
I would hardly get mad at you about your psychoanalysis. As long as you're not disrespectful we'll get along fine.

I think this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship. ;)

The Don
03-27-2009, 04:31 PM
current: Nadal

retired: Sampras

why: simply because there both amazing players. Sampras serves are just crazy good and volleys very good. Nadal because his crazy forhand topspins and very good player. nice guy out of the court too :D

Blade0324
03-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Wow this thread got off topic.
Current Fav. is Ferrer or Nadal.

Retired is Agassi or Bjorg

TheTruth
03-27-2009, 04:59 PM

why: simply because there both amazing players. Sampras serves are just crazy good and volleys very good. Nadal because his crazy forhand topspins and very good player. nice guy out of the court too :D

It's kind of simple, actually. They're both amazing players.

Josherer
03-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Current: Fed & Nadal (2nd being Roddick): Can't top them. + great characters

Old: Laver

Andres
03-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Daniele Bracciali

Goran Ivanisevic

egn
03-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Current: This is tough most of the top 10 I like but are not my favorites...Ancic was my fav but as of recently I am favoring Cilic I like his game. Cilic has promise, good footwork and his netgame is really improving.

Past: Edberg...beautiful game enough said.

Toxicmilk
03-27-2009, 07:49 PM
I don't think this will go well with people, but my current favorite is Roddick. Sometime's it's a bit painful to watch him play, but that's a part of his appeal to me, to not be perfect. A close close favorite is safin...

Retired?....Um...It's hard to choose, there are so many.
Lendl?

deltox
03-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Roddick - love his game from serve to attitude

Andre - Love his game from attitude to serve.

mogo
03-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Current PETE SAMPRAS-Never afraid to lose with his game. Serve and volley all the time everytime. Goes for 2nd serves. Roger is a close second. Wish he played the same when he played sampras @ Wimbledon. It was like a mirror match of serve and volleyers.

Retired SAMPRAS again and Goron he was a monster @ serving. Rafter won 2 U.S. Opens Serve and Volley and on 2nd serves as well.

P.S. Haters talking about Federer losing it give the guy a break he is a little off. Had mono last yr., Got a kid this yr., and has made 18 grandslam semi-finals. My prediction is Roger will get Nadal this yr on grass.(Nothing against Nadal I love his work ethic i'm just tired of hearing this roger has lost it talk its annoying.)

helloworld
03-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Current favourite: Nadal
Retired favourite: Sampras

crabgrass
03-27-2009, 08:06 PM
currently no one really stands out for me, if i had to pick one then tommy haas but more often than not he's out injured.

retired it's the one and only ivan lendl

carlos djackal
03-27-2009, 11:44 PM
Current : nadal , Murray, Djokovic - I love to watch their double handed backhand at work and they are currently dominating the tour......

retired : Pistol Pete - love his S&V game he makes it perfect....Patrick Rafter - love his honest, gentleman behavior on court, like his never say die attitude,his fierceness and his s&V game ....

hellonewbie
03-27-2009, 11:52 PM
Current: Nadal, awesome ground strokes
Retired: Becker, beautiful service motion and diving volleys

King of Aces
03-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Hmmmmmm......

Wow this thread got off topic.
Current Fav. is Ferrer or Nadal.

Retired is Agassi or Bjorg

Pattern: Baseliners

People also tend to play the way their personalities are. You sound like a steady guy who is not a risktaker.

Current: Fed & Nadal (2nd being Roddick): Can't top them. + great characters

Old: Laver

Pattern: Politically correct

You really love the classica like Federer and Laver. But since Nadal is #1 you have chosen him so as not to anger anyone. If you could be a country you would be Switzeralnd.....neutral.

Daniele Bracciali

Goran Ivanisevic

Current: This is tough most of the top 10 I like but are not my favorites...Ancic was my fav but as of recently I am favoring Cilic I like his game. Cilic has promise, good footwork and his netgame is really improving.

Past: Edberg...beautiful game enough said.

Pattern: I dont know Daniele. But you like the big serve and volley game.

You are a risk taker. You take your chances. You are also from Brazil...you like Europe and Soth Americans a lot better than the Americans.

I don't think this will go well with people, but my current favorite is Roddick. Sometime's it's a bit painful to watch him play, but that's a part of his appeal to me, to not be perfect. A close close favorite is safin...

Retired?....Um...It's hard to choose, there are so many.
Lendl?

Pattern: The tortured champion

You are similar to Roddik. You try hard even though you are not the best.

Roddick - love his game from serve to attitude

Andre - Love his game from attitude to serve.

Pattern: The patriot.

You are an American through and through. I salute you!

Current PETE SAMPRAS-Never afraid to lose with his game. Serve and volley all the time everytime. Goes for 2nd serves. Roger is a close second. Wish he played the same when he played sampras @ Wimbledon. It was like a mirror match of serve and volleyers.

Retired SAMPRAS again and Goron he was a monster @ serving. Rafter won 2 U.S. Opens Serve and Volley and on 2nd serves as well.

P.S. Haters talking about Federer losing it give the guy a break he is a little off. Had mono last yr., Got a kid this yr., and has made 18 grandslam semi-finals. My prediction is Roger will get Nadal this yr on grass.(Nothing against Nadal I love his work ethic i'm just tired of hearing this roger has lost it talk its annoying.)

Pattern: the classics.

You like Federer and Sampras. Thats the classic choices.

Current favourite: Nadal
Retired favourite: Sampras

Pattern: The bandwagon (sorry)

You like the best. Whoever is #1 thats your pick.

currently no one really stands out for me, if i had to pick one then tommy haas but more often than not he's out injured.

retired it's the one and only ivan lendl

Hmmmmm.......not much of a pattern here except I dont think your really being honest,

I think you are really a Fed fan but are scared to so give that he has been losing. You are also being areful and waiting to see what happens. You are highly intelligent and calculating...very dangerous indeed!

Current : nadal , Murray, Djokovic - I love to watch their double handed backhand at work and they are currently dominating the tour......

retired : Pistol Pete - love his S&V game he makes it perfect....Patrick Rafter - love his honest, gentleman behavior on court, like his never say die attitude,his fierceness and his s&V game ....

Pattern: You like the best things in life

Only winners for you.....and you also like the more expensive things. No timer for losers.

Current: Nadal, awesome ground strokes
Retired: Becker, beautiful service motion and diving volleys

Pattern: The rebel

We think alike my friend. great choices....although I like Mcenroe better....Becke is right behind him.

migjam
03-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Current: Nadal
Retired: Muster

Both grinders, HUGE topspin and fight for every, single, point

Nadal_Freak
03-28-2009, 08:32 AM
Nadal. Lovely forehand and very humble
Agassi. Very clean hitter and a rebel in his early days. He was rock and roll tennis.

P_Agony
03-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Current:
Federer - I really don't have to say much here, his tennis speaks for itself. Best forehand ever too.
Gasquet - A lost talent, but has the most beautiful backhand I've ever seen, along with a great all around game. His mind sadly gets in the way of his success, and the same sometimes goes for his forehand and stamina.

Past: Sampras and Agassi - I like them both even they had very different styles.

Ocean Drive
03-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Safin

Not sure about retired, either Agassi, Ivanisevic, Henman or Escude.

Shaolin
03-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Current: Fed, Gulbis

Past: Sampras, Rios

dincuss
03-28-2009, 08:46 AM
Current: Safin (on a good day) why: He is great at almost everything.

Retired: Agassi, Sampras, Ivanisevic (on a good day) why: Great characters and all have their own specialty.

crabgrass
03-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Current favorite:

Santoro & Nadal....they both hit the ball "wrong". I love anything a little bit left of center.

Retired favorite:

Mcenroe... same reeason as above,

Im a rebel . ;)

hhmmm....santoro and nadal...you are most likely of latin persuasion

mcenroe eh , you are an arty type prone to an occasional hissyfit and possibly have a long lost irish grandparent

you like to see yourself as a rebel but in reality you only cross the street when the walk sign turns green and you live in a house full of cats

tudwell
03-28-2009, 11:45 AM

How are Federer and Edberg the same? Edberg was pure serve and volley. Federer's a baseliner. Seem pretty opposite to me.

King of Aces
03-28-2009, 01:26 PM
How are Federer and Edberg the same? Edberg was pure serve and volley. Federer's a baseliner. Seem pretty opposite to me.

Style and feel.

In todays babolat power game Federer is a throwback to the classic days.

Rogers one handed backhand slice, Feel and touch shots are about as close as you are going to get to the old days.

Rogers sense of style with his classic all white sweater and long pants Wimbledon outfit harkens back to the past...... Where edberg the classy swede who had the traditional game.

King of Aces
03-28-2009, 01:31 PM
hhmmm....santoro and nadal...you are most likely of latin persuasion

mcenroe eh , you are an arty type prone to an occasional hissyfit and possibly have a long lost irish grandparent

you like to see yourself as a rebel but in reality you only cross the street when the walk sign turns green and you live in a house full of cats

LOL ..... Nice attempt.

No I am far from Hispanic ..... My ancestry is Eastern European.

As far a Mac....... Ok I do have a temper and yes I certainly can have a temper tantrum. I would call it a "hissyfit". But you are right on with that one!!

As far as being a rebel..... Well I guess I'm nit going to blow up any buildings but I definitely like to rock the boat .

tudwell
03-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Style and feel.

In todays babolat power game Federer is a throwback to the classic days.

Rogers one handed backhand slice, Feel and touch shots are about as close as you are going to get to the old days.

Rogers sense of style with his classic all white sweater and long pants Wimbledon outfit harkens back to the past...... Where edberg the classy swede who had the traditional game.
I agree with some of your points and disagree with others. Federer has a great appreciation for the history of the game and definitely has a style of dress that hearkens back to the past, but his game is most definitely a product of the modern era. Lots of topspin off both wings (except when he slices of course), big forehand (really his whole game is built around hitting a forehand winner from the baseline, though he comes to net a lot too). And while I agree Federer has great touch, he doesn't use touch shots very much (especially drop shots). He mostly just blasts from the baseline.

klementine79
03-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Current-- Tsonga, just a physically intimidating player on the court, can actually S&V, genuinely enjoys himself-- great energy-- great forehand and serve.

Retired-- Lendl, for his discipline and commitment to fitness. Also was very intimidating on court.

TheNatural
03-28-2009, 02:29 PM

reason: Due to their brilliant technique, courts smarts and attitude, they're the most entertaining and easiest for me to support in their eras. Vamos.

helloworld
03-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Pattern: The bandwagon (sorry)

You like the best. Whoever is #1 thats your pick.

Did you just call me a bandwagon?? Boy, I am NOT a bandwagon. My favourite player is Sampras no doubt, with his godlike serve and offensive game. I've watched him play since his victory against defending champ Mats Wilander in the US open. I knew right away that this guy is going to be big!. To be honest, Nadal isn't even in top 5 of my all time favourite. My favourite players are mostly 90s players since that is the age that I was most involved with tennis. I'd prefer Goran, Becker, Agassi over the current field any day. 90s tennis had so much variety that today's tennis seems to lack. If I was a bandwagon, Nadal would be my all-time favourite right now, right after I finish dumping Federer. :???:

batz
03-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Murray is my favourite present player. Why? Well, I live about 10 miles form his family home and he came through a pretty heavy thing as a kid.

Retired favourite is really tough. Loved Pete, Johnny Mac and Connors. But Borg was something else.

joachim-babolat
03-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Current: Berdych

Retired: Ivanisevic

King of Aces
03-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Murray is my favourite present player. Why? Well, I live about 10 miles form his family home and he came through a pretty heavy thing as a kid.

Retired favourite is really tough. Loved Pete, Johnny Mac and Connors. But Borg was something else.

Well.......

By the way you spelled favorite I can tell that you are British . So no surprise with Murray.

egn
03-28-2009, 07:21 PM
You are a risk taker. You take your chances. You are also from Brazil...you like Europe and Soth Americans a lot better than the Americans.

So wait because I said I like two Croatians and a Swede you say I am from Brazil and that I like European and south americans better? and that I live in Brazil?

Edberg is my fav but I am also a huge Borg, Courier, Chang, Sampras, Fed, McEnroe fan. I don't like too many south american players because I am not a huge fan of any outside of Guga..I like a lot of mid to eastern european players or american players but I live in America..I don't take chances I like an interesting game. I like to see some variety something out of the norm, I appreciate most of the styles.

Edberg although he was S+V he always came up with crazy points at the net, shots that would not seem expected but he could pull off with grass.

Borg could mix up at the baseline but seeing him play at WImbledon was an experience he just seemed like a different player than on clay and the way he moved.

Courier I don't know it was an American having success on clay guess thats why I liked him.

I took a liking to Chang soley because of that underhand serve against Lendl lol..not got to even lie and I just always took a liking to him for that.

Sampras because he was just so damn good when he was on and found a way to do anything he needed to do.

Fed because he has so many weapons that he has at his disposal.

McEnroe because of his antics I like laughing when I watch my matches.

Cilic because as I said he has variety and he is going to become a good all around player.

Ancic because his net work was top notch if only mono didn't end him.

I also like currently playing...

Monfils because he slides that sound is so cool and he just can reach anything.

Qureery because he has spunk and can really bring it hard and heavy.

Santoro because the guy makes tennis look gorgeous

and last but not least Djokovic because he when he actually tries has a truly amazing game and is capable of almost anything

C-XIII
03-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Current: Tipsarevic and Verdasco
Retired: Agassi and Mcenroe

egn
03-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Well.......

By the way you spelled favorite I can tell that you are British . So no surprise with Murray.

Note

South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Ireland, United Kingdom and Canada all use the "u" actually only American's who speak english usually do not use the u. As American English is different from original english though you might be onto something with Murray though..but still he may not be British. As all the commonwealths of the United Kingdom or former commonwealths use the "our" instead of just the "or"

heftylefty
03-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Current Player: Federer because in spite of the crying at Aussie OPen is a class act and has a very sweet game.

Retired: Mats Wilander because his game looked very simple but very effective.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
03-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Jeremy Chardy. Parts of the old time game with serve and volley, but also more athletic than the average player of days way past. Nice to see these days, and hope he will go far.

Past favourite. Ivan Lendl of course! Then Michael Stich, but also for some reason I liked Carl Uwe Steeb. Strange.

King of Aces
03-29-2009, 01:34 AM
Jeremy Chardy. Parts of the old time game with serve and volley, but also more athletic than the average player of days way past. Nice to see these days, and hope he will go far.

Past favourite. Ivan Lendl of course! Then Michael Stich, but also for some reason I liked Carl Uwe Steeb. Strange.

A classy conservative.....

As a German you basically had your choice between the wild Boris Becker or
Michael Stich. You chose the later..... A far more quiet and classy guy.

batz
03-29-2009, 01:39 AM
:)Note

South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Ireland, United Kingdom and Canada all use the "u" actually only American's who speak english usually do not use the u. As American English is different from original english though you might be onto something with Murray though..but still he may not be British. As all the commonwealths of the United Kingdom or former commonwealths use the "our" instead of just the "or"

A good point, well made.

He's right though - I am British, although there was no need to get all Sherlock Holmes about it - I said in my post I live about 10 miles from Murray's family home!

tahiti
03-29-2009, 01:51 AM
Well.......

Just because one uses British English, doesn't mean they're British. Most schools teach British English and spelling. Many Chinese I've met also use British spelling. They all want the British accent :)

BorisBeckerFan
03-29-2009, 02:36 AM
Boris Becker.
The Diving volleys, the charisma, the enthusiasim for the game. At the time when he first hit the scene he was bring more heat than Lendl of both wings and the serve. Obvioulsy Lendl had the better career but the pace was part of what drew me to liking Becker's game.

srinrajesh
03-29-2009, 04:39 AM

transformed the game with his lethal topspin and new changed attitude (jumping out onto court, log hair and long shorts)

Past : Becker

Charisma being the youngest winner at wimbledon and a great serve and volley game

Drudge
03-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Lendl ---> Federer...a biased baseliners opinion, hehe.

Ripster
03-30-2009, 03:14 PM

Mind expanding on this?

Ripster
03-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Semi-current: Coria
Retirement: Agassi

vtmike
03-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Current - Federer!!!
Sheer class & perfection

Retired - Agassi
Best return game and amazing rebellious personality...

King of Aces
03-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Current - Federer!!!
Sheer class & perfection

Retired - Agassi
Best return game and amazing rebellious personality...

Your a B.S. Artist.

Breaker
03-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Mind expanding on this?

His grade school was gunned down when he was very young, he was one of the few who lived in his class. I'm sure there's an article about it somewhere but that's the gist of it, horrifying tragedy.

Edit: Found one in dailymail - read if you'd like it's really a gutting story.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1024250/Andy-Murray-I-sat-Dunblane-killer-Thomas-Hamilton-mother-gave-lift.html

T1000
03-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Current: Hewitt
Determintion, never gives up, the cmons and fist pumps

retired: Connors - fiery attitude
Mcenroe - serve and volley, touch volleys, entertainment
Agassi - Legend
Sampras - Serve and volley master, champion
Llendl - Terminator tennis
Nastase - the man

vive le beau jeu !
03-30-2009, 05:17 PM
current : federer, baghdatis, gasquet
retired : ivanisevic, edberg, rafter

(non-exhaustive lists) ;)

Andres
03-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Pattern: I dont know Daniele. But you like the big serve and volley game.

I am not from Brazil.

helloworld
03-30-2009, 09:04 PM
I am not from Brazil.
Your location is clearly stated below your avatar and he still didn't get it right, lol!! :lol:

Andres
03-30-2009, 09:06 PM
An American once said to me "Ahhh, Argentina! Capital of Brazil, right?"

:mad:

Elina
03-31-2009, 03:20 AM
Current: Arnaud Clément (I guess he'll be soon retired), Lleyton Hewitt, Juan Carlos Ferrero
Retired: Pat Rafter, Gustavo Kuerten (and several others)

vtmike
03-31-2009, 03:29 AM
Your a B.S. Artist.

What the hell?? Are you still on drugs?

What's so wrong about having Agassi & Federer as my fav players?

nhat8121
03-31-2009, 03:33 AM
current: Safin, Murray -- all around great, talented with personality
retired: Hingis, Agassi -- smart, not fast nor strong, yet amazing

hiruma21
03-31-2009, 03:41 AM
current:
Djokovic,Tsonga

retired:
Agassi, Sampras,Connors

King of Aces
03-31-2009, 06:21 AM
What the hell?? Are you still on drugs?

What's so wrong about having Agassi & Federer as my fav players?

Nothing except I dont believe that you are being honest.

Lets face it you have not been excatly what I would charchterize as friendly towards me.

Then you pick Agassi and Federer for the exact opposite reasons (Rebel & Classical).

Maybe you are telling the truth but more than just likely given our past.....I think you are screwing with me.

vtmike
03-31-2009, 06:28 AM
Nothing except I dont believe that you are being honest.

Lets face it you have not been excatly what I would charchterize as friendly towards me.

Then you pick Agassi and Federer for the exact opposite reasons (Rebel & Classical).

Maybe you are telling the truth but more than just likely given our past.....I think you are screwing with me.

Well I was just arguing with you...nothing personal...hell I don't even know you to not like you...so no hard feelings there buddy just a LOT of disagreements...

Yeah and I mean it...I loved Agassi because he had an amazing personality & the best baseline game...Is it not possible to like two different personality types?

I am...

I am not...

King of Aces
03-31-2009, 06:35 AM
Well I was just arguing with you...nothing personal...hell I don't even know you to not like you...so no hard feelings there buddy just a LOT of disagreements...

Yeah and I mean it...I loved Agassi because he had an amazing personality & the best baseline game...Is it not possible to like two different personality types?

I am...

I am not...

Ok so I guess that means you go both ways. ;)....just kidding.

*breaksracquet
03-31-2009, 06:53 AM

Current-Federer.

Retired-Agassi. Same reasons as above.:)

TheNatural
03-31-2009, 06:58 AM
I reckon his snot rockets turned you on.

I am...

I am not...

vtmike
03-31-2009, 07:29 AM
Delete Post

vtmike
03-31-2009, 07:29 AM
I reckon his snot rockets turned you on.

Well I don't fancy guys...But I'm sure Pete's tounge turns you on ;)

CCNM
03-31-2009, 03:58 PM
favorite current players-Federer, Nadal, Baghdadis, Mauresmo, Kuznetsova.
favorite former players-A. Sanchez Vicario, Boris Becker, Gabrielle Sabatini.

Also (since I can't find an introduction thread) I'm new here-a refugee from Federer's website.

Gen
04-01-2009, 07:04 AM
Retired: Borg, Edberg

Reasons:
Nadal is the best clay courter in the history of tennis, I just love clay tennis with its long rallies, angles, passiong shots, in other words I like the process rather than serve-point, another serve-another point...

Edberg is the best volleyer with such a beautiful touch. Speaking about volleyers people usually name Becker, Edberg, Rafter, Sampras, but the other three had powerful serves (Rafter's was a little bit erratic though), and Edberg was a true volleyer.

Borg was technically the most complete player. There wasn't a single component missing from his game.

And all the three of them have always been genuine gentlemen on court.

Rabbit
04-01-2009, 07:05 AM
Current: Stepanek
Retired: Nastase / Borg / Eddie Dibbs

Lunaticalm
04-01-2009, 07:46 AM
Hello. Newbie here.

Retired men: Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Thomas Muster and Michael Chang.

Retired women: Steffi Graf and Monica Seles (believe it or not), Anastasia Myskina, Lindsay Davenport and Martina Hingis.

Current Favorites

Men: Marat Safin, Richard Gasquet, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Andy Murray, Robin Soderling and David Ferrer.

Women: Jelena Jankovic, Gisela Dulko, Kim Clijsters, Vera Zvonareva, Ana Ivanovic, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova and Alisa Kleybanova.

shakes1975
04-01-2009, 04:24 PM

Agree about Sampras' game, but his personality ? Let's face it, Sampras had a chip on his shoulder when it came to the press. On the one hand he says he couldn't care less that the press called him boring as all he cared about was winning championships, and yet there are many instances where you could clearly see that he was seriously hurt as to why the press never went ga-ga over him. And that led to some hasty comments (remember the one on Rafter ?). As did his refusal to extend his contract with Nike just because he thought they made him play second fiddle to Agassi. I mean, if he was really so ... indifferent or careless about fame and popularity, he couldn't have cared less about playing second fiddle to Agassi in the media.

Sampras, like all great champions, had a massive ego. Only, unlike Fed, he hides it behind politically correct statements. And, I personally think, that's because he's from the USA. People from other countries are usually not so particular about being politically correct.

shakes1975
04-01-2009, 04:26 PM

reason: Due to their brilliant technique, courts smarts and attitude, they're the most entertaining and easiest for me to support in their eras. Vamos.

Not to mention that Nadal is the key to Sampras holding on to his slam record. I wonder how you forgot to include that reason too.

shakes1975
04-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Current: Fed - excellent blend of the modern and the classic
Past: Becker and Sampras - Becker was the original prototype all-court power player of the '90's. Sampras was Becker Ver. 2.0.

TheTruth
04-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Agree about Sampras' game, but his personality ? Let's face it, Sampras had a chip on his shoulder when it came to the press. On the one hand he says he couldn't care less that the press called him boring as all he cared about was winning championships, and yet there are many instances where you could clearly see that he was seriously hurt as to why the press never went ga-ga over him. And that led to some hasty comments (remember the one on Rafter ?). As did his refusal to extend his contract with Nike just because he thought they made him play second fiddle to Agassi. I mean, if he was really so ... indifferent or careless about fame and popularity, he couldn't have cared less about playing second fiddle to Agassi in the media.

Sampras, like all great champions, had a massive ego. Only, unlike Fed, he hides it behind politically correct statements. And, I personally think, that's because he's from the USA. People from other countries are usually not so particular about being politically correct.

He should've had a chip on his shoulder. The media decided Andre would the favorite and used their pens to get their point across. Andre hadn't done anywhere near what Pete had done, so it's only human nature to feel slighted. I mean, c'mon, calling someone boring? It's one thing to like Agassi and pick him as your favorite, but it's another thing to denigrate another player at his expense. That's insane.

Rafter started that fuss with Pete.

I'm from the USA. I believe in politically correct statements. The truth can hurt, and if it serves no actual purpose, why put it out there? Ex: Why would you tell a fat girl she's fat? She already knows that, in that instance the truth gets trumped by manners.

orangettecoleman
04-01-2009, 10:59 PM
current: santoro because with his crazy spins and dropshots he's like the harlem globetrotters of tennis.

retired: either mecir because he's so smooth, smart, and his strokes are so unique compared to players of his time (or any other), or muster because he just always focused 100 percent all the time and did whatever it took to scrape as much as possible out of what he had talent-wise. nobody ever worked as hard on or off court as he did, and that's why he is one of the three great clay courters of all time, and with half the talent of the other two (borg and nadal).

380pistol
04-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Retired: Sampras

Nadal - the humility, the way he does things his way. He doesn't whine, *****, moan or complain. He has heart and great character as a human being. I love the fact that he will fight no matter what and is fearless, and where I come from you gotta respect that.

Sampras - the game, the serve, the mind. I love his mind set, push came to shove, and he'd just bring his biggest weapon (the serve), and let the chips fall where they may. He just felt his best was better than yours. The confidence his game was built on self belief. He believed he could hold serve, he believed if he got one break the set was over, he just believed in himself. The fact he was never about mass appeal. That was him love him or hate him, he wasn't trying to impress anyone. He did what he had to do, did it his way, and if people didn't like it, oh well. And the fact he loved the big stage, he didn't just wanna win, he wanted to do it by beating the best (whoever that was).

shakes1975
04-01-2009, 11:39 PM
He should've had a chip on his shoulder. The media decided Andre would the favorite and used their pens to get their point across. Andre hadn't done anywhere near what Pete had done, so it's only human nature to feel slighted. I mean, c'mon, calling someone boring? It's one thing to like Agassi and pick him as your favorite, but it's another thing to denigrate another player at his expense. That's insane.

Calling a boring person boring is not equivalent to denigrating. Further, the press wants stories to sell - everyone knows that, including Sampras. He should've just smiled and let it pass.

Rafter started that fuss with Pete.

No, he didn't. Sampras started it and Rafter held the grudge. Sampras was still smarting from his loss to Rafter in the 1998 Indianapolis ?? champ. (just prior to the USO). He had just blown his fuse at the umpire over a call in the match (refuses to shake his hand). And right after that, during the press conf. he says the difference between him and Rafter is about 10 slams. He admits this in his bio.

I'm from the USA. I believe in politically correct statements. The truth can hurt, and if it serves no actual purpose, why put it out there? Ex: Why would you tell a fat girl she's fat? She already knows that, in that instance the truth gets trumped by manners.

I am not from the USA and so, for me, it depends on the tone used by the person. If the tone belies any sarcasm, it hurts. But if it's just an objective observation, it doesn't hurt me. On the other hand, if I knew that a person was just coating his statements with politically correct rhetoric, it cuts me the wrong way. I have come across people from other countries where they call spade a spade without any malice - just what they see. I don't believe as much in politically correct statements.

380pistol
04-01-2009, 11:42 PM

Sampras had a chip on his shoulder, and somewhat rightfully so. As someone pointed out Agassi was considered the press darling and Pete the outcast long before his disdain for the media came.

He made his goals clear, being loved by the press was not a priority, wining majors was. And to me Pete's not really egocentric, but has a strong self belief. He does say routine things in interviews, but numerous times he's spoken his mind, regardless of how he may be viewed. How can you say he hides behind politically corect statements then say he didn't give a rat's *** about the media??

380pistol
04-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Calling a boring person boring is not equivalent to denigrating. Further, the press wants stories to sell - everyone knows that, including Sampras. He should've just smiled and let it pass.

Boring may not be denigrating, but it's certainly not a compliment.

As far as selling stories, as Pete said that's not his job, and he wasn't going to do anything outside his character to make it easier for journalists. Let it pass, then why don't you tell that to the media, and let Pete do his job?? Sampras wanted to win -everyone knew that, including the media. Why couldn;t they just let it pass??

No, he didn't. Sampras started it and Rafter held the grudge. Sampras was still smarting from his loss to Rafter in the 1998 Indianapolis ?? champ. (just prior to the USO). He had just blown his fuse at the umpire over a call in the match (refuses to shake his hand). And right after that, during the press conf. he says the difference between him and Rafter is about 10 slams. He admits this in his bio.

No Rafter started it. Rafter said Sampras faked the injury during the 1998 US Open SF match they had. In 1998 it was 1) Cincinnati and 2) Pete's beef was the the umpire and not Rafter, hence he shook Rafter's hand after the match and not the umpire.

luckyboy1300
04-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Not to mention that Nadal is the key to Sampras holding on to his slam record. I wonder how you forgot to include that reason too.

who would bet that a samptard exists who is not a nadal fan?

shakes1975
04-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Boring may not be denigrating, but it's certainly not a compliment.

As far as selling stories, as Pete said that's not his job, and he wasn't going to do anything outside his character to make it easier for journalists. Let it pass, then why don't you tell that to the media, and let Pete do his job?? Sampras wanted to win -everyone knew that, including the media. Why couldn;t they just let it pass??

LOL, that's why they are the media. When have you seen the media pass anything off without turning it into a story ? Comon, are you so naive ? Sampras should have known how the media works.

No Rafter started it. Rafter said Sampras faked the injury during the 1998 US Open SF match they had. In 1998 it was 1) Cincinnati and 2) Pete's beef was the the umpire and not Rafter, hence he shook Rafter's hand after the match and not the umpire.

WRONG. The match I was talking about was BEFORE the 1998 USO. Sampras specifically mentions this in his bio. He first blows his top over a line call in the 3rd set (Rafter finally wins the match) and then quips about the difference between him and Rafter being 10 grand slams.

You can look it up in his bio as he admits this himself.

Being a fan of somebody doesn't mean you have to like or defend everything he says.

Xuxa Kuerten
04-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Retired:
Kuerten - a true genious, on and off courts. One of the best baseliners of modern tennis, a clay GOAT contender, he came out of nowhere to be a major champ and revolutionized the field. Tremendous charisma and humility.
Agassi - It was almost impossible for us, brazilians, to grow up watching tennis in the '90s and don't try to immitate him.
Kafelnikov - one of the most complete and technical players I've ever seen. Unfortunately he seemed to play only for money, but he was a tennis teacher.
Rafter - The best kick server of the circuit. The T area was his living room. Great personality.
Rios - Maybe only Federer has the same fluidity on his strokes. Unfortunately he was one of the least focused players of the tour. And he has a very bad record off the courts.
Sampras - The best serve of modern tennis. I've never seen a player with such confidence on his game.
Corretja - My second favourite claycourter. Beautiful strokes, and he was good enough to show a good level on hardcourts.

Current:
Tsonga - He plays exactly the type of game I would like to if I had the talent. Absurdly gifted and very charismatic as well.
Baghdatis - Another player that combines talent with persona. Unfortunately those injuries and his lack of focus are making him an underachiever. I love his backhand.
Bellucci - The biggest brazilian hope since Kuerten's retirement. His strokes are very paced, and he also has good hands on net. If he overcomes his lack of consistency he'll be a major threat to Nadal on clay.
Nadal - The most physically and mentally gifted tennis player of modern tennis. His humility is shown not only on his words, but on his capability of recognizing his weakness and being successfull (as no one else, I think) in being a better player. His learning habilities are superb.
Federer - Another genius, rarely gifted, fluid, classic and complete game. One of those unbeatable guys on his best days.
Safin - I guess no one (until Gulbis) could hit as hard as he can (or could). He can make a winner from everywhere. Sometimes he looks like a bear playing tennis. He's a underachiever, unfortunately. A Very cool guy.
Santoro - He knows how to treat a tennis ball, as if he understood its persona. What a finesse. He invented a few strokes, I imagine.
Nalbandian - Sometimes it seems he's able to have the best possible stroke for every situation. A very, very intelligent player (maybe the most one of the tour).

Razda
04-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Current - Federer
I always thought of of him as the flawed hero. Perfect player once, a shadow of his former self but still can perform beautiful tennis on occasion. Aging, becoming a father, stubborn and proud, like all people can relate with, makes him to me more appealing. No longer number one magnifys it. Federer has flaws, but with beautiful strokes and movement its very easy for me to root for him.

Retired - Michael Chang
I am asian american, he played a big factor for me to put tennis on the map for me. It also helps he was lightning fast with strong determination. I hope someday Nishikori replicate some sucess like Chang did.

norbac
04-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Current: Gasquet for his all court game when he's on.

Retired: Guga cause he's the man, loved his attitude, his game, the heart in clay. He's the reason I got into tennis.

Sadly Safin and Santoro will join the retired list after this year.

DavidGarcia
04-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Current: Nadal, Murray, Federer, Djokovic, etc......I like them all!

Retired: Albert Costa. I followed and watched almost every single of his matches on clay. I miss him on the tour. To me one of most underated player in his days.

shakes1975
04-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Retired: Sampras

Nadal - the humility, the way he does things his way. He doesn't whine, *****, moan or complain. He has heart and great character as a human being. I love the fact that he will fight no matter what and is fearless, and where I come from you gotta respect that.

True ... and before we forget ... the way he has stopped Fed from topping Sampras' slam record. Uh oh, how come we forgot the most important reason ?

Lol !! What is it with the rest of you Sampras fans ? You basically support whoever is good enough to stop Fed from reaching the landmark.

I was as staunch a Sampras fan as any one. I remember waiting and waiting ... and waiting for him to win his 14th slam. I was so happy that he beat media darling Agassi - with all his hype behind him.

And yet, when I saw Fed's game in his 2003 Wim SF and F victories, and his reaction after winning, I just couldn't help but love his game and his candidness.

For me, being a fan of Sampras and Fed are not mutually exclusive events. I wish it were the same for most of the other Sampras fans.